Sunline Super FC Sniper

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sunline Super FC Sniper

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 pm

I have tried several brands of Flouro over the years and had not found one that I was totally satisfied with. I found Seaguar Invisx had too much stretch for my liking and was not that sensitive in my opinion. Pline 100 percent Flouro was good in the sensitivity dept but did not handle well on spinning gear and had poor abrasion resistance. Pline Halo has a slippery coating that makes it tough to handle. Gamma was thick and did not handle well. Berkeley Vanish was a nightmare which breaks for no reason. Berkeley 100 percent Flouro handles well and has good abrasion resistance but is thick and in the middle as far as sensitivity goes. Toray Superhard Upgrade is excellent in all departments except for managibility and cost. I use it currently on all of my rods where feel is most important but cannot use it on spinning reels. I have been resisting using Sunline Sniper for a couple of years but finally got some 6lb last week and put it on a Certate 2500. I fished with it today and was blown away by how this line handles. It is very sensitive and thin. I had zero problems with loops. I did not catch anything over 2 pounds today but am pleased by the sensativity, abrasion resistance, and manageability. I will definitely change all my spinning and cranking setups over to this line.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sunline Super FC Sniper

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Most of why you said is dead on with what others have found. One recommendation I will make to avoid "the line I too thick" issue, is to shop purely on diameter. A manufacturer can rate the line however they want on the label.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm

steve1206 wrote:Most of why you said is dead on with what others have found. One recommendation I will make to avoid "the line I too thick" issue, is to shop purely on diameter. A manufacturer can rate the line however they want on the label.
Very tough to do when I have become conditioned to buy line based on lb test. Good point however and definitely a better way to compare lines.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm

njbasscat wrote:I have been resisting using Sunline Sniper for a couple of years but finally got some 6lb last week and put it on a Certate 2500. I fished with it today and was blown away by how this line handles.
The collective knowledge on TT is typically correct. :lol:

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:07 pm

njbasscat wrote:
steve1206 wrote:Most of why you said is dead on with what others have found. One recommendation I will make to avoid "the line I too thick" issue, is to shop purely on diameter. A manufacturer can rate the line however they want on the label.
Very tough to do when I have become conditioned to buy line based on lb test. Good point however and definitely a better way to compare lines.
Know what you are saying but your comment on Trilene 100 percent caught my eye with your only complaint being size. I used to use 8 lb seaguar on my spinning rods. When I switched it to Trilene I went to 6 lb. When you look at the vast array of lines available these days, diamter is the only way to go, especially with the imports playing so huge now. I guess things were easie when we were trying to choose between Stren mono or Trilene mono and everything else was "junk." :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:07 am

Yes, Sniper is great. And yes, you should buy fluoro by whatever diameter you want to use. You should not pay much attetion to the test rating. I had some old 8lb Tatsu that I put on a spinning reel yesterday to fish DVL because I was out of Sniper. I missed my Sniper.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:33 am

After all I mentioned about shopping by diameter, etc., I did fail to mention that it seems to be nearly a consensus that Sniper is the best (or very close) spinning reel fluoro on the market....I have heard that is can get a little funky in below freezing conditions, but that is just something I recall someone saying...not necessarily fact.