Line Conditioner

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
JDietsch
Angler
Angler

Line Conditioner

Post by JDietsch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Do you treat your fluorocarbon with line conditioner, like KVD's Line & Lure? Are there any negative effects with doing this?
"Take the road less traveled."

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Line Conditioner

Post by RIK » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm

I use KVD line conditioner, and haven't noticed any adverse affects at all. And it does seem to help, particularly with fluorocarbon. Just makes it a little more manageable. I'm skeptical of the claim that it helps reduce line twist - I'm not sure how adding a chemical to the line would affect a mechanical phenomenon...but who knows. Something I definitely believe in, especially for fluoro on spinning gear.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:51 am

I use it mostly on spinning reels and it helps. I have not noticed and negative effects. Not sure if it helps at all on casting gear as a long cast gets rid of all the ill effects of fluoro.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 am

KVD L&L conditioner has helped out a lot. I don't think I would use fluoro without it. I haven't noticed any negative effects except that it isn't given away for free. But I can say that it helps make fluoro more managable and durable.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 pm

RIK wrote:I use KVD line conditioner, and haven't noticed any adverse affects at all. And it does seem to help, particularly with fluorocarbon. Just makes it a little more manageable. I'm skeptical of the claim that it helps reduce line twist - I'm not sure how adding a chemical to the line would affect a mechanical phenomenon...but who knows. Something I definitely believe in, especially for fluoro on spinning gear.
just a shot in the dark here, but something (bail) would have to affect force upon the line to twist it, accomplished by friction. a slick coat on the line would mitigate some friction, causing it to twist less?
Set hard and set often

JDietsch
Angler
Angler

Post by JDietsch » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for the replies! I have some KVD line and lure that I will start using on my fluorocarbon now. I just wanted to make sure I couldn't mess anything up with it.
"Take the road less traveled."

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:08 pm

hit your braid too, keeps it slick
Set hard and set often

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

The negative effect is that the flourocarbon line will lose the light refraction index. Then again, that's not really the only quality for it's application.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I use KVD line and lure....works great. I use it on fluoro and mono.

Only caveat I would mention is that it is possible to use to much when treating line. I once spooled up a spinning reel with some multicolored 'camo' line and saturated the spool as I wound the line. I really did drench it. The reel dripped liquid the whole time I was spooling. When I went fishing all of my line was mostly the same color... the dye from the colored parts had leeched into the clear areas. Additionally, the line was so soft that I felt it was not living up to its #17 rating. Checked the original spool against the treated line and yeah.... the treated line broke a bit earlier than the untreated...it stretched more too.

This stuff is great, but don't let your line take a bath in it. :big grin:

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I am fishing just with spinning reels ,braid +fluorocarbon leader.

My "line conditioner"is "GUNK LIQUID WRENCH HEAVY DUTY SILICONE SPRAY" and never have problems using this product.
Jean

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 am

I use Varivas PE 10x10 conditioner for my Varivas braided and fluoro lines.
http://www.varivas.co.jp/morris/02_vari ... _spec.html

Excellent conditioner and excellent lines!