Which Fluorocarbon for Suspending Jerkbaits

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which Fluorocarbon for Suspending Jerkbaits

Post by bob75 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:32 am

I have not used any fluorocarbon lines since shortly after Seaguar Carbon Pro hit the market. Instantly disliked it compared to mono. Ever since have rationally or irrationally stayed away from any fluorocarbon line.

I'm fishing more jerkbaits and am considering fluorocarbon lines. I want a flexible line in 10# test, and am not concerned about stretch or abrasion resistance. Initially my choice was Seaguar invizx or Sunline Sniper. Or, perhaps one of the Berkley fluorocarbons would suffice. Although, there at least in the past have been negative comments (maybe primarily related to Vanish?). The lines would be fished on a baitcasting reel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Fluorocarbon for Suspending Jerkbaits

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:51 am

I'm using Sniper and like it but I just ordered a spool of Sunline Reaction Flourocarbon to try. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it compares.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:00 am

As a leader only... all of them will work.

oe

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:25 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:As a leader only... all of them will work.

oe
Will not be as leader only.

As a follow-up to my original post--how valuable is fluorocarbon for suspending jerkbaits vs using a similar diameter mono/copoly line?

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:47 am

bob75 wrote:
OkobojiEagle wrote:As a leader only... all of them will work.

oe
Will not be as leader only.

As a follow-up to my original post--how valuable is fluorocarbon for suspending jerkbaits vs using a similar diameter mono/copoly line?
You will hear multiple arguements for both. I believe fluoro gets my bait a little deeper and I can feel a fish hit on slack line much better on fluoro vs nylon. It also has better abrasion resistance which can be benificial if you fish around a lot of rock.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:34 am

Often, bite detection while fishing a jerkbait is a non-issue. When the water is <50 degrees, the fish are just "there" after a pause.
I have been using XPS fluoro, Trilene 100%, and Sniper for jerkbaits, all working equally well. I like the fact fluoro gets the baits noticeably deeper than with other lines.
Also,I religiously use KVD Line & Lure conditioner on flouro to make it more manageable.
Good luck! I think you'll find it's a big improvement over nylon mono or copoly's!

dan668
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dan668 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 am

Sorry to hijack the thread. Don't want to create another fluoro thread.
I'm also looking into using Flouro for jerk baits. I think I'm going to go with 12lb trilene 100%

Putting it on a 705 glass.
Would 10 lb be sufficient for the 704 glass tossing kvd 1.5? In my area bassare no bigger than 5lbs

Thanks

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 am

dan668 wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread. Don't want to create another fluoro thread.
I'm also looking into using Flouro for jerk baits. I think I'm going to go with 12lb trilene 100%

Putting it on a 705 glass.
Would 10 lb be sufficient for the 704 glass tossing kvd 1.5? In my area bassare no bigger than 5lbs

Thanks
Trilene 100% is quite a bit thicker than most so go by line diameter. I used 10lb last year for KVD 1.5's in light to no cover with no problems. In heavier grass I went up to 17 lb. For jerkbaits I would go with 8 to 10 lb depending on cover.

mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike304 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:36 am

I tried Seaguar Invis-X last year and was real happy with it. Felt every bump, even on slack line.
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 pm

bob75 wrote:I have not used any fluorocarbon lines since shortly after Seaguar Carbon Pro hit the market. Instantly disliked it compared to mono. Ever since have rationally or irrationally stayed away from any fluorocarbon line.

I'm fishing more jerkbaits and am considering fluorocarbon lines. I want a flexible line in 10# test, and am not concerned about stretch or abrasion resistance. Initially my choice was Seaguar invizx or Sunline Sniper. Or, perhaps one of the Berkley fluorocarbons would suffice. Although, there at least in the past have been negative comments (maybe primarily related to Vanish?). The lines would be fished on a baitcasting reel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Just a comment, why would you use fluoro for suspending jerkbaits? It's going to make the jerbait sink faster. Fluoro sinks it doesn't float.

I can only see using fluoro in this manner if it's a very quick pause type retrieve.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:30 am

Not all suspending jerkbaits are true suspenders. Some are slow floaters, some are slow sinkers. Some needs that water temp to be under 50 F or something to suspend. There's a lot of ways to tweak a suspending jerkbait and using a flourocarbon line is just another way to do it.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 am

slipperybob wrote:Not all suspending jerkbaits are true suspenders. Some are slow floaters, some are slow sinkers. Some needs that water temp to be under 50 F or something to suspend. There's a lot of ways to tweak a suspending jerkbait and using a flourocarbon line is just another way to do it.
X2! ! ! I've witnessed a "Suspending" Jerkbait drag Fluoro to the surface. I've Never witnessed Fluoro drag a "Suspending" JB down. I'm pretty sertain that Fluoro aids the Jerkbait to reach its maximum depth.
Personally I use 10-12# Shooter or Sniper.
MegabassUSA.com

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Also, with fluorocarbon lines being stiffer, you get the added benefit of reducing the amount of hook fouling whenever you're working jerkbaits, as compared to using braid.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 pm

vArm wrote:
slipperybob wrote:Not all suspending jerkbaits are true suspenders. Some are slow floaters, some are slow sinkers. Some needs that water temp to be under 50 F or something to suspend. There's a lot of ways to tweak a suspending jerkbait and using a flourocarbon line is just another way to do it.
X2! ! ! I've witnessed a "Suspending" Jerkbait drag Fluoro to the surface. I've Never witnessed Fluoro drag a "Suspending" JB down. I'm pretty sertain that Fluoro aids the Jerkbait to reach its maximum depth.
Personally I use 10-12# Shooter or Sniper.
I mention this for 2 reason's, I wanted to see why I should use fluoro and to add what I have experienced.

I have had fluoro pull a lure down. I was using Berkley vanish tranition and It would pull down an LC100 and an EEratic shad. It for sure would pull the nose down so they wouldn't sit level. I like my suspending jerkbaits to sit level. I just feel more confident when there sitting level.
Maybe it was the water temp. I tried using the fluoro with jerkbaits for the first time last fall and it was late fall.

Can you tell me what jerkbaits you guys were using. I'm guessing the slow floater/sinkers are mostly Vision's. I can't use vision's were I fish. They go too deep. LC pointers do also but not quite as bad. Were I fish it's very shallow. Most of my fishing is 2-4 feet.

This is a great thread. I have really got in to jerkbaits over the last 2 season's. I've caught some of my biggest bass ever on them now that I got the hang of them.

So I'm just saying what I have noticed.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:05 am

Tatsu, Shooter, or Toray Upgrade. I've also had good luck with XPS for jerkbaits and cranks.