Anybody have problems with Sunline Shooter??

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Anybody have problems with Sunline Shooter??

Post by white03 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I bought 2 spools of 14lb test Sunline Shooter last week, most expensive line I've ever bought. Used it for the first time today..in a tournament. It broke setting the hook 3 times on me!!! :cry: In fact it was so bad that after the first time it broke I tested the knot after retying...it broke so very easily. (Tied another knot and tested it,,,it broke again. Now guys I'm 54 and been fishng since I was 12, and using fluorocarbon exclusively for 10 years....so I'm not a rookie fisherman or bad at tying knots (and I know better than to tie a Palomar with fluorocarbon). I don't know the name of the know I was tying but it's the one Shaw Grisby on youtube says is the best for fluorocarbon, and it has worked great in Invizx which is what I had been using.) Ok so at this point I tried another knot right, this one seemed to hold when I tested it, but it broke on the hookset!!! Now I'm getting upset :evil: So I tried another different knot, tested it and it seemed to hold without breaking, set the hook and guess what...it broke again!!! :evil: :evil:

Maybe my experience is unique...or maybe others have had this problem with Shooter??

Can't believe I spent $80 on 300 meters of line that is this crappy!!!!!!!

Bill

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anybody have problems with Sunline Shooter??

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Where did you buy it? I have not had any problems with Shooter. I get mine from TW. The reason I am asking where you got it from is that I have not seen a 300m spool anywhere but eBay.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Got it from TW, it's not a 300 m spool...it's 2 spools of 150 m each @ $38.99 per spool

Don't missunderstand, it's not TW fault they shipped what they believed was good line...

What knot are you tying? believe me I want to use this line after what I have invested in it

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:09 am

white03 wrote:Got it from TW, it's not a 300 m spool...it's 2 spools of 150 m each @ $38.99 per spool

Don't missunderstand, it's not TW fault they shipped what they believed was good line...

What knot are you tying? believe me I want to use this line after what I have invested in it
I use a Parlomar always. Never had one slip or break using Toray Superhard or Sunline Shooter. I have much more time on the water with Toray Superhard but switched a month ago to Shooter because I was so impressed with Sniper so I have not put Shooter to the test yet. Fishing is slow in NJ now and all of the fish I have caught this winter are 2 pounds and under. I will be able to better access the strength and fishability of Shooter in 2 months. A lot of people use it so someone else will chime in I'm sure.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm

haven't had a single breakage on my shooter yet. even on the 5 lb test.

just wish it wasn't so expensive.

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Froteur what knot are you using please??

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm

white03 wrote:Froteur what knot are you using please??
fishin' fool knot. i also use the palomar when i am in a hurry (yes, with fluoro). :big grin:

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 am

Haven't had any breakage issues with Shooter. Fished it in some semi-nasty stuff and was surprised at how I was able to pull fish out without any issues. I tie a pretty generic half-blood knot with 7 or 8 turns on my worm hooks and have not had any breakage issues.

andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by andrey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 am

i use the improved clinch knot and have had zero issues with my 8 and 10 lb sunline shooter.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:51 pm

It's not the line's fault (unless you got a bad batch). A few things come to mind:

- Tie knot slow and perfectly. If the knot isn't perfect, it will perform like crap on fluoro. Mono and other lines you can get away with it, but fluoro will force you to tie it perfectly.

- Are you wetting the line before cinching down the knot? With fluorocarbon, you cannot skip this crucial step.

- Fluoro is easily damaged in heat/sunlight, keep it out of the sun and out of hot parked car.

- Use a better knot, try the doubled uni knot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Nytron wrote:It's not the line's fault (unless you got a bad batch). A few things come to mind:

- Tie knot slow and perfectly. If the knot isn't perfect, it will perform like crap on fluoro. Mono and other lines you can get away with it, but fluoro will force you to tie it perfectly.

- Are you wetting the line before cinching down the knot? With fluorocarbon, you cannot skip this crucial step.

- Fluoro is easily damaged in heat/sunlight, keep it out of the sun and out of hot parked car.

- Use a better knot, try the doubled uni knot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI
I would agree with everything said here except that fluoro is easily damaged by sunlight. Heat caused by friction, no doubt. But one of fluoros attributes is that it is not easily damaged by sunlight. I would like to hear some opinions. (sorry if I hijacked the post but it is older)

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm

X3! On tying a Perfect Knot, SLOWLY and SUPER WET.
Fluoro generates A LOT of heat when it comes in contact with itself during the knot tying process which can weaken the line dramatically so it needs to be very wet when you cinch the knot down, tied slowly and perfect.
MegabassUSA.com