Fluorocarbon Jig knots

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Fluorocarbon Jig knots

Post by bassninja » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:57 am

What's your favorite or most effective knot that you use to tie jigs with using fluorocarbon? I've been using the improved clinch for jigs and haven't had much issues. I heard that the san diego knot is the way to go with fluorocarbon but I haven't had enough issues to switch from what I'm using now. I've read that the palomar knot is not good for fluoro. Anyone have issues with the palomar for fluoro and jigs?

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fluorocarbon Jig knots

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:15 pm

I've been using the Shaw Grigsby knot (not sure its real name) and it seems to work really well for fluoro and mono. I've been using some knots off Knot Wars and the Knot Wars app on my iPhone testing them head to head with the S. Grigsby knot and it wins most of the time.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 pm

I use the palomar for everything and do not have any issues. I have read that people have issues with this knot but I have been using it for 15 years and can't rember any knot failures with fluoro, braid, or nylon.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:50 pm

njbasscat wrote:I use the palomar for everything and do not have any issues. I have read that people have issues with this knot but I have been using it for 15 years and can't rember any knot failures with fluoro, braid, or nylon.
X2

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:15 pm

The eyecrosser has become my favorite fluoro knot for the last couple of years. I seems to cinch up really nice for me with fluoro and I don't use a lot line tying it.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Dbl San Diego jam knot
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:57 pm

PALOMAR knot.
Jean

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 am

I use the un-named knot that shaw Grisby talks about

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 am

Palomar is great.
But I've switched over to the Miller knot. This video shows how to tie it after he shows you an Albright knot.

I mainly switched over because its SO much easier to tie treble hook bait then a Palomar and it ties as quickly as a Palomar. Now it's my go to for most applications.
MegabassUSA.com

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:27 am

x2 on the miller knot. knot wars tested it to have the highest breaking strength for mono and fluoro but it didn't do well on braid.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Doubled uni knot, best fluoro knot I've found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I have been using the Ian Miller knot with great success for 3 years now. I use it when trolling 80lb mono offshore and jigging and popping tuna with tests ranging from 80-160lbs (floro)

I'll use it as well in FW for bass, pike and muski. But when there aren't any weeds and structure hasn't really grown in yet I'll just tie a quick uni knot.

Braid. Always either a single, or double uni. Polomars will slip or break. The double uni tests higher. I also use a double uni inshore for striped bass, and offshore when I tie direct to terminal tackle with braid.

Line to line. If i'm not serving and splicing hollow. I tie a 50+ turn bimini twist to a Improved bristol (reverse yucatan). If I'm plugging and want distance I'll tie an Alberto knot.

I've only had 1 knot fail in my entire life....And that was that useless albright knot. 40 turns and the mono pulled right out leaving the braid and its wraps in its full glory to laugh at me.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Nytron wrote:Doubled uni knot, best fluoro knot I've found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZ8SBI8sGI
Two problems with the double uni with mono or flor. When pulled tight and stressed. It only stands on one leg. If you fight a fish for awhile check the knot. One leg will be locked tight to the hookeye and the other will be loose.

The biggest problem is you have 3 tag ends to collect grass

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:58 pm

I have been using the sandiego jam knot for several years and I have never had a break off or any kind of knot failure.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:18 pm

I have tried quite a few and I also really like the knot Shaw Grigsby shows/uses.