Anyone else hate fluorocarbon?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Anyone else hate fluorocarbon?

Post by Dabluz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I just can't find anything good about it. Just about everything positive that has been said about this line has been proven to be untrue. Just about everything that is negative about this line has been true.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone else hate fluorocarbon?

Post by tywithay » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:18 pm

I got some FC Sniper 6lb a while back in a buy 1 get 1 free deal and I liked it for the most part, though I wouldn't pay full price for it. I don't really have anything too negative to say about it, but for the money I'll stick with my mono.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:15 pm

For contact baits where slack might get in the line, I really like it, because I've found it to be much more sensitive than mono & not have that dead feel a lot of braid has on slack line. Other than that, it handles like crap, my brakes have to be turned up significantly over braid/mono to keep control of it, limiting casting distance & the few times I've had knot slippages, it's been with fluorocarbon. I've never bought the "low stretch" claims either, as I have to slam them just as hard on fluoro as I do mono to get solid hooksets & it's not even close to braid/superlines, where I've slammed hooksets(got stuck in the mono/fluoro hookset mindset) & yanked the hooks right out of their mouths. So I'll never be in the "everything but topwater" crowd in regards to fluorocarbon & you won't see me touting it for anything other than contact baits.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:15 pm

High quality fluorocarbon is very sensative and has great abrasion resistance. It takes some time to get used to the way it handles. It is not as forgiving as nylon or braid but you can compensate for this by setting your brakes a little higher until you get the feel for the line. I have been using fluoro for about 8 years as a main line and will say that the cheaper stuff is not in the same league as the Japanese imports. I have read about all the negatives including poor knot strength, degradation, poor handling, etc. I just don't find this to a problem on the water. I can't remember ever breaking at the knot. I have reels that have gone 2 seasons with the same spool so degradation has not been a problem. Poor handling is debatable depending upon how stiff the line is but as I said above you can overcome this. The biggest drawback is the price. No doubt it is expensive and if you are fishing on a tight budget it may not be the best choice. I don't use fluoro on every setup. Braid is king in heavy grass and I like nylon for poppers and walkling baits. For everything else I use fluoro.

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:28 pm

njbasscat wrote:High quality fluorocarbon is very sensative and has great abrasion resistance. It takes some time to get used to the way it handles. It is not as forgiving as nylon or braid but you can compensate for this by setting your brakes a little higher until you get the feel for the line. I have been using fluoro for about 8 years as a main line and will say that the cheaper stuff is not in the same league as the Japanese imports. I have read about all the negatives including poor knot strength, degradation, poor handling, etc. I just don't find this to a problem on the water. I can't remember ever breaking at the knot. I have reels that have gone 2 seasons with the same spool so degradation has not been a problem. Poor handling is debatable depending upon how stiff the line is but as I said above you can overcome this. The biggest drawback is the price. No doubt it is expensive and if you are fishing on a tight budget it may not be the best choice. I don't use fluoro on every setup. Braid is king in heavy grass and I like nylon for poppers and walkling baits. For everything else I use fluoro.
What size fluorocarbon? If it's 10 to 15 lb test fluorocarbon, I guess a few lbs here and there do not really stand out but when you use 2 to 4 lb mono and then you one day use some 6 lb fluorocarbon....you can really tell the difference.....especially when it's very evident that the mono is much stronger and easier to handle.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Not all FCs are the same. Frankly, I had terrible experiences with Berkely FCs and wonderful experiences with Sunline.

I was fishing #6 FC today and did very well on a finesse jig.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 pm

I stick to toray and sunline fluorocarbon. Nothing out there beats these two lines. Ive learned to love fluoro.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 pm

falcon wrote:I stick to toray and sunline fluorocarbon. Nothing out there beats these two lines. Ive learned to love fluoro.
2X I'd also throw Tatsu in the mix. You really get what you pay for when it comes to Fluoro.

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by artiea » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:27 pm

The "feel" is where it is at. No comparision between flouro and mono. Really great for any "feel" baits like jig or worms. I have had guys pick up my set ups with flouro and set the hook on every blade of grass. I love it-

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:32 am

I use fluoro over mono due to a few factors: Sensitivity, abrasion, and stretch. Greater sensitivity (especially with slack line), greater abrasion, and fluoro stretches a different way than mono, letting you have a better feel.

To me, those factors alone make fluoro a much better buy than mono.

I also don't buy into the whole invisible thing. I believe 15lb mono is less visible than 20lb fluoro.

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:05 am

ogrich31 wrote:I use fluoro over mono due to a few factors: Sensitivity, abrasion, and stretch. Greater sensitivity (especially with slack line), greater abrasion, and fluoro stretches a different way than mono, letting you have a better feel.

I also don't buy into the whole invisible thing. I believe 15lb mono is less visible than 20lb fluoro.

I guess you haven't seen any of the tests done by Tackle Tour and others about abrasion resistance, stretch, line stress, knot strength etc etc.

Yes...fluoro stretches a different way. Once it is stretched or (stressed), it stays stressed.

I think that copolymer lines will take over. They can offer the hardness of the outer coating for abrasion resistance while controlling stretch, water absorption and line handling.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 am

I use fluorocarbon for leaders with braid. Works great for my applications. :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 am

Dabluz wrote:
ogrich31 wrote:I think that copolymer lines will take over. They can offer the hardness of the outer coating for abrasion resistance while controlling stretch, water absorption and line handling.
Although I doubt that copoly lines will take over, I much prefer them over fluoro.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:35 pm

Dabluz wrote:
ogrich31 wrote:I use fluoro over mono due to a few factors: Sensitivity, abrasion, and stretch. Greater sensitivity (especially with slack line), greater abrasion, and fluoro stretches a different way than mono, letting you have a better feel.

I guess you haven't seen any of the tests done by Tackle Tour and others about abrasion resistance, stretch, line stress, knot strength etc etc.

Yes...fluoro stretches a different way. Once it is stretched or (stressed), it stays stressed.

I think that copolymer lines will take over. They can offer the hardness of the outer coating for abrasion resistance while controlling stretch, water absorption and line handling.
I have read the fluorocarbon showdown parts 1and 2 several times as well as all of the other reviews on the lines tested by TT. The reason I tried Toray Superhard was because of the TT review. As I said above I have not had a problem with degradation. It actually performs better once I stretch it out a bit. I have also used nylon and fluoro side by side fishing around rock and the fluoro does not knick while the rocks shread the nylon line. I have also tested several fluoro brands side by side in the same way and found that Toray and Sunline out performed Pline. Berkley 100% has good abrasion resistance but is not nearly as sensative. As others have said above, Toray and Sunline seem to be in a different class compared to many other lines. Sensativity is most important to me followed by line strength and abrasion resistance. I have not found a nylon line that comes close to good fluoro in terms of sensativity. I use fluoro from 6lb to 20lb. Anything over 20lb becomes difficult to handle so I opt for braid with a fluoro leader.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Dabluz wrote:
njbasscat wrote:High quality fluorocarbon is very sensative and has great abrasion resistance. It takes some time to get used to the way it handles. It is not as forgiving as nylon or braid but you can compensate for this by setting your brakes a little higher until you get the feel for the line. I have been using fluoro for about 8 years as a main line and will say that the cheaper stuff is not in the same league as the Japanese imports. I have read about all the negatives including poor knot strength, degradation, poor handling, etc. I just don't find this to a problem on the water. I can't remember ever breaking at the knot. I have reels that have gone 2 seasons with the same spool so degradation has not been a problem. Poor handling is debatable depending upon how stiff the line is but as I said above you can overcome this. The biggest drawback is the price. No doubt it is expensive and if you are fishing on a tight budget it may not be the best choice. I don't use fluoro on every setup. Braid is king in heavy grass and I like nylon for poppers and walkling baits. For everything else I use fluoro.
What size fluorocarbon? If it's 10 to 15 lb test fluorocarbon, I guess a few lbs here and there do not really stand out but when you use 2 to 4 lb mono and then you one day use some 6 lb fluorocarbon....you can really tell the difference.....especially when it's very evident that the mono is much stronger and easier to handle.
I don't think anyone will argue thay nylon handles better than fluoro. As far as it being much stronger than fluoro, I would say that in lab tests this seems to be the case but my drag takes over long before the line is stressed to the limit of breaking when using nylon or fluoro.