Do people really think line should last a whole season

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Do people really think line should last a whole season

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

I'll also add this - if you don't use a reel cover, then you are aging your line more than you have to.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I'll also add this - if you don't use a reel cover, then you are aging your line more than you have to.
I just started using reel covers this past season. Glad to see about this advantage. I just thought I was protecting my expensive reels!

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Like most I change when needed. And that depends on cast or spin, lot of use or only occassional etc. Most of the time I will respool my spinning reels after several trips using the particular reel. I only spool 65 yards or so of new line so I don't bother to reverse the line. Bulk spools of 4,6,8 etc. My braid reels only get new line if I breakoff enough to tell. Mono/floro 15 and up maybe one time a year and that is almost allways early in the year. Casting 10-14 two or three time a year. When I fished tournaments I usually replaced line on all my "main" outfits before the tournament, again except for braid. I do find a spinning spool with small braid (10 to 20) will go a year replacing leader as needed or every couple of trips.

RedRockfishin
Angler
Angler

Post by RedRockfishin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 pm

In the past I have changed line once a month because I 0nly had 3 rods and reel setups I have doubled that for this year and am trying sunline shooter defier and sniper anxious to see how that holds up. Dont know how much Ill be changing the line on those reels. Id hate to loose a big fish because of line neglect or throw off a high priced lure, who knows how long line sets at the factorey before it ever gets shipped to retailers So ill probably still be changing my line often.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 am

Tokugawa wrote:I'll also add this - if you don't use a reel cover, then you are aging your line more than you have to.
UV is an enemy of line, but so is high heat. If the reel cover is dark, like the popular black neoprene covers, and it bakes in the sun, I wonder whether the line is any better off.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am

Bronzeye wrote:
UV is an enemy of line, but so is high heat. If the reel cover is dark, like the popular black neoprene covers, and it bakes in the sun, I wonder whether the line is any better off.
I'd assume most are like me & take the cover off when it's in rotation & only put it on when it's going into the box, so the cover is off when on the deck. Now in the box in the heat, I can see the covers trapping some extra heat, but not a significant amount over whatever is already in the box.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Temps have to get above 150F to really start affecting the line. I'll run an experiment this summer and leave a fuego uncovered and a fuego covered to see if it makes a difference.
KCL655321 wrote:I'd assume most are like me & take the cover off when it's in rotation & only put it on when it's going into the box, so the cover is off when on the deck. Now in the box in the heat, I can see the covers trapping some extra heat, but not a significant amount over whatever is already in the box.
I leave my reel covers on when they are on the deck and not in use.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am

This is one of those threads that's going to see a divide in opinion between mono users and the rest of us right? I replace my fluorocarbon once a year and my braided lines once every other year. The reel or two I have with mono would get replaced more often if I ever used them.

Spinning reels twist up a lot and that could potentially lead to a premature respooling.

Backlashes happen once in a while too. Some of them eat up enough line to make you respool (My Alphas had some 10lb Sunline on there from the very beginning of last season. I would have most likely fished it through this season too but a backlash cost me about half a spools worth of line)

Spectra lasts pretty much forever in my experience. Im replacing the 55lb Samurai on my Zillion just because i've tied enough leaders on it that the tag ends have cost me about a quarter of a spools worth of line.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

As has been said, it depends on how often use it. The only thing I have to add is that Sunline Sniper is one of the best fluoros when it comes to the least amount of line memory. Take a look at Jared Lintner's latest video on TackleWarehouse.com. That is how a soft fluoro should look after being on your reel for several weeks.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:14 pm

I only use braid and therefore have no degrading problems like mono does. The exception is Fireline because it fluffs up too much and I hate it on a baitcaster. I have braids that have been on reels so long they have become white, at least on the first few layers, but still have great knot strength. About the only thing I might do is reverse them on the spool.
JD

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jean Scurtu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:12 pm

I am fishing just with braid +fluorocarbon leader.I have some SPIDER ULTRACAST 10 lb.,green for 6 years on one of my reels and still the same ,just now the color is lighter.

FishG3
Angler
Angler

Post by FishG3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 am

I'll generally switch out line once a month from April-September those are when I fish 5 days a week. Call me weird but after putting a brand new spool of line on it gives me some confidence and it's just nice to fish with it.

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:35 am

Talking of reel covers--I use a large fly reel cover for my small frame low profile baitcasters, much easier to take on and off and protects line from uv rays and the entire reel and handle from scratches--not just from sun but also boat spray. http://burfish.com/catalog/9538.html

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 am

Personally I am a little hard-core about line. I use backing, so I am only spooling what is necessary for a long cast. And when I am at Lake Fork for several days or elsewhere on a long road trip trip I will "respool" (what I am actually fishing with on top of backing) after every day of fishing. Each morning I have new line. But usually I am not using Sunline or braid, but 20# Stren mono or Excalibur or Pline (stuff I get in bulk spools). If I am fishing locally I will respool after a 2 or 3 fishing-days on the water.

To me it is peace of mind; I have broken of a few fish long ago that I attributed to my frugality and lack of changing line. Plus my time on the water is getting more rare compared to few years ago. I don't skimp line and rods and always use fresh, good line and high-modulus rods; those two items are to me the two most important tools and are listed in that order (with reels being a distant third).