Finesse baitcasting line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finesse baitcasting line

Post by Silas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm

I have to emend my post on the Fireline Tracer Braid 20# on my Daiwa Sol.

I use this with a flouro leader, and today, I caught a few fish with it and the Fireline would tend to dig into itself. After I started fishing again, I was not satisfied with the ease of casting. It seems to do ok with 1/8 oz shaky head and 4.5 inch Squirrel tail, but when I went to 1/16 oz shaky head, it balked a bit. I could cast it, but it spooled back loosely. (I suppose I'll have to put my fingers on the line and put some tension as I reel back in. don't really want to do this.)

SO.....I'm going to take the braid off the Daiwa SOL and replace it with some 7# Sunline Biwako Professional Guide flouro. I've been using it on the Pixy in 8# and find it is the perfect line.

Still looking for the perfect rod/reel/line set up for finesse. I got the Tasline in from Australia and will put on Pixy after I use the Sunline Biwako FC for awhile....maybe next season.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Silas wrote:I have to emend my post on the Fireline Tracer Braid 20# on my Daiwa Sol.

I use this with a flouro leader, and today, I caught a few fish with it and the Fireline would tend to dig into itself. After I started fishing again, I was not satisfied with the ease of casting. It seems to do ok with 1/8 oz shaky head and 4.5 inch Squirrel tail, but when I went to 1/16 oz shaky head, it balked a bit. I could cast it, but it spooled back loosely. (I suppose I'll have to put my fingers on the line and put some tension as I reel back in. don't really want to do this.)

SO.....I'm going to take the braid off the Daiwa SOL and replace it with some 7# Sunline Biwako Professional Guide flouro. I've been using it on the Pixy in 8# and find it is the perfect line.

Still looking for the perfect rod/reel/line set up for finesse. I got the Tasline in from Australia and will put on Pixy after I use the Sunline Biwako FC for awhile....maybe next season.

keep us updated, interested to hear

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 pm

newgenleftcrank wrote:
11kalnmitc wrote:
and crankmaniac I think the same thing, you get a loop down lower but then im not sure how it just seemingly breaks, i'm pretty sure its when i pull real hard to get out a snag.

It doesn't matter which fluoro you use. It will eventually break if your line has looped. What happens is when there is a loop within your spool, once you make a cast, and if enough line leaves the spool to where the loop is now "standing up", then that loop of line is going to slap the frame of the reel. Notorious reels that I own that do that is the Pixilla and Cardiff 51DC. Check the cross bar(s) under the thumb bar. There isn't much clearance from that to the bezel of the spool. I've broken EVERY fluoro (Tatsu, Sniper, Abrazx, Invizx, Toray Super Hard) that I've used with those two reels. If you hear a ever so slightly slapping/buzzing sound on the cast, then more than likely the loop of line is slapping the frame's crossbar. Similar results when your line starts to overrun on a cast before the brakes can catch up and control it.

Now, if you 'kink' the line, then that 'kink' is now a weak link. Eventually it will break.
Good insight.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 pm

I use 10/2 power pro on my pixy with presso spool and 15/4 power pro on my red pixy. I rarely get a dig in problem. I always use a leader, mostly copoly because I hate fluro .

Just picked up 300 yards of 20/6 Spider wire fluro braid. Used it today for the first time but only on a spinning gear.

My intial thoughts:

*Cast as well as any other braid I've used and not one wind knot.

*Thickness per rating is comparable to other braids but Abrasion resistence is questionable ,I use a leader though.
(both PP and McCoy beat it in abrasion resistence)

*Held a leader knot well too.

*It does sink to some extent after the surface tension is broken. No wind on the river today so couldnt test if it helps in a
stiff breeze.

*had no problem feeling bites in 39 degree water

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:07 am

I've got 6# Gamma copoly on my CU50E's and some Fireline braid 15# on the Metanium Mg7's. No line dig in issues. It's for catching all those fish under 5#'s.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 am

Have had 10# PP on my bc for 10 years and just this year went to 15#PPS8S on 2 new bc's works fine for me. One other Abu round bc use 20#PP.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I have finally found the perfect finesse line for my Sol. It is Suffix 832 20 pound braid. Once I got the reel dialed in right it was like magic. I can cast very light lures with no birds nests as long as I don't cast directly into the wind. None of the problems I had with flouro.

11kalnmitc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 11kalnmitc » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:12 pm

BRbasser wrote:I have finally found the perfect finesse line for my Sol. It is Suffix 832 20 pound braid. Once I got the reel dialed in right it was like magic. I can cast very light lures with no birds nests as long as I don't cast directly into the wind. None of the problems I had with flouro.
any leader?

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:11 pm

I do not use a leader. We do not have clear water where I live.

james123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by james123 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I use 8lb seaguar. I like it.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 am

I am in love with the YoZuri hybrid line. I have never had more confidance in a nylon type line.

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:54 am

30 lb braid as backing and about 20-50 yards of 6lb mono depending on how much stretch you want. this has worked wonders for me and my finesse fishing. nothing less than 20 yards because the stretch of the mono will save you from ripping mouths with those tiny finesse hooks.

imo fluoro is very very overrated. too many negatives for a "invisible" line.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 am

BRbasser wrote:I have finally found the perfect finesse line for my Sol. It is Suffix 832 20 pound braid. Once I got the reel dialed in right it was like magic. I can cast very light lures with no birds nests as long as I don't cast directly into the wind. None of the problems I had with flouro.
I love this line on my SOL, and ALPHAS but there is break in time with the line before it is good.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:02 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:I am in love with the YoZuri hybrid line. I have never had more confidance in a nylon type line.
I am really big fan of Yo-Soft...great stuff. 8-)

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:36 pm

BRbasser wrote:I do not use a leader. We do not have clear water where I live.
I live in the same area and you are exactly right!! No clear water!!

I'm still using a leader, but may consider NOT using one!