Spooling Station

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Spooling Station

Post by bp182 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:40 am

ma_fisherman wrote:for my purposes, ill stick with my berkeley and save the big money for other tackle like rods and reels. an expensive spooling station would be nice but it's a luxury that wouldnt be at the top of my luxury list.
X2

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:06 am

I have an inexpensive spooling station but I only use it in a pinch. I don’t remember the brand, but it consists of a single rod of aluminum attached to a suction cup and bent at a right angle at the top to accept the spool. I use baitcast reels, and it’s very difficult (actually, pretty much impossible) to get the line to lie evenly on the spool using this device. So I usually take a reel needing new line to the local tackle shop. I have them spool the reel on their machine and with the line I want. They supply the line from their large spools and the cost is around $3-4, depending on the amount of line used. This works well for me, because a 300 yard spool is around $8-10, and there isn’t enough line left on a 300 yard spool for a second spooling. They guys seem happy to do it. But I live in a small town in a rural area and know all the guys at the shop. And I’ve spent a bunch of money there over the years on rods and reels. I guess maybe this makes a difference. I admit I’d feel funny doing this very often at a store in a large city.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:38 am

ztcsmd wrote:Anyone have input to a quality line spooling station other than the cheap Berkley.
Not exactly sure which Berkley product you're referring to, but when I hear spooling "station", I think of this product:

http://tackletour.com/reviewberkleycyclone.html

I think Berkley's licensing of the product has expired but you can still find this unit for sale by the original manufacturer, Triangle Sports. It is the least expensive, powered option of which I'm aware that can do both spinning and baitcasting reels similar to the professional machines. And the professional machines are upwards of $1000.

There's nothing in the $400 - $500 range.

We use the SC125 by Triangle Sports at TT HQ

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:50 pm

This one isn't cheap, but it has some nice features. You can spool or despool and add 3kg of resistance for a good tight spool of braid.

http://www.eastackle.com/p-1354-daiichi ... inder.aspx