Fishing around rocks and boulders line breaks

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Fishing around rocks and boulders line breaks

Post by BassMan33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm

My fav bass spot is loaded with rocks and boulders I use very large shinners and almost every time I get a big bass like 4 pounds plus it breaks off sometimes instant on the hook set with band new line I use the palomar knot and reverse clinch knot. This is bobber fishing.
I have tried 6# and 8# stren on my first trip 12# stren and 20# fireline second trip then 30# Power pro second year then 50# power pro 80# sufix 832 braid and finnaly 100# cajun red braid sometimes the line gets frayed and I cut the line back but most of the time its just a clean break it's my fourth year at this spot and would like to start landing some of these bigger fish so any input would be appreciated thanks.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fishing around rocks and boulders line breaks

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Try Flouro leader or even titanium leader used for pike/musky.

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:19 pm

pike will cut right through braid like nothing. seaguar makes a fluoro leader material & use atleast 20# or there is the cortland toothy critter tie-able stainless steel leader material also...

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 pm

I have tried a few steel and 1 titanium but after breaking them off too I hate to leave the bass with that in there mouth. I'm thinking like 20# fluro with a 50# fluro leader I just can't get over how 100# braid brand new snaps so easy I have felt the rocks and they feel smoth and slimy but as soon as the line touches them with tension it breaks instant.

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Also the bass come in too this spot in schools so when they hit the shinners the bobbers look like missiles and they go strait down in the rocks so you would need a very long leader like 10-20 feet the bass hit it 6-10 feet water and it drops to 30 fast. The steel leaders I used were about a foot and were useless. I get the shinner from a local creek and the big ones like 6-8 inches are ones the big bass hit and I have lost all but 1 4 pounder when I use reg size shinners I land lots of 1-3 pound bass with little prob.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm

BassMan33 wrote:I have tried a few steel and 1 titanium but after breaking them off too I hate to leave the bass with that in there mouth. I'm thinking like 20# fluro with a 50# fluro leader I just can't get over how 100# braid brand new snaps so easy I have felt the rocks and they feel smoth and slimy but as soon as the line touches them with tension it breaks instant.
you have to look at the diameter at braid. it is VERY thin for the tensile breaking strength (pulling on the line) but is VERY prone to getting cut by rocks. in other words, 50# braid is waaaaaaaaay thinner than 20# fluoro ....... it's the diameter and abrasion resistance of a line that you need in the rocks.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Braid and rocks do not mix well. Up here in Wisconsin I throw braid all the time because there's so much weeds, but when you get around rocks/ riprap you need to tie on a flouro leader. So give that a shot and see how it goes

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Sounds like you are casting from shore, fish are hitting on the shallow edge of a rocky dropoff, and the fish are then diving and cutting the line on the rocks. I'm assuming that fishing the spot from deep water in a boat is not an option.

If the fish are cutting off new 12 lb. Stren (Original Stren?) on rocks, then those are some very sharp or rough rocks. That's tough line. (Just curious--how sure are you that these fish you lost weren't pike?)

If you want to enjoy the thrill of holding those larger fish (and not be breaking them off with hooks in them), you will need to trade off some things, like the enjoyment of a light-tackle fight. Seems to me you need a 20-lb. test (or heavier) abrasion-resistant nylon mono line (should work better with a float than fluorocarbon), a baitcasting reel with at least a 6.3:1 gear ratio, and a rod at least 7 feet long that has stout backbone to within a foot and a half or so of the tip. You will probably have to cast your minnows with a sidearm sling and gradual thumb release of the spool with a rod that stiff, but minnows the size you are talking about, with a bobber, should still cast fine.

When you hook a fish, you'll need to have the rod high and crank like the dickens. Try to water-ski the sucker. It won't be pretty, but if you want to keep them out of the rocks, you have to take control. If you think you can't ski big bass, watch some swimbait videos on YouTube.

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Yea there are no boats allowed at the lake also there are no pike but there are some large pickeral. The hard part of this spot is you can stand there all day holding the rod and the big bait will never go down put the rod down sure enoght there it goes also these are big bait so if you set the hook too soon most lickley your gonna just rip it out happens there too. I fish my baitcasters with lures and get plenty of 1-3 pounders but no really big ones that I know are there. Its been really fustrating I have spent over $100 on line just for this 1 spot. I Ordered seaguar abrazx fluorocarbon 20# I'll see how that goes this spring.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:43 pm

The 20 lb. abrazx should be tougher.

Have you read any of the articles In-Fisherman has run about multi-hook "quick-strike rigs" that allow minnow fishermen to set the hook much sooner, before the fish swallow the minnow (and leader)? They can be made on wire leaders. 28-lb. SevenStrand is no thicker than some of the braid you have had strikes on, so it shouldn't keep you from getting bit--though it might keep you from getting bit off.

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Bronzeye wrote:The 20 lb. abrazx should be tougher.

Have you read any of the articles In-Fisherman has run about multi-hook "quick-strike rigs" that allow minnow fishermen to set the hook much sooner, before the fish swallow the minnow (and leader)? They can be made on wire leaders. 28-lb. SevenStrand is no thicker than some of the braid you have had strikes on, so it shouldn't keep you from getting bit--though it might keep you from getting bit off.
wow I have used quick strike rigs ice fishing before and it never crossed my mind great idea!

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 pm

How long is the leader you're using? I rough country like that I'll go to a full rod length. That way there's a better chance of keeping the braid clear of the rocks. Are you fishing with lures or bait? With lures the fish usually get hookedin the jaw and that means less chance of a bit-off. Are your knots holding up Ok?
JD

BassMan33
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassMan33 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:17 am

The leaders were about 6 inches to 1 foot all the problems are with large bait smaller bait and lures I have no trouble but have not got any of the bigger fish. I use the reverse clinch and palomar knot there seems to be no trouble there.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 pm

BassMan33 wrote:The leaders were about 6 inches to 1 foot all the problems are with large bait smaller bait and lures I have no trouble but have not got any of the bigger fish. I use the reverse clinch and palomar knot there seems to be no trouble there.
Mate, I would definately go longer leaders in that sort of structure. Floro carbon or mono is a lot more abrasion resistant than braid. Try a rod length and see how you go, you will also get a far better shock absorbtion with a longer leader. I use an improved Albright, Slim Beauty, or back to back Uni depending on line diameter, check the knot every couple of casts and have not dramas. We cast lures hard into rocky country and barnacle encrusted snags all the time. I've had a leader come back with a bit actually shaved off it. In that case the braid would have been cut for sure.
JD

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:26 am

I use 15 lb PowerPro with 6-10 foot fluro leader all day long around large rocks for river smallmouth and never have an issue. Admittedly I'm not catching 4 lb fish but I do land the occasional 5-8 lb catfish without a problem. I would check your knot tying.
Edit: never heard of a "reverse clinch palomar" knot. What are you using to attach line to leader? That could be point of failure.