When Braid Has Clear Advantage Over Fluorocarbon ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

When Braid Has Clear Advantage Over Fluorocarbon ?

Post by ChrisD46 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 am

When do you use braid over fluorocarbon line ? ... I am stuck on only two :
1) Top water Frog fished over vegitation .
2) Heavy Flipping or Punching in vegetation .

Any more where you feel Braid has a clear cut advantage over Fluorocarbon line ?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: When Braid Has Clear Advantage Over Fluorocarbon ?

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am

topwater
ripping rattle traps

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 am

For other fish esp SW? PE is the go.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Anytime I have a fluoro leader tied on to the braid! I also think braid with a fluoro leader has a clear advantage when long line trolling on top with a hard bait, as I can easily tell what my bait is doing at all times through transmission. If I pick up any sort of junk on my trebles, I instantly know. I will say that I still prefer a line with some stretch to it for most of my cranking needs.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 am

I think braid has the advantage 100% of the time. I won't use lines that stretch. And, I never use a leader except steel leaders for pike and musky.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:38 am

The biggest advantage to braid is the near-zero stretch (3%). Mono and fluoro can stretch 16% - 33% . It's helpful if you need to pull a big fish quickly away from structure, like a dock, or for ripping through heavy cover like weeds.

Some extreme low-stretch monos can rip through cover somewhat, like Stren magnathin, Brute strength, and Spiderwire Ultimate mono, but not as well as braid.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:13 am

I'm on the same page as you. I like braid for frogs and punching mats. I do a lot of finesse fishing so fluoro is on most of my rigs. Your favorite line type probably depends on where you fish and how you like to fish. Some don't like stretch. I prefer a bit of stretch as it helps me land more fish.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Comes down to the conditions.

When it's windy, fluorocarbon is the best. Fluoro transmits the bites through slack line the best. Braid bows out in the wind moreso than any type of line, which makes it difficulty to detect strikes, control the lure, and set the hook.

When it's dead calm and water isn't super clear, braid is perhaps the best choice. In these conditions, you can lay your braid perfectly straight on the surface of the water and know the instant a fish bites your lure by watching your line. When a fish bites your lure, your braid will wake on the surface of the water.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Good comments - some I had not thought of !

T-Rig101
Angler
Angler

Post by T-Rig101 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Anytime I have a fluoro leader tied on to the braid! I also think braid with a fluoro leader has a clear advantage when long line trolling on top with a hard bait, as I can easily tell what my bait is doing at all times through transmission. If I pick up any sort of junk on my trebles, I instantly know. I will say that I still prefer a line with some stretch to it for most of my cranking needs.
X2 - although I am trying several floro lines again this year, none have yet to match the sensitivity of braid. Although many fish braid with no leader, I still prefer a floro leader. I read a study where bass could discriminate between 8 lb mono of different colors, sorta convinced me that a floro leader was a wise choice.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am

how about skipping? does braid skip bait better than flouro?

hobobob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by hobobob » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 am

I tend to go with straight braid or fluoro these days. weed edge and beyond I use straight fluoro. Inside weedbed or mat, straight fluoro. You'll be amazon how much junk that last 2-3 foot of fluoro leader can pickup compare to straight braid. Abrasion resistant wise, braid has nothing over fluoro. Sharp rock cut through braid like hot knife through butter.

As regard to sensitivity, fluoro feel differently than braid, it's not as sharp or harsh as braid, but you'll pickup much much more not quite right feel bites with fluoro, especially on windy day, fishing semi slack line, or simply a falling lure like a jig or spoon.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:49 am

In a prior thread there was a discussion about long distance casting. I thought it would be interesting to add that to this thread as well. Fluoro can have unwanted stretch at longer casted distances rivaling mono with lighter rated line, especially with heavier lure weights (i.e 3/4 oz. on 8-10# Fluoro) or when using baits with a larger profile like many crank baits that offer a lot of resistance in the water. When I know I'm going to have to reach out on a cast with these kind of baits I will always use a fused braid like Fireline Crystal in the same rated strengths that I would've used in fluoro. Setting a hook at 60+ yards can be a big challenge on the wrong line; with the right line it can be a cake walk.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 am

ChrisD46 wrote:When do you use braid over fluorocarbon line ? ... I am stuck on only two :
1) Top water Frog fished over vegitation .
2) Heavy Flipping or Punching in vegetation .

Any more where you feel Braid has a clear cut advantage over Fluorocarbon line ?
Spinning reels
Knot strength
Both areas I feel braid has the advantage.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 am

T-Rig101 wrote: X2 - although I am trying several floro lines again this year, none have yet to match the sensitivity of braid. Although many fish braid with no leader, I still prefer a floro leader. I read a study where bass could discriminate between 8 lb mono of different colors, sorta convinced me that a floro leader was a wise choice.
If they can tell mono of different colors apart, how come they can't tell a hunk of wood with treble hooks hanging from it from real food?