Polamar knot with a drop shot ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Polamar knot with a drop shot ?

Post by joeim8 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:00 am

Hello,

I noticed that when you pull the line tight or place the hook to were it sits horizontally that the knot will actually sit in the eyelet of the hook when using a polamar knot with a dropshot rig.

I personally just tie the knot then run the line back through the eyelet and start fishing it so the hook really didn't sit horizontal unless I gave the bait a twitch or applied pressure and actually over time a few casts or whatever the knot would naturally slip into the eyelet naturally but the I would correct it and place it back in the standard place.

Well the other day I heard a few people bring up the topic and a few people said that they place the line in the eyelet at all times for a more horizontal presentation and knot protection which I never really thought of and that they would correct the knot just like me but in the opposite manor.

So I guess my question is .....which if any is the correct or preferred way for the best performance?
Or which way do you do it and I guess it really wouldn't have to be just with a polamar knot either as I know people may use a few different knots for dropshot rigs.

Thanks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Polamar knot with a drop shot ?

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 am

I run the tag end back down through the eye, and pull it so the knot is in the eye, and the hook stands out.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:25 am

mark poulson wrote:I run the tag end back down through the eye, and pull it so the knot is in the eye, and the hook stands out.
+1 this is how i do it too.

Ceasar
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ceasar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:43 am

I know it's not the question, but it is a very simple and useful knot.http://youtu.be/Sl8B9v1YIZs

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I run the tag end back down through the eye, and pull it so the knot is in the eye, and the hook stands out.
Me too. I feed the long tag through the eye from the point side of the hook.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:47 am

Ceasar wrote:I know it's not the question, but it is a very simple and useful knot.http://youtu.be/Sl8B9v1YIZs
I've used that knot forever for salt water, but never tried it for drop shotting for bass. Hmm......

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:07 am

vinnieb729 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
Me too. I feed the long tag through the eye from the point side of the hook.
Same here.