Opinions on Seaguar AbrasX

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Opinions on Seaguar AbrasX

Post by Mcyl »

I bought 3000yds of 8lb from a tacklewarehouse sale recently, so far my observations is that its stiffer than Vanish but for the same poundage seem to get less sudden breakoffs.

In stiffness and manageability its akin to Sunline Sniper IMO.

Wondering what other's think about it.
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Opinions on Seaguar AbrasX

Post by beezy »

Mcyl wrote:I bought 3000yds of 8lb from a tacklewarehouse sale recently, so far my observations is that its stiffer than Vanish but for the same poundage seem to get less sudden breakoffs.

In stiffness and manageability its akin to Sunline Sniper IMO.

Wondering what other's think about it.
Abrazx is a nice line. I'm using the 10lb test right now on my daiwa steez reel for smaller jigs and worms. It's not as stiff as Berkeley 100% flourocarbon or as supple as invizx or sunline sniper, but it's very good. I haven't had much issue with line memory as KVD Line Conditioner takes care of that. I have yet to break off on a cast or have a knot issue. My favorite flourocarbon so far is the tatsu line but it's very very expensive.
MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

I always have spools of 6-20lb test Abrazx on me. I use them only as leader material. The first thing I've noticed about the line is that it's much thinner in diameter than most brands. I treat the 6lb as if I'm fishing 4lb line, the 10lb as 8lb and so on. I don't think it has that great of impact resistance. I've broken the 20lb on hook sets on a few occasions. 12lb test Ande mono holds up better when it comes to abrasion and impact resistance. Spooled up with 20lb Shakespeare OmniFlex braid joined with an alberto knot. MEtanium MG7 mounted on Dobyns DX744.

On a side note, omniflex braid is pretty good line and an even better value at less than $8/110yards. This line is super limp, soft, and has no coating that rubs off. I've been fishing it since February and I'm very impressed with how it handles and casts. I would compare the diameter of the 20lb to others 30lb. I use 10lb(has a diameter close to others 20lb) on spinning and join it to 8-15lb Abrazx depending on cover an technique.
Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback »

I also picked up 3000 yd spools of Abrazx in 8 and 10 Lb. when TW had them on sale. Great deal at $89 - 99. It might not be the best floro out there, but it's good enough. A little too stiff IMO for spinning gear, but works well with the BC.
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl »

With 8lb used 35-50m for BFS gear, lost a few spools early on but now I cast carefully with full brakes and casting weight for the first 10 casts. I've had no problems since.

I've tried it on a patriarch 9530 spinner and found not problems...its the first time I've used mono on spinners thus far.
I can't be certain but it feels to have quite good knot strength compared to vanish. in terms of abrasion resistance it falls short only to dragon call and shooter perhaps. I've had no problems with break offs as yet.