Can some bass evolve to being completely uncatchable?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Can some bass evolve to being completely uncatchable?

Post by joeyblackwood » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:51 am

Went fishin today using live crawdads, used all sunline super fc, every bass I encountered approached the crawdad, then haulted, and followed the 10 lb fc line to the surface and then swam away. I just sat there on shock. After three hours of this I gave up. but I have started to notice more and more bass noticing my fc line. What do u do when dealing with bass this smart?

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Can some bass evolve to being completely uncatchable?

Post by takrat 67 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 pm

I can't speak for your Largemouth Bass but I know that most predatory fish like a moving target. Not only that, but it's possible that it just wasn't hungry. If your FC line was a bit heavy it may have been a factor, did you try going lighter?

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:06 pm

When they get that good of a look at a bait and don't take it, use something faster so they don't have the time to examine it so closely. Burn a spinnerbait over their heads...something they have to look up at against the sky and react to it.

If they eat, we can catch 'em...or spend thousands trying! \:D/

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:48 pm

I've had days where it certainly appeared they had evolved. :lol:

Usually it's a matter of changing presentations to something that stimulates a reaction rather than presenting a meal. Even then, I have found occasions where nothing l I throw or present seems to faze them. They appear curious and nothing more.

If humans haven't evolved enough to not repeat their stupid mistakes of the past, it's unlikely bass will (although, I wouldn't bet the farm against the bass figuring it out before we do). :lol:

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 am

USA-RET wrote:I've had days where it certainly appeared they had evolved. :lol:

Usually it's a matter of changing presentations to something that stimulates a reaction rather than presenting a meal. Even then, I have found occasions where nothing l I throw or present seems to faze them. They appear curious and nothing more.

If humans haven't evolved enough to not repeat their stupid mistakes of the past, it's unlikely bass will (although, I wouldn't bet the farm against the bass figuring it out before we do). :lol:
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:34 am

=))))

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 am

That's brilliant! Great post, good job

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:23 am

mikeysam wrote: So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
How are things over in West Egg? :lol:

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 am

Seph wrote:
mikeysam wrote: So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
How are things over in West Egg? :lol:
Not as good as East Egg. :(

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 pm

I have never caught a bass that was uncatchable

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:56 pm

joeyblackwood wrote:Went fishin today using live crawdads, used all sunline super fc, every bass I encountered approached the crawdad, then haulted, and followed the 10 lb fc line to the surface and then swam away. I just sat there on shock. After three hours of this I gave up. but I have started to notice more and more bass noticing my fc line. What do u do when dealing with bass this smart?
Following lines....wow. Like the hurt locker.

KWH
Angler
Angler

Post by KWH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm

I think this problem started in Ohio not sure how they spread word to the West Coast.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:54 am

goldrod wrote:I have never caught a bass that was uncatchable
:lol: :lol:

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Seriously though, its gotten so bad at some local spots, guys have taken to bowfishing for bass.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:47 pm

First, bass do not evolve quickly, it takes many generations. However, there are cases where a species has become very difficult to fool with artificials and can only be caught with live bait. The next progression is a need for smaller hooks and lighter line. This especially applies to the larger specimens.

I know one spring fed private lake where 3 pound shellcrackers will make grown men cry. The solution? Fresh caught grass shrimp, a size 12 short shank hook and 2 pound test mono, not fluoro. Even with all that, loads of rejections. Sometimes it's fun to feed them grass shrimp while watching them refuse the same bait on a hook.