Braid size with a leader

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
KWH
Angler
Angler

Braid size with a leader

Post by KWH » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 am

I am going to braid for my mainline with a fluoro leader and had used 20lb with 6lb or 8lb leader in the past. I was wondering if 10lb braid with the same size leader as before would work or could there be slippage issues, this is for a spinning rod.

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid size with a leader

Post by Thor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

I have been fishing 6 pound braid with 8-12 pound fluoro leaders with no problems. Knot slippage is more about the knot and who is doing the tying.

For instance, guy fishes with me and wanted to know what knot to use to make the braid to leader connection, told him, he ties it, loses a tarpon due to knot, reties and loses another. After 6 fish, he tells me my knots suck. I tell him that he tied them, so he challenges me to prove it. I tie the knot and he catches fish all afternoon. Moral, lots of knots, some better than others but it still comes down to you.
Last edited by Thor on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid size with a leader

Post by cornmuse » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:18 pm

KWH wrote:I am going to braid for my mainline with a fluoro leader and had used 20lb with 6lb or 8lb leader in the past. I was wondering if 10lb braid with the same size leader as before would work or could there be slippage issues, this is for a spinning rod.
10lb braid (Kanzen or Suffix 832) is my staple on my spinning outfit and I always use a leader. Typically I'll use an 8lb fluorocarbon (Tatsu) but may go as high as 12 or as low as 6 depending on conditions. I use an Alberto knot and I don't have any problems at all. When I do hang up the leader often breaks well below the knot.

Joe C.