Best or your favorite line for jerk/rip baits?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best or your favorite line for jerk/rip baits?

Post by chrisjr1981 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 am

I've been fishing rip baits a lot the last couple weeks. My line snapped on a 2 or 3 lb fish yesterday and lost a 12 dollar bait that has caught more than a couple dozen fish since thanksgiving. Just wondering what you guys like, brand and pound test so I know what to look for. thanks

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best or your favorite line for jerk/rip baits?

Post by cjtoad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:48 am

16 lbs Sniper for me

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:17 am

That's a good question. I'm not a big jerkbaiter, but have been using them a lot the past month.
It's the one bait I'm not sure about when it comes to line.
I've been using12lb suffix siege, it's a mono that's kind of stiff with not much stretch. I'm going to switch to 10lb. Haven't been brave enough to fish $30 visions on 6-8lb, which is what I've heard is the best size to get the most action out of it.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:34 am

cjtoad wrote:16 lbs Sniper for me
holy moley, 16lb flouro! Doesn't that completely kill the action?
I remember in one of the tackle tour reviews(one of the visions I think), they show video of jerkbait underwater with diff pound tests. Even the 10lb test killed a bunch of the action from the 6lb test(or was it 8lb?).

Either way, why so heavy? Are you ripping thru grass?

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:15 am

spookybaits wrote:
cjtoad wrote:16 lbs Sniper for me
holy moley, 16lb flouro! Doesn't that completely kill the action?
I remember in one of the tackle tour reviews(one of the visions I think), they show video of jerkbait underwater with diff pound tests. Even the 10lb test killed a bunch of the action from the 6lb test(or was it 8lb?).

Either way, why so heavy? Are you ripping thru grass?
I'm a river rat so I'm always around heavy cover and I'm always trying to keep my baits high in the water column. It's really hard to find a suspending jerkbaits that suspends in 2-3 feet of water, but a 110 squarebill will on 16 lbs test.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 am

I've used 10lb Sniper for a couple seasons with success. I currently have 11lb Defier on both of my jerkbait rods and have been impressed so far. I have been fishing mostly fluoro for the past 7 seasons and forgot how well nylon line casts. I'm hoping it holds up well around rocks. I won't know until next spring though. Sniper has worked well and I recommend you try it. I like 8,10, and 12 lb for jerkbaits.
Last edited by njbasscat on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:32 am

I prefer copolymere line for jerkbait, right now i use p-line pf in 10lb, like it a lot for this technique, just the right diameter to fish cold water smallmouth on jerkbait.I have certainly caught way over 100 smallmouth on this line fishing jerkbait this fall =D> and no break off, not too stretchy.Great line for the price. :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:31 pm

13lb - 15lb Defier is my favorite and stays supple in cold water. Thin, casts very well, strong and has very long usable life.

10lb YZH is a good all around preformer that can be had cheap and in bulk spools.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Read where G-Man and Ike just recently switched back to mono from fluorocarbon saying suspend jerk baits do better on mono because they suspend horizontally instead of nose down on fluoro ...They get more bites . Sufix Elite 10 lb. should be on your short list of readily available mono lines to try.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:05 am

The type of line can really effect the bait. I did just fine fishing mono in the past decades before fluoro became popular. Fluoro is good if you really want a bait to stay neutral or sink with a really slow retrieve (winter time). Heavier mono helps keep a shallow bait running up over the grass (summer). I am currently fishing Defier Armilo to see if there is a big difference in action of the bait. It is a low stretch nylon.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 am

spookybaits wrote: I remember in one of the tackle tour reviews(one of the visions I think), they show video of jerkbait underwater with diff pound tests. Even the 10lb test killed a bunch of the action from the 6lb test(or was it 8lb?).
Guess I missed that. Anyone have a link to that review or to the video?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 am

13 lb Defier has become my fav

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:36 am

Bronzeye wrote:
spookybaits wrote: I remember in one of the tackle tour reviews(one of the visions I think), they show video of jerkbait underwater with diff pound tests. Even the 10lb test killed a bunch of the action from the 6lb test(or was it 8lb?).
i remember that video too, but can't seem to find it. i think it was 6lb vs 10lb sunline...

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 am

vncnt wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
i remember that video too, but can't seem to find it. i think it was 6lb vs 10lb sunline...
It was in the article about the Vision 100 variants.

#10 Super Natural has been good to me.

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 am

Tokugawa wrote:
vncnt wrote:
Bronzeye wrote:
It was in the article about the Vision 100 variants.

#10 Super Natural has been good to me.
Is it not there anymore? I don't see it. Perhaps I'm going blind.