Help: Issues with leader knot

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help: Issues with leader knot

Post by aprestonSEK » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:58 am

I have 10lb. Sunline SX1 and I have been tying the albright knot to an 8lb Seaguar Red Label leader. I am using 24 wraps when tying the knot and when i tighten the knot down my Fluoro slips.

Any advice? Is there a better knot for small diameter lines?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help: Issues with leader knot

Post by Strewth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:04 am

Are you using a double, such as a Bimini? And are you tying the standard or improved Albright? The latter employs wraps up and then wraps back before going through the loop. You need to pull this knot really tight before trimming. Lastly, some fluorocarbon leaders are very "hard" which makes it difficult for the braid to grip. I just use a supple mono and find that it has no effect on catch rates....

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:53 am

I have tried using anywhere from 15-24 wraps with the albright and had problems with them slipping. Sometimes it seems like with all those wraps it tends to bunch up which causes it to slip.Went back to 9 wraps and tightening with finger savers and have not had any slip. Braid usually breaks on straight pull before the knot. You can test different numbers of wraps by using 1 piece of flouro and tie to each end with different wraps and pull against each other until one slips or breaks.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:03 am

Strewth wrote:Are you using a double, such as a Bimini? And are you tying the standard or improved Albright? The latter employs wraps up and then wraps back before going through the loop.
I am tying the standard. Do you prefer the improved?

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:12 pm

I actually prefer a bimini and use the Ted Donelan leader knot (http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knots ... ction.html) for maximum strength, but have used both forms of the Albright extensively. The improved version gives you more grip because of the extra wraps, but is harder to snug down. Both forms depend on the line being pulled really tight before trimming (and I mean really tight), otherwise they will slip. You also need to check that the Albright does not unravel after lots of casting. Some anglers use a small amount of superglue on the tag end of the braid to prevent this.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:49 am

X2 on the finger savers. If I don't use them, I have problems. If I do, I haven't had any problems, including 10# braid to 20# floro.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:43 am

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am

Check out the alberto knot. All I use

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:26 pm

There will always be "better" knots. The key is who is tying them. Already suggested, double the braid.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 am

Wet the knot - soaking wet. Pull it up slowly. If it doesn't look perfect, cut it and start over.

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

jamesdta wrote:Check out the alberto knot. All I use
AGREED!^^ I found the alberto knot about 3 years ago while fishing drop shots in deep southern California reservoirs, and it's been flawless for me so far. If it's tied right, it's tiny and goes through guides perfectly, and the strength is incredible.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 am

Alberto knot (US) = Improved Albright knot (AUS). The original Albright only does the wraps in one direction, not up and back like the improved Albright.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 pm

I use the Albright, and only wrap one way, not double.
I only use max. 10 wraps. The key, for me, is to wet the line, and pull the line and tag end equally. I do this by holding the fluoro in one hand, and the main line of the braid in the other, and the braid tag end in my teeth. Slow steady pressure, so the wraps stack behind each other.
Test it with a full pull before you cast. Better to break in the boat than at the boat.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Strewth wrote:I actually prefer a bimini and use the Ted Donelan leader knot (http://www.fishnet.com.au/library/knots ... ction.html) for maximum strength, but have used both forms of the Albright extensively. The improved version gives you more grip because of the extra wraps, but is harder to snug down. Both forms depend on the line being pulled really tight before trimming (and I mean really tight), otherwise they will slip. You also need to check that the Albright does not unravel after lots of casting. Some anglers use a small amount of superglue on the tag end of the braid to prevent this.
Wow! That's a new one for me. I primarily use FGs but will certainly try this one!

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:58 pm

The Ted Donelan knot tests at about 80-90% of the actual (not nominal) line load capacity and is super small. Very fast to tie once you have the Bimini done and can be used for casting over the full spectrum of line diameters.