Light braid for casting?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Light braid for casting?

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:37 am

Anybody use lighter braid for casting reels? I'm thinking about trying 15-20 pound this year, and not just for finesse applications. I like PP super 8 slick and Sunline SX1. A little worried about it digging in, though.

What backing do folks use? I've been using cheap mono, but I wonder what would be lighter? Anybody ever try using strips of foam or anything weird on spools before winding on backing or main line?
Last edited by MediumHeavy on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Light braid for casting?

Post by Farnorth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:44 am

I have used 20lb power pro SS on a few reels and haven't had any issues. Just make sure that it is packed on tight from the bottom up and no backing necessary (unless you are trying to save money). I had tried 15lb regular power pro first and had nothing but issues. I do prefer thicker braid 40lb or higher when possible but you have to balance it out with the capacity of your reel and the baits you are casting.
Last edited by Farnorth on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 am

Maybe Teflon tape

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 am

I have heard of people using some type of cork tape as backing, but I don't know where to get it and I don't know if it would actually be lighter.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am

I currently have 20# PPS8S (green) on my Curado 51E and it fishes beautifully on this reel IMHO. I was fishing a pond with it this afternoon, t-rigs, finesse jigs, spinnerbaits, etc etc all fish just fine with zero issues.

I didn't use any type of backing just a piece of arbor tape that Shimano used to provide in the regular PP box. I've been spooling braid this way a long time and I've never had a single slippage issue. Like others have suggested it's important to spool the braid on your reel fairly tight in order to help prevent dig in.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 am

I use cheap mono on reels with deeper spools. Shallow spools like the Megabass IS or a Conquest S some Teflon tape works great and then straight braid on the tape.

Most all my reels are spooled with 20 lb braid w/ Flouro leaders. 65 lb on a flipping/punching stick and 40lb on a plastics rod I use in heavy cover. For finesse, I use 8lb and 10 lb braid.

Suffix and Tuf-line are my braids of choice.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:32 am

I used 16# SX1 all year on a Core 50 and Curado 50. It worked great. I don't recall having any dig in issues. I used mono backing to save having to fill the spools with braid. Someone on here recommended using medical tape to prevent slipping. I have done that as well on some other reels.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 am

I ordered up some 16lb Sunline SX1 today, so I'll be glad to give it a shot. I typically use 30lb on baitcasters for just about everything.

I'm wondering what would be the lightest backing, to keep the spool weight down.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:52 am

IMO, lighter pound test braids dig in so easily that I find it isn't worth using on casting gear. 30# test is what I use for everything, and have found no reason to go any stronger than that. I have minor dig in issues still.

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Lighter braids won't dig in if you don't set your drag too tight. If you snag, don't pull the line straight from the spool. Lighter lines cast much farther and let your lures run deeper.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 pm

I use 10lb braid on my finesse reels, just tape it to the spool before you spool it up.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:47 pm

8-10-15-20# braid on my reels

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:IMO, lighter pound test braids dig in so easily that I find it isn't worth using on casting gear. 30# test is what I use for everything, and have found no reason to go any stronger than that. I have minor dig in issues still.
That sums up my experience also. Still some minor dig-ins that usually only shorten the cast.

I've preferred using 30# Suffix Performance and 832 but am currently giving PP Super 8 Slick a try on one reel. It's a bit stiff but so far so good with no dig-ins or other problems. It seems like it's a strong line, and I think the aqua green looks pretty good on a gold Calcutta. :)

I've never tried anything other than mono for backing. If I fill the entire spool with braid, I use a short piece of masking tape over the knot and beginning of the line, and never have had an issue with slippage.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 am

I've used Stren Braid for years. Funny, but it cast better in lighter strengths on my older reels that aren't so "super". Maybe the faster spool speeds with the newer reels encourage backlashes.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:49 pm

This is pretty much standard procedures for my standard sized (100-200size) spool setup.
I found it economical and easy to maintain after painful initial setup.
1. Empty spool.
2. Tape line you intend to cast onto spool (FC, mono, PE)
3. Wind on the length you wish (line counter helps but the are several other methods)
4. Join casting line to backing PE. I use FG knots for FC/mono to PE or loop to loop cats paw for PE to PE
For backing I like to use 50lb PE. Maybe it's due to more gaps but a full spool of 50lb is much lighter than say a full spool of 10lb
5. Spool till it fills the join via Albright 2m of FC for grip. I prefer light FC as it doesn't absorb water as much as mono or expand.
6. Spool off the three part line, reverse and spool on properly.

Result: you have a spool with just enough casting line ( dependant on tech used) backed by a low density yet strong backing that functions as an emergency big fish length.
When replacing casting line, it's quicker and more economical. Overall spool weight is reduced.

The only variation I make is when I need extra capacity such as known running species with underpowered gear.

The TTF members that have seen pictures of my room can attest that I do not have OCD,
I believe in making the effort once in order to have an efficient system.

It's seems expensive to buy 50lb PE for backing but keep in mind it's volume you're looking for not smoothness, abrasion resistance so budget braids can be idea.

Lastly for this system as in precaution with thin walked shallow spools I despool the entire length for storage post fish....50 - 75yds don't take long to respool.