Fluro Help !

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
RiverRatKD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Fluro Help !

Post by RiverRatKD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Ok guys ...looking for some help here. I've had some real issues the last few days with line breaking. Today I had some Seagar Red Label break in the guides. It basically shattered and went of like a .22 .

Brand new line .. and I lost a big bite!

What should I be using and where do you guys buy it?

I've tried most lines ... thinking about going back to Gamma ?

I use Fluro specifically for pitching and flipping.

Should I back my drag off? Am I setting the hook too hard? Rods too stiff?

Today I was using an Expride rod on an Metanium XG with Red Label in 17 so the rod was stiff

At this point money isn't an issue although if there is a better way to buy line I'd like to hear about it

I'm sure there have been many posts like this ... just looking for the latest opinions

I need some advice PLEASE

Thanks

KD

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fluro Help !

Post by falcon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:57 pm

If money is not a option look at tatsu from seagaur toray or shooter from sunline. I had a bad experience with red label and won't try it again. Many people have raved about it though. I had a spool of 6 and I couldn't attach my dropshot weight without breaking the line

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:38 pm

That sort of break is usually down to having a backlash earlier in the day what caused a weak spot in the line.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:That sort of break is usually down to having a backlash earlier in the day what caused a weak spot in the line.
I agree. This happened to me the first season I used fluoro and almost made me give up on it completely. It was breaking down deeper into the spool and would show itself on the cast. If your breaking off the last 10 feet, you probably have abrasion issues. If it's breaking down deeper than that, you most likely had a backlash which caused a weak spot. The strongest line against abrasion that I have used is Toray Superhard Upgrade and it's very good for pitching. For casting and easier handling, Sunline Sniper and Seagar Tatsu are very good. All can be found at Tackle Warehouse.

RiverRatKD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by RiverRatKD » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:38 pm

I appreciate the tips

This line was spooled that day and I didn't have a backlash

I'm sure of that

I have been doing some research on here

I think the Shooter could be what I need or the Toray

I see the reviews on Gamma are all good on the Tacklewarehouse site as well

I'm also thinking of going to a heavier line although I'm curious if this will affect the action of my baits

In reading some of the other threads I don't think other breaks I've had are a result of Tungsten issues as I use Eco Pro and believe this as polished and not causing issues

I also am careful to tie my Palomar knots and take my time doing so

Just trying to get some confidence in my line as I go into tournament season !

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 pm

Fluoro is one of the few things, for fishing, we get what we pay for. I quickly gave up on cheap fluoro. Try Tatsu or Shooter. Sniper is the cheapest I use because I like the bulk spools. Backlashes and kinks are trouble with fluoro so start with higher brakes than normal and back them off a little at a time.

Check the line guide on the reel to make sure nothing could be rubbing/fraying the line...debris or damage...same for your rod guides.

Fluoro stretches like mono...some more, some less...so your drag settings and rod should be fine. If you were to lock down the drag and set the hook as hard as you can, the knot should break before the line unless it was damaged or a bad production run. Try a better fluoro an your trouble should subside.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:30 am

Maybe this will help. http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 10#p351482
This all applies to any fluoro.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 am

Bass Pro fluoro works. It is much more forgiving of loops or kinks, if you don't continually cast with them in the spool.
I switched from Sniper to BPS because of the weak spots I got with Sniper with even a small kink. BPS fluoro is much more forgiving.
Having said that, I just got a spool of their new fluoro, and have yet to use it, so I can't comment on the new stuff yet.

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 pm

vinnieb729 wrote:Check the line guide on the reel to make sure nothing could be rubbing/fraying the line...debris or damage...same for your rod guides.
Agreed. Your line shouldn't be snapping like that. I would look there first.

fletch616
Angler
Angler

Post by fletch616 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Sunline FC Sniper..this line has actually converted me over to all baitcasters..use to have just one and three spinning reels..after getting this line on my one old Quantum Energy PT..I ended up replacing all my spinning gear with baitcasting..truly tried for years with all other kinds of line for the baitcaster..I 3rd the you get what you pay for on line quality..this line is very easy and slick to throw!!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_ ... e-SFJ.html