Best Copolymer

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
marvinlee718
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Copolymer

Post by marvinlee718 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:41 am

What is the best Copolymer out there? Does it have good abrasion resistance, low memory, etc? I need to find a good line to use overall.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best Copolymer

Post by John Puckett » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 am

This is an easy one in my opinion, P-Line CXX. It does have some memory but I've never found it to be a problem, for me it goes away after a few casts. Great abrasion resistance, strength both straight and knot, fairly low stretch, and the green color really blends with my local water color well.

Some guys complain that the memory issue is just to much for them to overcome and they stop using it. It's just never been that bad to me for some reason, could be I just got used to how it handles and I just don't notice it anymore, I'm not sure. All I can really tell you is I use this line for the bottom line fact that no matter how it handles it doesn't break, period. I haven't even fished another mono/copoly in some years now because I've found the line that works for me.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:26 am

Yo-zuri Hybrid no doubt. Great strength for DIA.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Defier is the only answer.

Meleagris1
Angler
Angler

Post by Meleagris1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 am

Lots of good ones - I like Silver Thread Excalibur

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 am

tywithay wrote:Defier is the only answer.
Yep, either Defier is the best around, just be willing to pay a premium.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 am

angry john wrote:Yo-zuri Hybrid no doubt. Great strength for DIA.
X2

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:10 am

I've used CX, CXX, Fluoroclear, and Yo-Zuri Hybrid.

Fluoroclear is great for cranking. It has stretch to allow for the fish to bite. Stretches a bit too much for plastics fishing for me though. I use it on my shallow cranking rod.

I use the CX on a ML spinning outfit. It has great strength and low stretch. It has some memory, but not as much as Fluorocarbon or CXX.

CXX is a great plastics or jig line. Low stretch, super strong, abrasion resistant. It was my go to line before I went pure fluoro. I used it in 12lb-15lb for jigs, t-rigs, carolina rigs, spinnerbaits, etc. It is a tad stiff and does have memory issues, best used on a bait caster only.

Hybrid didnt impress me. It had low stretch and good strength, but not as good as the CXX. It also was just as stiff as the CXX in my experience. After trying out the P-Lines after the hybrid I never went back, it gets used as backing now. I tried it in 10, 12, and 15lb.

15lb Hybrid is just slightly larger than 15lb CXX. 12lb Hybrid is smaller than 12lb CXX.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:45 am

Another vote for CXX. I use it both straight and as leader material for all of my big bait fishing, which is all I do, and have found no reason to look elsewhere.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 am

A couple years ago, I used 8 or 10lb CXX for everything. If there was one line for all presentations, I was certain CXX was it. However, once I tried using lighter braid, even for moving treble hooks, I decided that I would only use braid. Recently, I've tried using some fluoro and it was awful. So, I'm still sold on braid. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use CXX again if I needed to. The 8lb was great for cranking and the 10 lb I used for everything else. It is definitely the strongest non-braid I've ever used. Great stuff.

Never tried the Defier, though. Sunline makes good line, even their more affordable fluoro is pretty good. And currently, my line for basically everything is 20lb SX1. I'd try Defier if it weren't so pricey :)

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 am

McCoy is my all around favorite

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 am

falcon wrote:McCoy is my all around favorite
+1

robster80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robster80 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:40 am

mccoys. love this stuff. doubt ill ever change

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:19 pm

I really like McCoy's as well...it casts great, is priced reasonably and is strong. The OG SilverThread was another line that I really liked, but it is just hard to locate any longer.

I still find that CXX is more abrasion resistant, lasts longer for wear, and has higher breaking strength (granted, larger diameter per test rating). This said, McCoy's is a line most folks don't know about and it is worth a try, and it is readily available.

If Defier Armilo gives the original Defier more abrasion resistance, then it will be hard to beat in my book...cost aside. ;)

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:27 am

vinnieb729 wrote:
tywithay wrote:Defier is the only answer.
Yep, either Defier is the best around, just be willing to pay a premium.
Defier here too, the new Armilo especially. Not as stretchy as regular Defier and surprisingly sensitive. No problems feeling the bottom, twigs, weeds and can still be used for topwaters, etc. Awesome line and very versatile.