Question about leader knots

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Question about leader knots

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:24 am

On the subject of knots, I was wondering something. I haven't seen the sebile or GT knots until today. Without an actual knot in the leader material with the sebile, will it slip at all if not tied perfectly or is there a little wiggle room for a less than perfect knot tie-er like myself? The video I watched said to leave at 1/8" tag end on the leader, will that eventually start to break the knot down as it comes back in through the guides on the retrieve? I usually have a fairly long leader which would mean it would be coming back through most of the guides with each retrieve. Would a little super glue on the tag ends allow me to trim them shorter? With respect to both knots, would I be able to forgo the bimini twist for the loop and simply double the braid over to create the loop then trim the tag end of the braid? Would a dab of super glue facilitate this? All of my fishing is freshwater for either bass or trout, with 15-20 pound braid and a 15 pound flourocarbon leader. Thanks in advance!

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Question about leader knots

Post by Thor » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

No knot has any "wiggle room", if you want it to hold.

For your freshwater fishing, the Sebile is overkill. If you insist, tie it well and it does a great job. A touch of superglue can't hurt but it will not make up for a sloppy knot.

I also use very long leaders, knots going through guides is more about using the proper line on a rod with guides to match. Obviously, 50 pound braid with an 80 pound fluoro leader is going to have problems with 3.5 micro guides.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Fair enough about the wiggle room, point taken. I'll have to go back and look at my guides I suppose. The question was as much theoretical as it was practical. What's your take on forgoing the Bimini twist for simply doubling the line over and trimming the tag end?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:05 pm

adam lancia wrote:Fair enough about the wiggle room, point taken. I'll have to go back and look at my guides I suppose. The question was as much theoretical as it was practical. What's your take on forgoing the Bimini twist for simply doubling the line over and trimming the tag end?
It sounds like you are basically describing the Albright knot. I've had very good luck with that knot. If you use fine clippers you can trim the flouro tag very close and the knot is tiny as a result.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah, the Albright is what I have been using lately. I do find it a little tricky to get right but a little more practice should take care of that.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:43 pm

You can add a three or four keeper wrap at the end of the Albright. This will reverse the direction that the tag end lays and increase the strength of the knot. This will make the out going line smoother through the guides.

Frank

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 pm

In your situation, doubling the braid with something other than a bimini would be fine. A surgeon's loop would se quick and simple. You could increase your turns but try to keep the braid from twisting.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Frank: what's a keeper wrap? I'll look it up. Would I do these before I thread the braid tag end back through the leader? I should have mentioned that the Palomar was new and ground breaking to me as of this past year (I'm pretty new still...)

Thor: gotcha, that sounds like a good (easier) alternative.

Thanks guys!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:18 pm

FrankW wrote:You can add a three or four keeper wrap at the end of the Albright. This will reverse the direction that the tag end lays and increase the strength of the knot. This will make the out going line smoother through the guides.

Frank
So after the knot is completed you trim down the flouro/mono leaving just a bit sticking out, then use the excess braid for your keeper wraps correct. I'm assuming a keeper wrap is just a single loop around the flouro main and tag end that locks under itself each time. Sounds simple enough. Can't believe I never thought to try, or should I say tie it.

DaveJ

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:26 am

Here is how you tie a keeper on the Albright. You just make a loop and back wind 3 or 4 times and pull the tag tight back into the Albright. It is done with the braid.

I miss spoke, it changes the direction for the incoming line. The real purpose is to reduce the chance of the knot slipping with braid.

Frank

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 am

Thanks for the diagram Frank.

Dave: I like your idea of a simple wrap over the tag of the leader, I wonder if there's a way to make that happen... Time to research knots :mrgreen:

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:15 am

The Alberto Knot is a excellent, and all I use anymore for joining flouro to braid. I do six wraps instead of seven. It's super fast and you can trim the entire tag end for thicker lines (15-20 flouro to 20# braid, in my case). Very compact knot through the guides. Popular here on the forums.

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?f ... Knot_ID=29

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 am

Looks like one to try, thanks WoodT.

derek
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by derek » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 am

I switched to the Alberto Knot this year and have liked it a lot so far.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:28 am

WoodT wrote:The Alberto Knot is a excellent, and all I use anymore for joining flouro to braid. I do six wraps instead of seven. It's super fast and you can trim the entire tag end for thicker lines (15-20 flouro to 20# braid, in my case). Very compact knot through the guides. Popular here on the forums.

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?f ... Knot_ID=29
Isn't that just a shorter, fatter version of the Albright? Does look a bit easier to tie though. The only issue I ever have with the Albright is if I leave the flouro tag end too long and it catches on a guide during a cast. That bends it out and then it will catch on pretty much very cast. I will try adding a simple loc with the braid tag end starting on the braid end of the knot, then cross over to the flouro tag and lock it again to completely hide the flouro tag under the braid lock. Seems like it should work if it final lock stays tight. I don't mess with super glue so it will have to hold on its own.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.