Question about leader knots

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Question about leader knots

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:30 am

WoodT wrote: It's super fast and you can trim the entire tag end for thicker lines ...

X2 ! My go to knot ... !

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:55 am

Since we are making suggestions, for freshwater, a back to back uniknot is simple to tie and fairly small. The braid still needs to be doubled.

Run the line through the guides of your rod, connect the fluoro leader is something solid and pull up. Most people cannot break anything when using the rod, in this manner, except maybe, the rod.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
WoodT wrote:The Alberto Knot is a excellent, and all I use anymore for joining flouro to braid. I do six wraps instead of seven. It's super fast and you can trim the entire tag end for thicker lines (15-20 flouro to 20# braid, in my case). Very compact knot through the guides. Popular here on the forums.

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?f ... Knot_ID=29
Isn't that just a shorter, fatter version of the Albright? Does look a bit easier to tie though. The only issue I ever have with the Albright is if I leave the flouro tag end too long and it catches on a guide during a cast. That bends it out and then it will catch on pretty much very cast. I will try adding a simple loc with the braid tag end starting on the braid end of the knot, then cross over to the flouro tag and lock it again to completely hide the flouro tag under the braid lock. Seems like it should work if it final lock stays tight. I don't mess with super glue so it will have to hold on its own.

DaveJ
Much easier/faster to tie (for me, at least). And you can trim the tag end very close...like I was saying, if if I do know I've tied it right (basically, it clinches down tight and the foremost loop is "squeezing" hard)...I have no hesitation about clipping the tag end completely for heavier lines.

It's the slimmest knot I know, and passes through K and recoil guides very well.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 pm

WoodT wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
WoodT wrote:The Alberto Knot is a excellent, and all I use anymore for joining flouro to braid. I do six wraps instead of seven. It's super fast and you can trim the entire tag end for thicker lines (15-20 flouro to 20# braid, in my case). Very compact knot through the guides. Popular here on the forums.

http://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?f ... Knot_ID=29
Isn't that just a shorter, fatter version of the Albright? Does look a bit easier to tie though. The only issue I ever have with the Albright is if I leave the flouro tag end too long and it catches on a guide during a cast. That bends it out and then it will catch on pretty much very cast. I will try adding a simple loc with the braid tag end starting on the braid end of the knot, then cross over to the flouro tag and lock it again to completely hide the flouro tag under the braid lock. Seems like it should work if it final lock stays tight. I don't mess with super glue so it will have to hold on its own.

DaveJ
Much easier/faster to tie (for me, at least). And you can trim the tag end very close...like I was saying, if if I do know I've tied it right (basically, it clinches down tight and the foremost loop is "squeezing" hard)...I have no hesitation about clipping the tag end completely for heavier lines.

It's the slimmest knot I know, and passes through K and recoil guides very well.
Have you tried the Albright? It is slimmer yet and should be equally as strong. I would imagine the flouro tag line can be cut just as short I just don't have stediest hands and prefer to error on the side of caution. It is a little tougher to tie though for sure.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 pm

I like the idea of doubling the braid over, I have had a couple of Albright knots come undone while testing them before casting. I realize this is no fault of the knot, just my own, but if I can tie the Alberto more consistently, I think the tiny extra bit of bulk that doubling the braid over causes will be worth it. I'll probably feel better about trimming the leader tag off flush too Thanks guys!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:21 am

adam lancia wrote:I like the idea of doubling the braid over, I have had a couple of Albright knots come undone while testing them before casting. I realize this is no fault of the knot, just my own, but if I can tie the Alberto more consistently, I think the tiny extra bit of bulk that doubling the braid over causes will be worth it. I'll probably feel better about trimming the leader tag off flush too Thanks guys!
Yep, that is why we should all test our knots :)

I'm going to try the Alberto out next time I get to go fishing. So long as it goes through my guides easy it could be the way to go.

DaveJ

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 am

I tied a couple of Albertos today. What I noticed was that the braid would knot really tight near where the leader was doubled over but it would take some coaxing to get the 3 turns opposite that end to pull tight. I was able to get them tight with a ton of pressure and then re-tightening the lines after I had trimmed both tag ends. Is that how this knot is supposed to tighten up? Hopefully I'll get a chance to see how these fish tomorrow.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:28 pm

adam lancia wrote:I tied a couple of Albertos today. What I noticed was that the braid would knot really tight near where the leader was doubled over but it would take some coaxing to get the 3 turns opposite that end to pull tight. I was able to get them tight with a ton of pressure and then re-tightening the lines after I had trimmed both tag ends. Is that how this knot is supposed to tighten up? Hopefully I'll get a chance to see how these fish tomorrow.
When I tie them properly, the pointy end (closest to the flour leader) will appear slightly more snug than the other loops. It should cinch together pretty easily. Make sure everything's wet, etc.

These are a very handy thing to have in your tackle box, regardless of what knots you may choose. Especially if you use braid.

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Finger- ... 0rings.htm

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Have you tried the Albright? It is slimmer yet and should be equally as strong. I would imagine the flouro tag line can be cut just as short I just don't have stediest hands and prefer to error on the side of caution. It is a little tougher to tie though for sure.

DaveJ
Yeah, I think I tried to tie them early on in my knot odyssey and I wasn't doing it right and lost some fish. Also felt like it wasn't short enough in terms of length. I went back to uni to uni...that's a good knot, just thick through guides. Found out about the Alberto and went 100% to that.

Not a big deal here, but I had always understood the Alberto to be one notch below the Bimini knot in terms of strength and stronger than an Albright, but not sure now. Ultimately my issue with the Albright is my attention span. :lol:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 pm

WoodT wrote:
adam lancia wrote:I tied a couple of Albertos today. What I noticed was that the braid would knot really tight near where the leader was doubled over but it would take some coaxing to get the 3 turns opposite that end to pull tight. I was able to get them tight with a ton of pressure and then re-tightening the lines after I had trimmed both tag ends. Is that how this knot is supposed to tighten up? Hopefully I'll get a chance to see how these fish tomorrow.
When I tie them properly, the pointy end (closest to the flour leader) will appear slightly more snug than the other loops. It should cinch together pretty easily. Make sure everything's wet, etc.

These are a very handy thing to have in your tackle box, regardless of what knots you may choose. Especially if you use braid.

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Finger- ... 0rings.htm
Mine have snugged up the opposite way, tighter where the leader doubles over and looser towards the tag end of the leader. I have seen those finger savers and just might order a couple. I have a friend who might like these too, and if I'm ordering from Hi's, I might as well make it worth my while... :lol:

Thanks again for all the help!

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Now that I think about it more, I am guessing you are wrapping the loops closest to the main line tighter than the initial ones. Wrap the inital ones close and somewhat tight to the flouro. The last two or so wraps will basically make the braid portion look like a "Y" (ie, the last few loops are more loose and symmetrical with the initial pass-through of the mainline through the loop). Allows it to clinch in that way I am describing.

The way I am suggesting will look different than the example provided in that link I posted. I think that is a function of them using a thick cord for the demonstration...I definitely don't ever "push up" the knot with my fingers when I use a braid to flouro connection, as they suggest. It should clinch naturally (particularly if it is wet).

Good luck.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 pm

OK, I'll give that a try today. I can probably find a few minutes to mess around with it. It's only a work day after all :big grin:

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:17 am

So I just watched a youtube video on how to tie this knot and I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was pulling both the tag ends and main lines tight, rather than just the main lines. I'll tie a few that way to see if they're any better. I figure they will be.

doublethree
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by doublethree » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 pm

This looks good. Thanks for that!
FrankW wrote:Here is how you tie a keeper on the Albright. You just make a loop and back wind 3 or 4 times and pull the tag tight back into the Albright. It is done with the braid.

I miss spoke, it changes the direction for the incoming line. The real purpose is to reduce the chance of the knot slipping with braid.

Frank

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 am

Hmm. Maybe will try the Albright again, I guess I forgot that it results in the tag end facing behind. I trim my Alberto tag end pretty close, but it still sometimes bumps a bit through recoil guides and K-guides. Still just used to the reliability of that Alberto and it's strength, but hey, it's just LMB. :lol:

Good feedback, thanks!