Question about leader knots

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question about leader knots

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey Adam all three knots, Albright, Alberto, and GT are great and are all plenty strong when tied correctly. I've found that once you accept that strength won't be an issue, you'll find "secondary priorities" with your knots. Do want to tie it fast, do you want it to be easy to tie in low light or standing in the surf w/waves blasting up to your chin, do you want it to have a small diameter when finished and so on. I've experimented with all three knots exclusively for big bait fishing. Braid no smaller than 65# and copoly leader no smaller than 15#. For me, I want the thinnest knot and that's the FG. It's more involved than the Alberto or Albright but I prefer how it finishes over the other two. In my experience the Albright is the easiest to tie, is the shortest but also the fattest. This may contradict what others have experienced but maybe the heavier lines I use has something to do w/that. I really liked the Alberto over the Albright and I used that for quite a while before moving to the FG. The FG blows the other two out of the water in overall diameter when finished and I notice a big difference on the cast how much smoother it goes through the guides.

Whatever knot you settle on, I highly recommend using some UV Knot sense on the knot. Not for strength but for the nice smooth waxy coating it puts on the knot. Sure it may add a little to the diameter but it more than makes up for it w/the slickness.

Also here is a tutorial I did on the Alberto a while back that may help you http://youtu.be/cBbk-2XQ1z4
I plan on doing one of the FG sometime too. Good luck and keep us posted.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Thank you for the in-depth reply Toad! Is this the FG knot you mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj9I4j0Jj9c ...? I understand what you mean about secondary priorities, hopefully I won't have to tie one of these while fishing but if I should have to, I'll practice myself into peak knot tying shape :lol: My primary secondary priority is having the knot go through the guides as cleanly as possible. And by the looks of that knot, I'm going to be practicing it this weekend.

Question about the UV Knot Sense: would it be a good idea to use this during the cinching down process on a palomar or other similar knots? I'm using 15# fluorocarbon for my leader and I've had problems with the line breaking at the knot when I'm giving it a "will this hold up" tug... I goober the knot up really well too.

Thanks again!

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:39 pm

That's a pretty good tutorial on the FG, he's the first person I've seen suggest not alternating the half hitches at the end. I'm gonna give that a go myself just to see what the knot looks like when finished. I call the FG I tie a "minimalist FG" and that's because the number of wraps in the finger lock weave and the number if half hitches I use are less than most use. Most tutorials I've seen are done by obvious salt water guys and they end up with these knots that are 2"-3" long so they employ many many wraps and half hitches. I don't need all of that for the type if fishing I do. I use a 10 wrap weave and only 3 half hitches on all the lines with another 3 braid on braid (this makes a nicer transition on the backside of the knot). I say tie it the way that makes you most comfortable. When I first started using the FG I tied it in a more traditional sense and gradually started to scale it down. I haven't been able to test it on anything larger than 6.5 lbs. but really, when you do the final cinch down you are putting a lot more pressure on it than will happen under normal fishing, IMO. But practice, practice, practice. Sacrifice some line for the greater good. Also if while practicing you notice that during certain phases of the knot tying that the braid is starting to cut your fingers, put a thin strip of duct tape or even a band aid on that spot.

As far as the Knot Sense, I'm not sure if people use it in the way you are asking. I think that there are certain steps you need to be mindful of when tying a Palomar particularly w/fluoro. I haven't used fluoro in a long time but as I remember it used to be very succeptible to taking friction damage. I don't wanna spam the forum w/my YT vids but I also have a Palomar tutorial on my channel if you wanna peep it.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 am

Also, I just realized that I used "GT" and "FG". As far as I know they are used interchangeably but. Sorry if this has caused confusion or if I am wrong :)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:42 am

No worries, I was able to figure out that they're used interchangeably. No harm done \:D/

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am

the albright really isn't that great of a knot...even tied right...the alberto is the strongest ...simple to tie single line.. on the water knot for braid to fluoro.

Anyone tying an albright is selling themselves short ....The alberto is far superior, faster,and much more consistent.
Cinch it down with chapstick and pull till translucent......put it on a scale....it'll beat the albright every single time.
It is a chinese finger trap knot so the harder you pull the more it grips.

When tied right it is the same thickness as the albright. And is shorter since you only need 7 to 9 wraps versus a minium of 20

There is a reason why the other name for alberto is the improved albright.

Just like the aussie plait is better than the bimini twist....and the improved bristol is better than the yukatan....alot of commonly tied knots have alternatives that are waaaaay better but many are happy sticking with what they know...

Heck.....tons of people still tie cinch or improved cinch knots.....when polomars, uni's and ian millers are far superior and just as simple to tie.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

the albright really isn't that great of a knot...even tied right...the alberto is the strongest ...simple to tie single line.. on the water knot for braid to fluoro.

Anyone tying an albright is selling themselves short ....The alberto is far superior, faster,and much more consistent.
Cinch it down with chapstick and pull till translucent......put it on a scale....it'll beat the albright every single time.
It is a chinese finger trap knot so the harder you pull the more it grips.

When tied right it is the same thickness as the albright. And is shorter since you only need 7 to 9 wraps versus a minium of 20

There is a reason why the other name for alberto is the improved albright.

Just like the aussie plait is better than the bimini twist....and the improved bristol is better than the yukatan....alot of commonly tied knots have alternatives that are waaaaay better but many are happy sticking with what they know...

Heck.....tons of people still tie cinch or improved cinch knots.....when polomars, uni's and ian millers are far superior and just as simple to tie.

THe FG and sebile knots are great....but are a pita with light line...stiff leaders make it much easier. But it's no way a knot i want to think about dealing with on a bank, beach, bassboat.....offshore for tuna...i'll sit down and make the effort.(not so much anymore since i started using hollow core spectra 6 years ago)..but for freshwater....i don't see the need..
albertos with 2lb braid and 4 6 and 8lb fluro or mono work fine.

no real distance is gained with the FG or sebile over the alberto.....even using 30-60lb braid and 40 to 80lb leader.

Just my .02...based on years of testing and experimenting.

Sharkie
Angler
Angler

Post by Sharkie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:07 am

i usually don't tie leader knots as it affects sensitivity and might cause your swivel to snap.

walli
Angler
Angler

Post by walli » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:22 pm

Kinda surprised theres been no reference to the Yucatan knot. I do a lot of trolling in northern lakes and get hung up on rocks once in a while. That will test any knots strength. The Yucatan has never slipped/broken. Easy to tie and strong. With braid 12 turns is recommended not the 6 turn as per link below. Ive never bothered with a bimini for the doubled line, tying with a loose end doubled main line instead and,it hasnt affected knot performance.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... s/?image=1

\

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 am

I use 30lb 832 tied to 16lb Toray or Shooter with an Albright knot and have never had a problem. One of the easiest knots to tie. Not sure why some think you need 20 or more wraps for a good Albright. I do 9 wraps and cinch tight with finger savers and have never broken at the knot, even when i try to break it on a straight pull. The one time I tried near 20 wraps it slipped on a big striper. This may be why some are having poor results with the Albright, to many wraps. That said, this thread really makes me want to try an Alberto soon.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:04 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:I use 30lb 832 tied to 16lb Toray or Shooter with an Albright knot and have never had a problem. One of the easiest knots to tie. Not sure why some think you need 20 or more wraps for a good Albright. I do 9 wraps and cinch tight with finger savers and have never broken at the knot, even when i try to break it on a straight pull. The one time I tried near 20 wraps it slipped on a big striper. This may be why some are having poor results with the Albright, to many wraps. That said, this thread really makes me want to try an Alberto soon.
I do 7 to 9 wraps on my Albrights (15-20lb Flouro with 30-50lb PP Slick8). Tried the Alberto the other day. Fishes about the same as the Albright. Both are strong enough that I can't pull them out without cutting my hands first. My drag is softer than that. I have to get hung on a log or boulder to break them and them and then the flouro to hook/lure knot will almost always pull out first.

DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:06 am

walli wrote:Kinda surprised theres been no reference to the Yucatan knot. I do a lot of trolling in northern lakes and get hung up on rocks once in a while. That will test any knots strength. The Yucatan has never slipped/broken. Easy to tie and strong. With braid 12 turns is recommended not the 6 turn as per link below. Ive never bothered with a bimini for the doubled line, tying with a loose end doubled main line instead and,it hasnt affected knot performance.

\
That is a great knot for trolling like you said, but it is a little stout for casting through guides.

DaveJ

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

walli wrote:Kinda surprised theres been no reference to the Yucatan knot. I do a lot of trolling in northern lakes and get hung up on rocks once in a while. That will test any knots strength. The Yucatan has never slipped/broken. Easy to tie and strong. With braid 12 turns is recommended not the 6 turn as per link below. Ive never bothered with a bimini for the doubled line, tying with a loose end doubled main line instead and,it hasnt affected knot performance.

\
never thought to use it without a doubled length of line????? THat said....you should try the improved bristol..as it is similar to a YUK......only when i tested it on a luggage scale....it out performed the YUK every time...when i don't splice hollow core for tuna...i use the imp bristol..It has proven to be the strongest way that i have found and tested when joining a doubled iength of line to a leader.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 pm

For me the alberto just works. It's easy to tie, fast and I've yet to have one fail. When I need to break off a snag it always breaks somewhere along the leader. I just use long leaders so I don't have to re-tie. I tried the double albright that Aaron Martens ties, but I just don't get it. He wraps it like 20+ times.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:24 am

adam lancia wrote:Looks like one to try, thanks WoodT.
Why don't you try a uni knot 4 wraps on each side strong and small