Braid with a flouro leader?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
zoott
Angler
Angler

Braid with a flouro leader?

Post by zoott » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:56 am

Why do guys use braid and then make a flouro leader? When would it be good to do this?

Cagey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid with a flouro leader?

Post by Cagey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 am

Some people think visible braided line scares the fish away!
Last edited by Cagey on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:13 am

Abrasion resistance, less visible underwater, sound dampening, shock resistance, money saving (retying baits doesn't cut into main line supply on reel), and more that I'm forgetting.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:39 pm

For me it's mostly about visibility when fishing in clear water.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 am

I use a fluro leader any time I'm in clearer water.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:36 am

I'll throw in another variable that no one has mentioned...if you get snagged, fishing in deep water with cover, or around boat docks, etc, breaking off with heavy, straight braid can be next to impossible, or sometimes almost dangerous to you or your gear....yes, many times you can straighten the hook and retie, but sometimes that doesn't work.

JontaK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JontaK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:58 am

zoott wrote:Why do guys use braid and then make a flouro leader? When would it be good to do this?
I use braid on all my reels and sometimes combine it with a relatively heavy fluoro leader. This setup is very usable when targeting perch and zander as these two species can be very hesitant to strike when facing a metal leader or braid tied directly to the bait.

Every lake in my proximity that holds perch or zander also holds large quantities of northern pike, 20lb fish are pretty common wherever I go. I use 55lb Samurai Braid on a couple of reels, this heavy braid usually snaps right off when it comes in contact with the sharp teeth of the northern pike.
The fluoro isn't indestructable when exposed to pike teeth but a heavy leader of this material will usually stand 4-5 northerns without breaking.

A heavy mono might work the same way, especially when it comes to abrasion resistance, but as I believe the flouro helps me trick that hesitant fish I might as well go with it.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:Abrasion resistance, less visible underwater, sound dampening, shock resistance, money saving (retying baits doesn't cut into main line supply on reel), and more that I'm forgetting.
This post pretty much nails it along w/the one that mentions the benefit when it comes to breaking off a snag.

So when would be a good time to do it? I guess when you feel like any of the above reasons seem logical or if something is affecting your confidence.
Last edited by Toadslayer72 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Leaders tangle in trebles less than limp braid when walking top water baits and jerkbaits. Fewer tip wraps when casting.

oe

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 am

I just fished this weekend with a buddy in water that had about 8 feet of water clarity. I was using braid with a 2 foot FC leader, he was throwing straight FC. Even whenever we were both using the same lures, he was still seeming to catch more fish than me.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:50 am

fishballer06 wrote:I just fished this weekend with a buddy in water that had about 8 feet of water clarity. I was using braid with a 2 foot FC leader, he was throwing straight FC. Even whenever we were both using the same lures, he was still seeming to catch more fish than me.
I normally use a 6 or 7 foot leader. Maybe the braid and knot were still too close to the bait.

DaveJ

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
fishballer06 wrote:I just fished this weekend with a buddy in water that had about 8 feet of water clarity. I was using braid with a 2 foot FC leader, he was throwing straight FC. Even whenever we were both using the same lures, he was still seeming to catch more fish than me.
I normally use a 6 or 7 foot leader. Maybe the braid and knot were still too close to the bait.

DaveJ
My inital thoughts as well ... 6' is my min. length for reaction or bottom contact lures.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:52 pm

I do braid to FC when I'm working around docks and rocks. Braid gets roughed up a lot easier that the tough FC leader. The "invisibility adds to my "confidence" as well. Make sure you use the actual leader material and not just FC line. The leader is made from a tougher, more quality FC than FC line is. The line has to take casting into account so, the line losses some of the qualities FC leader has to be more limp for casting.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 am

Line manageability, sensitivity, some shock absorbency over braid... Plus invisibility in clear water.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:Plus invisibility in clear water.

I would buy "less visible" in clear water...

oe