Braid + FC Leader Spinning Setup for Dropshot ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid + FC Leader Spinning Setup for Dropshot ?

Post by ChrisD46 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

For those of you who use Braid + FC Leader Spinning setup for drop shot - please explain your set up ?
Never having done this setup with spinning before , my best educated guess would be : 10lb. Power Pro braid -> 6lb. FC leader (7ft.) tied to braid with crazy Alberto knot -> FC leader to top of VMC drop shot hook -> FC leader (6" - 18") tied to bottom of VMC drop shot hook -> drop shot weight ... Your thoughts and experiences ?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid + FC Leader Spinning Setup for Dropshot ?

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Was using a few other DS setups before but i finally settled on a Daiwa Steez AGS with Vanquish 3000. 15lb Daiwa Samurai main with a long 25-30 ft of 7lb FC Sniper.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 am

Line size, etc. comes down to personal preference and the enivronment you are fishing. As a side note, I prefer a swivel with a 6-7ft leader. Braid has a tendency to not show line twist but the swivel helps minimize it even more. My set up is mostly for vertical fishing, as the swivel is not ideal for casting...being aware and not ramming the swivel into the tip guide is key..

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:41 am

I use a similar set-up: 10lb PowerPro connected to 8lb fluoro with an improved albright knot. I only use about 3-4 feet of fluoro for the leader though. I tie the hooks directly onto the fluoro since I haven't tried the VMC dropshot hooks. It doesn't seem to affect my catch rate (vs. using straight PowerPro) but I like the fluoro leader when I toss topwater lures as the braid gets tangled up frequently when using walk-the-dog type pencil baits (I only use one rod when I head out and will frequently change presentations/lures to zone-in on what the fish are feeling that day). You should be fine as long as you tie your connection knot carefully.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:49 pm

I use my Kaleido Designo Mach M-1 with a Twinpower C2000S as my main dropshot setup. Line of choice is YGK Upgrade X8 in 14lb and 6-7ft of Kureha Real FX in 6lb. A really fun and enjoyable setup to fish.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 pm

If using a non - VMC dropshot hook , anyone advocate using a small (i.e. Spro) barrel swivel to prevent line twist ?

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 pm

ChrisD46 wrote:If using a non - VMC dropshot hook , anyone advocate using a small (i.e. Spro) barrel swivel to prevent line twist ?
As stated, I always use a small swivel for this reason...but I am also fishing vertically, which makes it easier.....not having to truly cast.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 am

ChrisD46 wrote:If using a non - VMC dropshot hook , anyone advocate using a small (i.e. Spro) barrel swivel to prevent line twist ?
I use the small Power Swivels about 2' up my line from my hook. I can comfortably flip cast with this. Not gonna break any distance records, but it casts decent. I run 20# Power Pro to the swivel, then go 6# or 8# Gamma Edge fluoro from the swivel to the hook/palomar know/weight assembly. On VMC hooks, I do a 6' or 7' fluorocarbon leader tied with a double-uni knot to 20# Power Pro main line. I just tie on the Spin Shot hook, and tie the weight to the leader running from the bottom swivel eye on the hook.

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:58 am

I too like to go with little heaver braid like 15 or 20 PP. I just prefer the fact that it is easier to manage and doesn't get wind knots or other issues from the lighter braids which are just too limp for me. I usually go with 15 red PP and an 8 lb FC sniper leader. I go long too like 15 ft. I remember Gary Yamamoto writing somewhere that you want enough leader so that the knot is on your reel when the fish is near the boat because that is when there is the most pressure on the knot.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:29 am

johnnybass wrote:I too like to go with little heaver braid like 15 or 20 PP. I just prefer the fact that it is easier to manage and doesn't get wind knots or other issues from the lighter braids which are just too limp for me. I usually go with 15 red PP and an 8 lb FC sniper leader. I go long too like 15 ft. I remember Gary Yamamoto writing somewhere that you want enough leader so that the knot is on your reel when the fish is near the boat because that is when there is the most pressure on the knot.
Do you notice any dropoff in fish numbers due to the colored braid?

johnnybass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johnnybass » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am

I really can't say for sure because I haven't done a side to side but I use a long enough FC leader so I don't worry about it. I just find it really hard to pick up moss green or other dark colors and so many of my drop shot strikes come from seeing the line twitch or move sideways.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:02 pm

More often than not - it appears that deeper water drop shotting lends itself to the braid + FC leader set up .
For shallow water with less line out would you be better off to stay with just straight FC 6lb line for drop shotting ?