mono?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

mono?

Post by TOPWATER » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 am

Looking for a good mono and I know allot of you will probably say sunline so, besides sunline. Clear water 8 to 10#, topwater, cranks and jerkbaits. Thanks......

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: mono?

Post by dhottle » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:49 am

Sunline Defier Armilo Nylon Line
I know but I just started using it & I like it. Better than green mean McCoy or maxima ultragreen.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 am

true mono not a copoly? Try a German Perlon based line like DAM Tectan. Copoly- try Sufix Elite.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:21 am

Heronimo wrote:true mono not a copoly? Try a German Perlon based line like DAM Tectan. Copoly- try Sufix Eliteis rea
A true mono. That's interesting, I have never heard of that German line before. I am looking to get something that Is readily available. Something I can order from ttt or tw. This way i can just put in one order for everthing i kneed and be done. Dont want to just order line alone.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 am

Suffix Siege and Elite are both good mono lines. Elite has excellent handling and a little more stretch, Siege seems to be tougher, more abrasion resistant.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:45 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Suffix Siege and Elite are both good mono lines. Elite has excellent handling and a little more stretch Siege seems to be tougher, more abrasion resistant.
I guess abrasion resistance isn't really necessary so the Elite might be worth a try. Seems like that's easy to find as well. As long as it doesn't degrade to fast.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:03 pm

Why besides Sunline? Defier is as good as it gets unless you're looking for a cheaper alternative. If so, compromise must be accepted.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Why besides Sunline? Defier is as good as it gets unless you're looking for a cheaper alternative. If so, compromise must be accepted.
Simply because tw and the ttt don't have it in 8# . They have it in 11# and up. Ttt does have super natural though. Is it possible that all other mono is junk....I am going to buy a couple of rods from Gary at ttt, so I can order there. The gear that I kneed that he doesn't carry I can get from tw.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 am

Sufix line isn't junk and it won't degrade on you. I use 8lb test on my spinning gear for jerk and finesse topwater fishing and it's a dream to handle.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:49 am

Yeah, I would also choose Sufix if not Defier. Quite reliable

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:16 am

Heronimo wrote:Sufix line isn't junk and it won't degrade on you. I use 8lb test on my spinning gear for jerk and finesse topwater fishing and it's a dream to handle.
I will probably just grab some suffix, all three of you can't be wrong. I have never used it but I am fishing the same way here so why not. Smallmouth are angry little fish, sort of the serial killers of the lake. Gotta have a good line.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:32 am

TOPWATER wrote:
Heronimo wrote:Sufix line isn't junk and it won't degrade on you. I use 8lb test on my spinning gear for jerk and finesse topwater fishing and it's a dream to handle.
I will probably just grab some suffix, all three of you can't be wrong. I have never used it but I am fishing the same way here so why not. Smallmouth are angry little fish, sort of the serial killers of the lake. Gotta have a good line.
Homicidal maniacs

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:21 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:Suffix Siege and Elite are both good mono lines. Elite has excellent handling and a little more stretch, Siege seems to be tougher, more abrasion resistant.
X2. I use Siege in 10lb on a 6'6" MF for general purpose and 4lb Elite on a 6'MLF Avid and just loaded my Fenwick ETS69MHF with 14lb. Purchase based on diameter as the Seige is about "one line size" thicker than the label, ie.. 14lb is about the same diameter as Sunline 16lb.

Joe C.

walli
Angler
Angler

Post by walli » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:51 pm

+1 on the Elite. Used it on my fly-in fishing trips and with 10lbs test I was able to land 32 lbs Northerns and 33 lbs Lakers.
Reliable line and sometimes the stretch is a good thing.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:53 am

D.A.M. Tectan is available in the US only through here - http://www.fishusa.com/product/DAM-Tect ... Line--300m

They're good people to deal with and economy shipping is free for orders $30 and up. Bought from them many times over the years without issue.

This will be my first season using Tectan, but based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews I don't anticipate any issues. I'm making the switch on my ultralight rig for starters. I wanted a small diameter line to enhance the action on my small baits. This seems to fit the bill nicely. While my only handling of it so far is the attachment to my main line (I'm using it as leader), I'm impressed by it's suppleness and how knots tie.

Be aware that this line is very thin and breaks very close to it's rating, you better be sure your drag is in good working order. I fished Sufix Siege and Elite for years, they're both excellent lines. I just wanted a thinner option and the D.A.M. was the choice I went with.