Braid or FC for Drop Shot ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid or FC for Drop Shot ?

Post by ChrisD46 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 pm

While light FC line is generally preferred for a drop shot set up - how many of you have tried and been successful with a braid + FC leader set up for drop shot ? ...If so , please explain your set up :

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid or FC for Drop Shot ?

Post by bradbellflower » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:17 pm

Vertical technique, so braid with a FC leader will give you the best sensitivity. This advantage only gets better as you go deeper.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:01 am

The only time I feel Flouro has an edge in TOTAL performance is in a vertical presentation that involves current, like Sarnia and Niagara Rivers here in Ontario.
The bow that forms as the bait lags behind from ticking bottom causes braid to lose nearly all of it's feel, while a good stiff flouro will still transmit vibes up the line.
The only drawback to using flouro all the time, as long as your rod is sensitive enough and flouro good enough, is line twist on a spinning reel. I am going to try using my Omen 610ml this year with a Chronarch MG51. If it works, and eliminates line twist, I doubt I'll go back to braid for any situation unless I need higher breaking strength in a finesse package.

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:56 am

BucketHunter wrote:The only time I feel Flouro has an edge in TOTAL performance is in a vertical presentation that involves current, like Sarnia and Niagara Rivers here in Ontario.
The bow that forms as the bait lags behind from ticking bottom causes braid to lose nearly all of it's feel, while a good stiff flouro will still transmit vibes up the line.
The only drawback to using flouro all the time, as long as your rod is sensitive enough and flouro good enough, is line twist on a spinning reel. I am going to try using my Omen 610ml this year with a Chronarch MG51. If it works, and eliminates line twist, I doubt I'll go back to braid for any situation unless I need higher breaking strength in a finesse package.
Agreed there, ironically I get a lot of hits while the rig is falling. In these instances FC is the way to go.
I use braid if I'm casting out far for obvious benefits.

As to dropshotting with a casting reel...I was reluctant to do so in the beginning but have found it very effective.
I use a Maxim 610ML on an Alphas finesse when I DS 8lb and up. I'm not entirely certain as to why but DS in casting setups I find a mod-fast rod nicer to reel set than the traditional F/XF dropshot rods.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:12 am

My application is in a lake for drop shot with more of a semi - vertical / horizontal presentation casting out far in shallower water then working the rig back to me in short hops & pauses - then repeat the process . Again , I lake fish in shallow water with very little current (only a breeze to contend with) . * In this situation would braid + FC work well OR would it be better to just stay with all FC line ?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 am

The main reason to choose braid is line twist. I've been dropshotting since the beginning out here in the West and I am just plain tired of line twist with fluoro. No, I'm not going to fish a reel two sizes too big like a lot of the tour guys are starting to do to get rid of twist with fluoro. Yes, you give up the slack line feel and braid tends to bow more in the wind, but it is so nice to not have to constantly re-spool my dropshot rods. I've been an opponent of braid and consequently I have been dragging fluoro behind the boat to get rid of line twist for nearly two decades. All of this for just a little extra feel. It is so nice not to have to re-spool every night before a tournament.
I'm currently fishing 2500 size Daiwa reels with 10lb. SX1 and about 6 feet of 5-7lb. Sniper as a leader with success. I'm still wrecking them both vertical and horizontal fishing in deep clear water.
Last edited by toddmc on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:17 am

Brent Ehrler uses braid for all his finesse setups. He's one of the best with a spinning rod out there.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:13 am

In wind or current hard flouro.

If not, braid with a flouro leader.

DaveJ

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:02 pm

I use braid with a FC leader, pretty long at least 10-15ft.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 pm

So , safe to say that no matter which FC line I select - sonner or later line twist WILL be a problem ?
I don't have a boat so dragging line behind a slow moving boat is not an option for me ...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 am

ChrisD46 wrote:So , safe to say that no matter which FC line I select - sonner or later line twist WILL be a problem ?
I don't have a boat so dragging line behind a slow moving boat is not an option for me ...
You can take off your worm and cast your weight and hook out and then retrieve it with pressure between your forefingers to remove the twist. This technique doesn't work quite as well as dragging your line behind the boat with nothing on it, but it helps and it is something that I do every hour or so that I am using a setup for dropshotting. I usually only drag the line behind the boat at the end of the day. Softer fluoro lines will twist less than the harder ones, but you will still get some line twist.

ChrisD46
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChrisD46 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm

As long as you maintain some semi - slack contact with your drop shot rig - is there any problem with feel / sensitivity using braid + a FC leader to detect the bite ?