sniper 16lb vs 20lb

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

sniper 16lb vs 20lb

Post by tnt2671 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:08 pm

i've got a new aldebaran hg on its way and am looking to spool it with some sniper , reels going on a 6'9 heavy mb rod that will be used for jigs predominantly 3/8 and 1/2 and texas rigged plastics in mixed waters from fairly heavy cover to clear structure, question for you sniper users out there 16 or 20lb. i have always used straight braid or occasionally braid with fc or mono leader. but gonna give straight flouro a shot as all the hype has me curious. i'm leaning towards 20lb because if i don't like it at least it'll be good leader material but would love some input. thanks in advance!

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: sniper 16lb vs 20lb

Post by MRQturbo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:07 pm

i'd run some braid backing...then use 20# shooter instead.....

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I use 14lb Sniper for my plastics (1/4-1/2oz) and it works very well (throw some KVD L&L on it). I haven't used either of the larger lines that you mention, but I must say that the 14lb is extremely strong stuff. One thing to keep in mind with FC, is that it is stiffer than mono or braid. The heavier the pound test, the stiffer it will be. Now Sniper is one of the softer FC's on the market, which is why it's so popular. I think you might be surprised by the strength of the 16lb, but my advice would be to buy a spool of each and test them out and see which you like better. If nothing else, that 16lb will make excellent spinnerbait and squarebill line.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:41 am

I usually have at least four of my reels spooled with Sniper in 20lb. I throw reaction baits like vibrating jigs, spinnerbaits, swimjigs, 5-6 inch swimbaits, and buzzbaits on it 90% of the time. It has just the right amount of stretch for reaction baits in my opinion. I usually step down to 16lb. to cast jigs and plastics in our clear western waters. Brent Ehler loves the 16lb. Sniper and he fishes it a lot with all kinds of baits. Both sizes handle well and are thinner diameters than a lot of manufacturers.
I would throw the 16lb. or bigger Shooter if you fish dirtier water with a lot of hard cover, or if you are flipping. The harder lines do better with harder cover.

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 am

I love the 16 lb test. I use it for jigs alot. Its still supple and easy to cast. I can get good casting distance and it is limp enough to skip really good to. I love it for skipping docks with a jig. I dont have experience with 20 lb but the 16 was just perfect for me.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 am

I'm a fan of SunLine's 20 lb FC, compared to the 16, in most cases....It is similar diameter to most 15-16lb flouro, which isn't a statement about its strength, but rather is handleability in the 20 lb label rating. In other words, I don't think it's overkill...

tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tnt2671 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:26 pm

thanks all , just went right for the shooter 20lb, figure if i'm going to try it out might as well start with the good stuff and if i don't like it i'll well i'll have the most expensive spool of leader material i've ever bought, :crying: lol

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:45 pm

beware that shooter acts nothing like sniper. While shooter is still a florocarbon, it is alot stiffer and harder to manage. Its good line but it is in my opinion hard to manage.

tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tnt2671 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:46 pm

fisherman012 wrote:beware that shooter acts nothing like sniper. While shooter is still a florocarbon, it is alot stiffer and harder to manage. Its good line but it is in my opinion hard to manage.
i have heard that, i have a pretty seasoned thumb so hopefully i can tame it. it's going on a dedicated jig rod whih i usually run braid or braid with leader on and i wanted something hard with minimal stretch, i'll share my thoughts once i give it a try and again thanks to you guys for the input it's always appreciated!

Martin Lo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Martin Lo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:53 pm

tnt2671 wrote:
fisherman012 wrote:beware that shooter acts nothing like sniper. While shooter is still a florocarbon, it is alot stiffer and harder to manage. Its good line but it is in my opinion hard to manage.
i have heard that, i have a pretty seasoned thumb so hopefully i can tame it. it's going on a dedicated jig rod whih i usually run braid or braid with leader on and i wanted something hard with minimal stretch, i'll share my thoughts once i give it a try and again thanks to you guys for the input it's always appreciated!
I had problems with that strength with the line fluffing toward the end of a cast. For months I thought it was something I could refine but changing technique but in the end a slight addition of braking with CC drag and I've never looked back.

Back 1/2 the spool with braid then connect the FC gives your more usage out of the filler and nicer light weight casting too.

tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tnt2671 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:44 am

update on the shooter 20lb, spooled up my core 101 today and went out , threw some t rigged plastics and a few 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs , boated about 12 fish on it nothing special all sub 3 lb. the line is definitely a handful if you are not careful , pitching it's no problem but it does not like harder casts at all without consistent thumbing or you get fluff which luckily comes out super easy and doesn't kink due to the line having similar characteristics to bailing wire lol, i used an improved cinch with no issues at all knots held strong with no slip all and i did winch a few out of some thick cover. it's very nice for t rigged plastics due to the sensitivity and the lack of bow in the slack line. 1/2 oz jig i prefer my fx2 over the fluoro no question, the shooter still has more stretch than i would have expected in 20lb and noticed it more when fishing the jig good or bad i don't know ? but braid with jigs feels right to me. overall i'm not disappointed but not sold on straight fluoro, for me straight braid or fluoro leader on braid is still
better for what i fish so like i said before at least i have 1/2 of a spool left of sweet leader material!!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:08 pm

tnt2671 wrote:update on the shooter 20lb, spooled up my core 101 today and went out , threw some t rigged plastics and a few 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs , boated about 12 fish on it nothing special all sub 3 lb. the line is definitely a handful if you are not careful , pitching it's no problem but it does not like harder casts at all without consistent thumbing or you get fluff which luckily comes out super easy and doesn't kink due to the line having similar characteristics to bailing wire lol, i used an improved cinch with no issues at all knots held strong with no slip all and i did winch a few out of some thick cover. it's very nice for t rigged plastics due to the sensitivity and the lack of bow in the slack line. 1/2 oz jig i prefer my fx2 over the fluoro no question, the shooter still has more stretch than i would have expected in 20lb and noticed it more when fishing the jig good or bad i don't know ? but braid with jigs feels right to me. overall i'm not disappointed but not sold on straight fluoro, for me straight braid or fluoro leader on braid is still
better for what i fish so like i said before at least i have 1/2 of a spool left of sweet leader material!!
You will definitely feel stretch in any non-braided line after fishing braid for a long period. One of the TT line shootouts did a stretch test and Shooter and the other really hard fluoros that they tested tended to stretch the least. You really need to know your reel's cast control systems well with most fluoros. Sometimes you have to accept a little less distance for control.

tnt2671
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tnt2671 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

the more i use it the more i like it , played with cast control a little more on the core ( i usually run all my reels cc on the loose side , just a hair of side play in spool and thumb as needed in all conditions) and 1-2 brakes on in all my shimanos. well i tried 2 brakes with a just a little more tension than I'm used to on the cc and i can pretty much do as i wish with the shooter now. i guess my thumb is not as good as i thought lol hurt my pride :crying:

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:12 am

I have been fishing sniper 20# on one of my rigs this spring and early summer. Never tried the 16#. Most recently throwing 3/4oz head and big paddletail swimbait.

I'm not going to write a raving review of the line because have not caught enough fish on that rig. What I will say is that the diameter of the line is the same or smaller then most of my rigs with 16# FC line. Line casts very very well. Not a single breakoff in the hook or anywhere for that matter. So I am inclined to like the line because nothing negative has happened in 8 days of fishing. I would not hesitate to use this for bigger non-finesse applications and I'd see no reason at all to drop to 16#. If I continue to like this line, I will try the 14# as might light plastics line.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:12 am

I have been fishing sniper 20# on one of my rigs this spring and early summer. Never tried the 16#. Most recently throwing 3/4oz head and big paddletail swimbait.

I'm not going to write a raving review of the line because have not caught enough fish on that rig. What I will say is that the diameter of the line is the same or smaller then most of my rigs with 16# FC line. Line casts very very well. Not a single breakoff in the hook or anywhere for that matter. So I am inclined to like the line because nothing negative has happened in 8 days of fishing. I would not hesitate to use this for bigger non-finesse applications and I'd see no reason at all to drop to 16#. If I continue to like this line, I will try the 14# as might light plastics line.