Daiwa J-Braid???

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid???

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:14 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
bronzefly wrote:It's a very good value. The "TT10" discount code gets 10% off at The Tackle Trap...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _1815_1814
for the $ hard not to pick this line over samurai ....
Don't tell that to my remaining bulk spools of Samurai :lol: You're right though, this line has potential to become VERY popular in a hurry if enough guys give it a shot... there is a lot of quality for the dollar with J-Braid.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:30 am

So far i'm still liking it over the suffix 832 and power pro slick 8 which are good lines.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:00 pm

bronzefly wrote:I'm a Samurai Braid fan, have been for years. I had to give J-Braid a try, so I just spent the weekend fishing Redfish in Louisiana with 30lb. J-Braid, and it's was impressive. Castability was very good, abrasion resistance was very good, and it's toughness was definitely there too. It's not quite a soft/smooth as Samurai, but it's not nearly as rough as power pro either. It's a very good value. The "TT10" discount code gets 10% off at The Tackle Trap...

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _1815_1814
You are exactly the type I wanted to hear an assessment from. I'm happy for the larger community that J-Braid is proving itself to be a very good line but Samurai's softness is what I like the most about it. I'm anal about braid noise (I have my reasons) and I credit Samurai's softness with how it's still the quietest.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:23 am

bronzefly wrote:It's not quite a soft/smooth as Samurai, but it's not nearly as rough as power pro either.
That's very disappointing to hear as I was really looking forward to trying J-Braid. I have become so accustomed to the smoothness of Samurai over the years that there's simply no turning back to a rougher line.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 am

I like smackdown but it's so expensive.

How does jbraid compare to that and to fx2.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Been using Jbraid 20lb and 50lb for a few weeks now with no complaints. Not as smooth as PP super slick but hopefully doesn't wear out as fast as SS. I haven't used Samurai so can't compare the smoothness to Jbraid. I've seen a few pics of Samurai bleeding and turning clear coated cork knobs green. So far my IP79 and PXR doesn't have green knobs yet. \:D/

I can't see myself going back to power pro with these lines on the market.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39 am

just as smooth as samurai,the line is not as dark green as the samurai so I don't think it will fade as fast. the way I look at it if you want samurai at a better price buy j braid.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:10 am

Finally tried some in 15lb on my Tatula. Normally I use 16lb SX1 and absolutely love that line. The J-braid feels like super 8 slick with a slightly less dental floss feel. It's not as soft as SX1 but pretty decent. Knot strength and toughness was very good. My gripe with it is that I had to readjust spool tension and braking quite a bit. I had to set the brakes from 8 to 11-12 because it just flew off the spool. Maybe that's a good thing, but I haven't had a full day of backlashing like that in a long time. I'll probably try it one more time but, but most likely sticking with SX1, even though nobody carries it locally.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:36 am

I've been using the 10lb. J-Braid on my ZondaHH with the finesse spool and really like it. Mostly throwing 5g. plastics. Real good distance, no mystery knots, very smooth and sensitive. It is very thin,easy to lose sight of. So far so good. :D

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:42 am

Have the 15lb another shot and had even worse results. Probably just doesn't fit the way I cast and such because aside from backlashing like a maniac, the line seems very nice. I just can't get nearly the distance with it because I have to put the brakes on a lot more than other lines. Maybe I should try a different thumb, too? ;)

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Just spooled some and have used it twice...Initial thoughts on 50 lb J-braid vs. 50 lb. FX2:

J-braid has a noticeably thicker diameter.
J-braid dark green is not as dark as FX2. (Will be interested to see how long it retains its color.)
J-braid does have a smoother texture vs FX2.
Can't comment on abrasion resistance yet.
Montanaro wrote:
How does jbraid compare to that and to fx2.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Bought some, out of the package and tried my line test on my fishing knot. So if I was fishing it, I'd expect the line to break at my knot at these results. The 10 and 15# listed package were very good with higher than package listed results. The 20# was fair, at just under package listed result. I tried several times but kept getting the same max result consistently at 19# 14 oz. knot break.

Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10# knot break 13#
Diawa J-Braid x8 .19 mm 15# knot break 18#
Diawa J-Braid x8 .23 mm 20# knot break 19# 14 oz.

tonychm
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by tonychm » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am

I tried 40lb j braid today. Handles great and the quietest braid I've ever used, but after about 5 casts I thought I was turning into the incredible hulk. I've never seen a braid bleed so much. My reel was green, white rod stained green, my hands were green. I had to keep a towel in my pocket to wipe down after every couple casts.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:22 am

That last post got me thinking. Does anyone ever do a pre spooling treatment to braids that bleed? Like soak the spool it comes on in water before using it? It's not an issue that concerns me with what I use but if I was having an experience like the above poster, I might consider it (provided I wanted to keep using the line). I know a lot of people might feel like they shouldn't have to do such a thing and I get that too. I'm just spit ballin' here.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:16 am

With 8lb J Braid and 6lb InvizX, I can't even hear the leader knot going through my guides. Stuff is amazing.