Daiwa J-Braid???

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid???

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:47 am

A coworker of mine just bought some 30# j braid and was complaining about the color runoff on to his new calcutta d reel. He said it was horrible the amount that it was bleeding. Im like thanks for being the guinea pig Ill stick to s8s.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 am

I'm a long time Sufix Performance user, actually have no complaints with it at all, but this stuff caught my attention. I'm going to give the 10 lb a shot. The last couple of years I've been choosing my lines based on diameter rather than lb test, as most lb test ratings have little basis in reality anyhow. Thin lines work well for me, especially for my UL and finesse casting applications. The 10 lb is advertised at .006", which is plenty fine enough for me. I'm aware of the pitfalls of fine diameter braid, I've been through the fire during my learning curve :lol: , but for me the benefits outweigh the risks and I've made the necessary adjustments. Color bleed never bothered me, I'm not really a line watcher, so that alone will be a non issue, although it will be annoying at first during the break in period.

The price is reasonable enough and the reviews are positive enough for me to go ahead and change.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:02 pm

I still think Performance Braid is a great line after its broken in. I do like Smackdown better though. Still have to order some Maxima and see what all the fuss is about. Everybody on here who's tried it likes it a lot.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:31 am

Just fished J-Braid 30 lb on spinning reel in Costa Rica for 7 days. Fishing off the rocks for jacks, macks and whatever else was biting. First few days, had some major wind knots. After that, no problems at all. No mysterious line breaks, flows through guides nicely and fought some decent size fish while rubbing off rocks, etc. No issues with the line bleeding either, which is strange based on reviews I've read. Overall, very good line. Other braids i've used are Spider and Tufline xp. This is superior to those.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Daiwa J-Braid is fantastic, Just as good as the Shinobi PE, Tournament 8-Braid and Samurai Braid. It is smooth and soft. It doesn't loose colour very quickly, it is also very abrasion resistant. I would highly recommen J-Braid, and no, I'm not affiliated with Daiwa but the people who are are damn lucky.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 am

In my experience it's pretty colorfast, way more so than 832.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Sat May 28, 2016 2:10 am

Strangely enough, I got myself a spool of #15 J-Braid in CHARTREUSE and the darn thing doesn't bleed at all! Not a trace of color on my fingers when I first put it on my reel while pinching it, still no bleeding after a couple of sessions on the water. Go figure! Got a spool in green too but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? :lol:

><(((°>

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:37 am

Finally bought some! 50 pound green.

Just as smooth and thin as smackdown at half the price! I also experienced no bleeding.

I spooled my spinning reel with sunline sx1 in chartreuse and after a few trips its white...bleed like crazy. Going to strip it and use as backing and by yellow jbraid

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:40 am

Montanaro wrote:Finally bought some! 50 pound green.

Just as smooth and thin as smackdown at half the price! I also experienced no bleeding.

I spooled my spinning reel with sunline sx1 in chartreuse and after a few trips its white...bleed like crazy. Going to strip it and use as backing and by yellow jbraid

no way....smackdown is much thinner....

15lb
Smakdown - .165mm
jbraid - .19mm

Smackdown 40lbs diamater is .285 mm
J-braid 40lb diameter is 0.32mm

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:01 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Montanaro wrote:Finally bought some! 50 pound green.

no way....smackdown is much thinner....

15lb
Smakdown - .165mm
jbraid - .19mm

Smackdown 40lbs diamater is .285 mm
J-braid 40lb diameter is 0.32mm[/quote]

I would not entirely trust the diameter measurements before holding both lines in my hands. I have many different braided lines from Sufix, Berkley, Daiwa, Penn, Savage Gear, Stren, Spiderwire etc., which are all supposed to be 0.12 mm according to the labels. However, they are certainly not the same diameter...
Eg. Berkley Black Velvet 0.12 mm certainly appears/feels thicker than Sufix Matrix Pro 0.16mm !
Berkley Whiplash crystal is perhaps twice as thick as the stated diameter - see:
http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:08 am

All the talk and comparison about line diameter is pretty useless since braids vary in breaking strength despite what is on the label and the printed diameter on the label is usually much smaller than the ACTUAL diameter. 90% of the time, the thinner braid is going to break before the thicker braid and price is no indicator of strength/diameter ratio. Put a section of mono between the thin and thick braid via the FG knot and pull both ends. If the thicker braid breaks before the thinner braid then you have a winner with the thinner braid.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:26 pm

I'm curious- do braid manufacturers measure braid thickness before putting the coating on or after?

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Didnt mean to cause a stir. I forgot my smackdown was 65lb compared to 50lb jbraid.

Still nearly as thin and just as smooth. After a couple more outings Ive still yet to have my jbraid bleed

mickeyfin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mickeyfin » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:57 am

Recently tried the 40# j braid on a spinning reel and am satisfied with the feel of the line and casting. Haven't landed anything larger than a 2.5# calico bass. Next test will be tuna fishing this summer but feel confident about the quality of the product.
Ymmv
Mick

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:27 am

I just heard it is now available in WHITE.