Sunline Assassin

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sunline Assassin

Post by wvbassin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:09 am

fishballer06 wrote:I'm a diehard Sniper guy, but I broke down and ordered a spool of the Assassin in 15lb. during the current TW sale. I'll let you all know how it compares to Sniper once I get some on the water testing.
So am I. But the past couple of months I've been using cheaper line (CXX), and while it's tough, it's memory is awful. I douse it with KVD often. So I'm just happy to be back with Sunline! Lol Mine will be here tomorrow!

Stapsy
Angler
Angler

Post by Stapsy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm

I have been using 10lb Assassin for about a month. It is definitely slicker and more supple than Sniper but in a different way. I haven't noticed any difference in stretch between the two. It actually feels more similar to Defier Armilio than the Sniper. The Assassin is softer on the outside and will dig in when tying knots comapred to Sniper. Personally I find the sensitivity is slightly less than Sniper and more in line with the Defier Armilio. I have had zero issues with it though and have managed to catch a bunch of 3-5lb fish with it on shakey heads and crankbaits ranging from shallow to about 10feet.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Stapsy wrote:I have been using 10lb Assassin for about a month. It is definitely slicker and more supple than Sniper but in a different way. I haven't noticed any difference in stretch between the two. It actually feels more similar to Defier Armilio than the Sniper. The Assassin is softer on the outside and will dig in when tying knots comapred to Sniper. Personally I find the sensitivity is slightly less than Sniper and more in line with the Defier Armilio. I have had zero issues with it though and have managed to catch a bunch of 3-5lb fish with it on shakey heads and crankbaits ranging from shallow to about 10feet.
Nice. So would you say it seems a tad more manageable than Sniper? Not that Sniper is a pain in the butt or anything

Stapsy
Angler
Angler

Post by Stapsy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:40 am

Definitely more manageable than Sniper. Sniper has more memory and tendency to coil than Assassin. Personally I will probably stick with Sniper or Shooter but I can see people liking the Assassin.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:24 am

So I was excited to try this line, mainly because I have been using cheaper line lately. I spooled up Friday, and Saturday my steez was a pain the the ***. There was a lot of memory and was dealing with coils all day. I didn't use KVD on it, but being that I spooled it Friday, it should have been fine. i was pretty disappointed honestly.

Stapsy
Angler
Angler

Post by Stapsy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:18 pm

I am surprised you had issues. Maybe I am just too used to Shooter and Big Game. What line do you find to be more manageable?

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:56 pm

wvbassin wrote:So I was excited to try this line, mainly because I have been using cheaper line lately. I spooled up Friday, and Saturday my steez was a pain the the ***. There was a lot of memory and was dealing with coils all day. I didn't use KVD on it, but being that I spooled it Friday, it should have been fine. i was pretty disappointed honestly.

I'm curious to know what pound test you were trying. I have 15 and 10. 15's been spooled going on 2 months. Granted I have hit it liberally with KVD and stretched it a few times, but over all there is little to no memory at all.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25 am

I haven't noticed lots of memory in my 12lb either but I've only used it for cranking.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:51 am

Been watching this thread and am surprised on the comments saying Assassin is more manageable than sniper. Based on line diameter sniper is smaller than assassin and thought the coating would have made it stiffer, also. Thanks for the reviews.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:35 am

I used 15lb. I normally use Sniper in all strengths. I almost didn't want to say I had a bad experience with it because I felt like the oddball lol But truth is, it was awful, and really was a pain to deal with. I'm using it on a Steez LTD, and backlashes are are to come by, so it was pretty obvious it was the line. I probably won't buy it again, but I will be finishing my spool, and I'm sure KVD will cure the problems.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:05 am

wvbassin wrote:I used 15lb. I normally use Sniper in all strengths. I almost didn't want to say I had a bad experience with it because I felt like the oddball lol But truth is, it was awful, and really was a pain to deal with. I'm using it on a Steez LTD, and backlashes are are to come by, so it was pretty obvious it was the line. I probably won't buy it again, but I will be finishing my spool, and I'm sure KVD will cure the problems.

I have my 15# on a Core. Not sure if it's the KVD or the reel that helps with my experience. I've never tried Sniper myself.

I had the same experience with 20# Tatsu as you did with Assassin. Nothing I could do would keep that line from acting like 20# cheap mono. Others had no issues. ](*,) I still have half a spool left

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:50 am

Maybe I need to start treating my line with that conditioner. I'd like to see if I notice a difference.

I do like tatsu though! I like shooter better. If it comes down to you throwing the tatsu away and mailing it to me I'll give you my address :D. It can be stiff though I'll admit that. It really seems if you're running reels on the edge on either settings or techniques (ie skipping...) you have to match the line and reel up.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:53 am

5bites wrote:Maybe I need to start treating my line with that conditioner. I'd like to see if I notice a difference.

I do like tatsu though! I like shooter better. If it comes down to you throwing the tatsu away and mailing it to me I'll give you my address :D. It can be stiff though I'll admit that. It really seems if you're running reels on the edge on either settings or techniques (ie skipping...) you have to match the line and reel up.
Oh KVD makes a huge difference in my opinion. A bottle will last a long time too!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 am

Fluoro is more dense and less porous than mono or braid. From my experience, it seems that the line conditioner doesn't last very long on fluoro. The conditioner does work for a little while, but you have to reapply it too frequently for my taste. I would guess that the Assassin is even less porous based on the ion process and less receptive to line conditioners.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:15 am

toddmc wrote:Fluoro is more dense and less porous than mono or braid. From my experience, it seems that the line conditioner doesn't last very long on fluoro. The conditioner does work for a little while, but you have to reapply it too frequently for my taste. I would guess that the Assassin is even less porous based on the ion process and less receptive to line conditioners.
Yeah I've noticed I have to reapply more frequently with flouro.