Defier users please chime in

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Defier users please chime in

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:10 am

I love this line to death. Use 11, 13, and 15 all the time. I need a 6 lb mono, and fear I'll be disappointed with anything else. Is there a lighter test mono that's even somewhat comparable to Defier? What are you guys using, Super Natural?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Defier users please chime in

Post by smalljaw » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 am

I never used defier and I don't know what you look for in mono but I may be able to help. I started using Spider Wire Ultra Cast Ultimate Mono this season and I'm thinking it is the only mono I'm going to use anymore. I got it in 6lb and 8lb then 10lb and 14lb and I'm very happy with it. This line is thin, and there is very little stretch and that isn't a joke, it shocked me the first time I used it. I really like the abrasion resistance too, everything is great but there is one downside, it handles better than fluorocarbon but it has a little more memory than I like, but I found that 2 squirts of KVD Line ands Lure and it is awesome!! It handles fantastic on casting reels but with the KVD L&L it is the same for spinning, very strong with little stretch, so far I'm a fan, I'd like to try and find it in bulk spools as I'm going to stick with it and I think if you give it a shot you may like it as well but it depends on what you're looking for.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:52 am

I don't know Dan. I tried Spiderwire one time and vowed it would be my last. Looking at diameters this in 8 lb test is the same as Defier in 11 lb test, so I wouldn't be making much headway.

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:05 am

A few months ago I criticized some of the people who would spend 34.00 on a spool of mono
I take it all back !!!
This line really impressed me a lot. I thought Armilo was crap , but this line for me is where my search ends.
Yes its expensive so I use it sparingly, I use cheaper line for backing.
I got a spool of 15lb. test it casts so good my son put it on his spinning reel. He was using P-Line CX 12lb.
but this is his new line as well. So to all of those guys I gave a hard time about this line I apologize, and would like to say
thank you for convincing me. Would also like to say thank's to Matt from Sunline.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:24 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I don't know Dan. I tried Spiderwire one time and vowed it would be my last. Looking at diameters this in 8 lb test is the same as Defier in 11 lb test, so I wouldn't be making much headway.
This is correct. The 11 is just like usdm 8lb (diameter) ...I have used it for jerk baits quite a bit. How small are you really looking to go?? Something in the bass world or a really small true 6 lb class/panfish line?? What's the app??....not that've have the perfect answer other tan you at be SOL...Super Natural is not the answer IMO.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 am

I use Sunline Supernatural, Defier, and Armilo and am happy with all three. Armilo is the best line I use and now use it for most everything except deep crankbait and bottom contract. I still have Defier on some reels and it great line, also. I have used supernatural for topwater in the past and it's good line. I have 6# supernatural on my crappie and pan fish spinning reels and am very happy with it. Great shooting line. I will be buying only Armilo in the future, except for shooting small jigs, where the stretch is helpful.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Pegasus wrote:A few months ago I criticized some of the people who would spend 34.00 on a spool of mono
I take it all back !!!
This line really impressed me a lot. I thought Armilo was crap , but this line for me is where my search ends.
Yes its expensive so I use it sparingly, I use cheaper line for backing.
I got a spool of 15lb. test it casts so good my son put it on his spinning reel. He was using P-Line CX 12lb.
but this is his new line as well. So to all of those guys I gave a hard time about this line I apologize, and would like to say
thank you for convincing me. Would also like to say thank's to Matt from Sunline.
Don't want to say I told you so, but I told you so :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:58 pm

BigG wrote:I use Sunline Supernatural, Defier, and Armilo and am happy with all three. Armilo is the best line I use and now use it for most everything except deep crankbait and bottom contract. I still have Defier on some reels and it great line, also. I have used supernatural for topwater in the past and it's good line. I have 6# supernatural on my crappie and pan fish spinning reels and am very happy with it. Great shooting line. I will be buying only Armilo in the future, except for shooting small jigs, where the stretch is helpful.
I have a medium light stick not getting much use with a Bfs reel I'm thinking about using for spybaits. A technique I haven't tried yet. I don't want to use fluorocarbon unless I have to. Concerned 11 lb Defier may be a tad to much.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:11 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
BigG wrote:I use Sunline Supernatural, Defier, and Armilo and am happy with all three. Armilo is the best line I use and now use it for most everything except deep crankbait and bottom contract. I still have Defier on some reels and it great line, also. I have used supernatural for topwater in the past and it's good line. I have 6# supernatural on my crappie and pan fish spinning reels and am very happy with it. Great shooting line. I will be buying only Armilo in the future, except for shooting small jigs, where the stretch is helpful.
I have a medium light stick not getting much use with a Bfs reel I'm thinking about using for spybaits. A technique I haven't tried yet. I don't want to use fluorocarbon unless I have to. Concerned 11 lb Defier may be a tad to much.
I use 13# & 11# Defier for 1/4 oz Pop R's and like it. I use an Alpha Type R & X7 Super Elisel with the 13# Deflier and it's works great. ML rod should cast even better.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:17 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I don't know Dan. I tried Spiderwire one time and vowed it would be my last. Looking at diameters this in 8 lb test is the same as Defier in 11 lb test, so I wouldn't be making much headway.
The Spider Wire Ultimate mono is .009 for 8lb and .011 for 10lb, the Defier 11lb is .0108 which rounded up in .011, so it is a little thinner but not by a lot. The thing that turned me off from Defier is the knot strength, I'm a palomar guy and Defier doesn't hold that knot well, at least from what I've read. I'll send you a spool Mark of the ultimate mono Mark, maybe you won't like it but it made me rethink a lot of things with line. I use Suffix 832 for braid after I hated the Spider Wire Stealth braid but trying the ultimate mono was the best decision I made with line in a long time.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:37 am

smalljaw wrote:
The Spider Wire Ultimate mono is .009 for 8lb and .011 for 10lb, the Defier 11lb is .0108 which rounded up in .011, so it is a little thinner but not by a lot. The thing that turned me off from Defier is the knot strength, I'm a palomar guy and Defier doesn't hold that knot well, at least from what I've read. I'll send you a spool Mark of the ultimate mono Mark, maybe you won't like it but it made me rethink a lot of things with line. I use Suffix 832 for braid after I hated the Spider Wire Stealth braid but trying the ultimate mono was the best decision I made with line in a long time.
Well one thing I've learned is to trust your judgement. You've never let me down. If you wanna send me a spool I'll definitely give it a try.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
It will be, you'll get too much lift from the line and the bait wont stay down. I've tried mono (albeit 12lb p-line mono) and it didnt work well at all. 6lb Red Label has done me good with a spybait. I used 6lb p-line fluoroclear as well and the fluoro Red Label is a better option for that technique.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 am

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
It will be, you'll get too much lift from the line and the bait wont stay down. I've tried mono (albeit 12lb p-line mono) and it didnt work well at all. 6lb Red Label has done me good with a spybait. I used 6lb p-line fluoroclear as well and the fluoro Red Label is a better option for that technique.
For my small cranks I do use 8# Sunline Shooter, don't go lighter on Guntersville.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:02 pm

I wish they made Defier down to 4 or 6 lb test. I would like to try it on spinning reels. As for now, when I go that light, I really like Tatsu. It handles very well on my 2500 spinning reels.