10lb Power Pro and baitcast reels?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

10lb Power Pro and baitcast reels?

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:33 am

I've used 20lb on casting reels, but has anyone used 10lb? I typically use 16lb SX1 on all of my casting reels for basically every technique and I love it. However, SX1 isn't available locally. I was thinking of trying 10lb regular PP yellow in a pinch. I know they make 15lb and would go that route but oddly enough, sometimes places don't carry it or its out of stock.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 10lb Power Pro and baitcast reels?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:40 am

Why do you need to source it locally? Are you needing it right now?
I've used 10 lb Sufix Performance braid on a casting reel with no issues. The smaller the diameter the easier it is to dig into itself when freeing snags, making hard casts, etc. You just have to make yourself a little more aware. The difference in diameter between 10 and 20 isn't really that much. Personally, I'd go with an 8 carrier braid with a coating on it for that light of line.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:20 am

Used 10# PP on baitcaster since 2003 throwing up to 3/4 ounce spoons. I fished slop with spro frog and got this guy. I would say get the braid on very tight so it wont go in to the base after your initial casts.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:40 am

MediumHeavy wrote:I've used 20lb on casting reels, but has anyone used 10lb? I typically use 16lb SX1 on all of my casting reels for basically every technique and I love it. However, SX1 isn't available locally. I was thinking of trying 10lb regular PP yellow in a pinch. I know they make 15lb and would go that route but oddly enough, sometimes places don't carry it or its out of stock.
you're lucky you can get next day free shipping from tackle warehouse....try living north of the border, the wait is such a struggle lol...

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:06 am

Just for whenever I need some in a pinch and don't feel like spending $20 + shipping for a spool of SX1. I've never had an issue with light braid digging in too badly. I'm more worried about breakage and such.

I've never needed to overnight anything :)

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:55 pm

I've used 10lb PP on my PX-R quite a bit. Never had any issues either.

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:32 am

Sounds like "digging in" is more a problem of not having the base layer wound tight enough than what diameter braid is being used.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:46 am

I use 10 and 15 pp quite a bit for my baitcasting reels and I never have a problem
with spool dig... but that could be because the spools are pretty shallow. Additionally,
because I have my 10 uni/uni to 5lb fluro leader, my drag is not set very high which
also prevents any digging issues. I don't find 10 to be too different from 15 in feel/performance.