Braided Line sticking to itself on the reel ..

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Braided Line sticking to itself on the reel ..

Post by MudShark7 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:52 am

It suddenly dawned on me the other day that sometimes my braided line sticks to itself on the spool making it hang-up when pitching or casting lighter weight baits. I noticed it on both Sufix 832 and PP. Has anyone else noticed this and if so, did you correlate a reason for this?
I typically use 30 lb but am considering going to 40 or 50 to help with this issue. I have enough problems with backlashes due to lack of ability and don't need any additional help along those lines :lol:
I wanted to add that it seems as though the line that the length of line that had gotten wet from the last time out was more prone to stick together - maybe the coating, when wet sticks to itself ?!? The line I'm using is 1-2 years old.

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braided Line sticking to itself on the reel ..

Post by wvbassin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Braid will dig into itself on the spool. To prevent this, just make sure to wind the braid on as tightly as possible. It should feel hard when you have it all spooled, and not mushy or space in tbetween. Line size matters too.

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:59 am

Thanks WVB, yes I know that braid can dig into itself but I wasnt sure that's what is happening. But, maybe indeed, it is.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 am

New or well used braid?
With brand new braid there is sticking not related to digging due to the coating on braids. No matter the braid Smackdown PP 832 trilene stren PPSS, noticed it happens the least with PPSS. Ive had the coating cause sticking issues til line is a few weeks used.

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:31 am

i use fx2 and find that it will tend to want to dig into the spool right after i've caught a fish and its tested the drag...i try to remember on the next cast to just cast as far as i can and re-lay the line back on the spool on the retrieve to help it from digging in again....

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:23 pm

I've seen this happened with Teflon treated braid line, spiderwire stealth.

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:13 am

the braid is at least on it's 2nd year - well worn-in. As i strip line off the spool, the line catches and pops off every 6-12" until I clear the 1st 20' and it's not sticky underneath. And that would be consistent with the line being what I had used the last trip out, since I mostly pitch and flip.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:11 pm

MudShark7 wrote:the braid is at least on it's 2nd year - well worn-in. As i strip line off the spool, the line catches and pops off every 6-12" until I clear the 1st 20' and it's not sticky underneath. And that would be consistent with the line being what I had used the last trip out, since I mostly pitch and flip.
So basically what you're referring to is the line settling and conforming onto itself. There will be some pinch/bury in of the line. It being consistent with what you're using, is nothing more than semi-loose line compressed down by more line on top.

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:20 am

Yes, I think what you're saying is more accurately describing the problem I have rather than "digging in".
I think it's not so much a problem in casting or pitching heavier baits but more so with lighter baits.
That's why it feels like the braid is sticking to itself. I wonder if something slicker would fix it, like PPSS.
Any ideas to eliminate this problem?

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 am

:-c
MudShark7 wrote:the braid is at least on it's 2nd year - well worn-in. As i strip line off the spool, the line catches and pops off every 6-12" until I clear the 1st 20' and it's not sticky underneath. And that would be consistent with the line being what I had used the last trip out, since I mostly pitch and flip.
Easy solution is to turn the line. Strip it all off in such a way you can reinstall in the opposite direction. Problem solved. :-c

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:17 am

It's no problem to do that but, please explain to me how that's gonna solve the problem.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:13 am

When braid sticks to itself as you first describe that is the line telling you it's time to be replaced. Failing that, flip it.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about. This happens to me when I am using lighter lures and thinner braid. My theory is that usually lighter lures we tend to try and overpower the rod by speeding up to get a further casting distance. So usually what ends up happening is the spool tends to move faster than the lure is pulling at some point in the cast and the limper line causes more of a backlash. I've found it can be a combination of things such as too heavy a rod for the technique, adjusting the brake and spool tension or switching to a heavier braid such as 50 lb. I also have found wet line seems to help with this. The better you become at casting you won't have to put more power into the rod to get a further distance. It's kind of like in Golf, the smoother and more efficient the swing the further the distance and the better the accuracy. Let me know if i'm on target or not but I think that's what you are saying.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:59 pm

Definitely it is more prominent with lighter lures as well as working poppers.

I personally just do an extended cast and pinch the line between thumb and finger and snug crank it down every so often throughout the day. It basically gets rid of that for me.

I run 15# Fireline Braid on my Metanium MG7 with little to no problematic issues. 20# Suffix 832 on Chronarch 100D being mindful. 30# Suffix 832 on Curado 200E always attentive.

MudShark7
Angler
Angler

Post by MudShark7 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 am

I KNOW what You're talking about haha Yeah I've had my share of that No, I'm talking about the line sticking to itself
After a cast, you can release the clutch and pull the line out and you periodically feel it poppin loose from the line on the spool under it. But I Don't believe it is from digging in It feels more like the coating sticking to itself - but, I could be wrong and it could be a very shallow digging in. It happens when I'm casting/pitchin light T-Rigs the line catches and starts the spool turning backward and I end up with a backlash or at least way too much slack line on the spool.