Mono fishing line diameter

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mono fishing line diameter

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:57 am

I'm not sure if this has been ask before.

With all you advance fisher and out there I would imagine it has...

I apologize if it redundant..

I have several different spools of mono filliment line from various manufacture.

Im no expert but the feel of the line with my humb and index finger feels as some line are thicker then others in the same lb test category.

Does each manufacture have their own specification as to the diameter of each lb test line?

Is there a graph or breakdown of line thickness and abrasion resistance some where?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Mono fishing line diameter

Post by slipperybob » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Unfortunately for line abrasion resistance, it seems to me its more about diameter rather than material resistance. More is better. Harder is better. Fluorocarbon is better.

Being an ultralight thread fishing guy... Awe heck ice fishing guy. I pay attention to the mm diameter. The big difference usually starts with 4# lines. US market.

1# .09 mm to .11mm
2# .12 mm to .14 mm
3# .14 mm to .16 mm
4# .17 mm to .22 mm
6# .20 mm to .25 mm
8# .24 mm to .28 mm
10# .27 mm to .30 mm

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:49 am

Thickness doesn't have anything to do with abrasion resistance. It has most to do with the line material. Manufacturers put whatever they want for the pound ratings, so I just go by the thickness of the line for nylon and fluorocarbon.
Here is a chart of breaking strength for lines by thickness: http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-tut ... tern-scale

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:38 am

Some manufacturer's list line diameter on the package. Sometimes those numbers are wrong (when they are wrong, the line is usually bigger than advertised). You can measure it with a caliper. I've found the Pure Fishing brands, Stren, Spiderwire, and Berkley to be accurate to the labels.

The best way to improve abrasion resistance is to go to a thicker line. It takes longer to cut through a thicker tree. It's scientific fact.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:14 pm

IAY wrote:Thickness doesn't have anything to do with abrasion resistance. It has most to do with the line material. Manufacturers put whatever they want for the pound ratings, so I just go by the thickness of the line for nylon and fluorocarbon.
Here is a chart of breaking strength for lines by thickness: http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-tut ... tern-scale
That's a nice chart.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Save yourself the headache and and use some digiatal calipers that measure in mm and inches. I find suffix mono diameters to be pretty consistent with my own measurements. Trilene; not so much. You aren't going to feel a difference in diameter if it's a lb for lb comparison. You can feel the suppleness sure but using your fingers is no way to determine diameter thickness.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 am

You're going to find differences in brands, some of the Japanese companies have smaller diameters for the same # test. An example is Sunline compared to Trilene. Best guide for line diameter comparison I've found is going online to large tackle stores and comparing brand to brand.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:39 am

Some are laser extruded as well, which gives uniform diameter. I know Izorline is, but I'm not sure what else is...