FG knot question

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

FG knot question

Post by Randingo » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

I've been working on getting comfortable tying the FG knot to connect fluoro or mono leaders to my braid. I'm finding it interesting that the knot seems to behave differently in different combinations of line, both size and brand. At this point I have the mechanics of the knot pretty well under control--my fingers have figured it out. It seems that as I get better at it, the "finger cuff" portion of the knot gets more compact. In many videos I've watched, especially from saltwater guys, they make an effort to condense that section of the knot, and it certainly looks neater and feels smoother when tied that way. But a few videos I've seen seem to suggest that compacting the constricting portion of the knot isn't necessary or even desirable. The thinking in the latter case seems to be that the greater the length, the more area the braid bites into the leader. But it seems the guys who promote that version of the knot are relative beginners to the knot, while the more experienced and proficient (as determined by me based on the scant evidence of how they appear to tie the knot on a YouTube video) favor keeping the wraps close and tight in traditional knot tying style.

So here's my question: for those of you who have been working with the knot a while, do you feel that one of these ways yields better results? In my limited testing at the bench, both seem to hold up pretty equally, but that testing hasn't involved shocking the knot or fish. So I figured I'd like to hear some feedback while I'm still getting used to tying this knot. And as an aside that some of you might find interesting, in my tests, a blood knot holds more consistently than the Uni-to-uni join that seems so popular. I decided to test those when I saw that Matt Allen recommends and uses the blood knot.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FG knot question

Post by aquaholik » Thu May 05, 2016 2:16 am

Lots of ways to tie the FG. Once you get good at it, or rather once you find the method that works well for you, keeping the fingercuff portion tight should be easy. I've tied and tested FG knots hundreds of time but I've never made mine "sloppy" (lots of separation in the fingercuff portion). When tied properly, it should tightened and stack up neatly like a well made snell knot. Lots of separation to me means that it is not tightened and formed properly. If there is room for movement at the beginning of the knot then it is not tied or formed properly. That part that is not stacked properly can get nicked easily compare to nicely stacked fingercuff portion.

Now if you are talking about separation where the first half hitch is formed and the rest of the fingercuff portion:

I ALWAYS glove tightened after the first half hitch and sometime it creates a separation. That does not affect the knot strength. In fact, after you glove tightened it, the final half hitches or reverse uni has no affect what so ever on the knot strength. It merely provides slippage insurance and or creates a "ramp" to ease the mono back toward the rod guide.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 05, 2016 3:46 am

depends on the method used to tie it.

If the knot is formed under heavy tension there is no need compress. If formed under the tension of just ones fingers like some of the videos. Then there will be a need tighten it up to get it to bite.

I don't want to have to use my teeth in any way to tie a knot.

some of the bow like tools are extremely helpful. as it keeps everything under relatively heavy tension.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu May 05, 2016 4:57 am

The technique I prefer is to have the braid coming from the rod tip to my mouth, under some tension, then weave the fluoro round the braid. Makes a knot very easily and quickly. I couldn't make it work using some of the methods shown on you tube.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu May 05, 2016 7:34 am

@Aquaholik: Great pictures! Thanks.

And thanks everyone else for your replies.

I guess in general I'll have to keep trying to figure out how much tension is appropriate when I'm tying the knot. So far, I'm getting more consistent results by working the finger cuff section back and forth to get even tension throughout the loops, but I'm still in the learning phase. I'll be using more braid this year than ever before, so I'm anxious to get the knot down.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:38 am

This has been by far the most simple and effective method for me. No tools, no teeth.

Search for
jason ehrlich fg knot
On YouTube
UPDATE: youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uWL43hUbw
Last edited by y2k88 on Thu May 05, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 am

y2k88 wrote:This has been by far the most simple and effective method for me. No tools, no teeth.

Search for
jason ehrlich fg knot
On YouTube
Nice, I had another technique involving teeth, but geez that one is much better, thanks for sharing ill give it a try!

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 am

Randingo wrote:@Aquaholik: Great pictures! Thanks.

I guess in general I'll have to keep trying to figure out how much tension is appropriate when I'm tying the knot. So far, I'm getting more consistent results by working the finger cuff section back and forth to get even tension throughout the loops, but I'm still in the learning phase. I'll be using more braid this year than ever before, so I'm anxious to get the knot down.
Try this method. Can be done in 90 seconds once you are proficient. No teeth, no poker table, no rod holder, no legs, and great if you've got arthritis. Everything is stacked neatly the first time. I've personally tied this while drifting thru bridge pilings and operating a trolling motor. You can pause anytime and go right back to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWzLJlBbKNg

That thingmajic in the background is the line tester. FG knot test out at least 80% of true ABS most of the time and around 90% + when dealing with very soft and smooth braid. Nanofil test out over 90% of true ABS. J braid does very well also.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 am

aquaholik wrote:

Try this method. Can be done in 90 seconds once you are proficient. No teeth, no poker table, no rod holder, no legs, and great if you've got arthritis. Everything is stacked neatly the first time. I've personally tied this while drifting thru bridge pilings and operating a trolling motor. You can pause anytime and go right back to it.

That thingmajic in the background is the line tester. FG knot test out at least 80% of true ABS most of the time and around 90% + when dealing with very soft and smooth braid. Nanofil test out over 90% of true ABS. J braid does very well also.
Yeah knew this one, it may work fine I dont know, but I believe the technique y2k88 linked, jason ehrlich fg knot, look more solid, more compact and slick, because of the constant tension :-k

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 pm

The part I always have trouble with is making the half hitch finish come out smooth as the rest of the tightened knot. I found wrapping it under tension best....

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 05, 2016 11:37 pm

aquaholik wrote:

Looks pretty damn good for 50/50

I'll try it.

How does it work for light lines like .008/.006/.004 braid to say 4 -12 pound mono or fluoro?
I can imagine line without any rigidity would be a bit more difficult.....

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
aquaholik wrote: Looks pretty damn good for 50/50

I'll try it.

How does it work for light lines like .008/.006/.004 braid to say 4 -12 pound mono or fluoro?
I can imagine line without any rigidity would be a bit more difficult.....
You're too damn sharp Scooby. You need some rigidity in the mono/fluro leader. Works best for 15 lb and above fluro. For the lighter fluro, it's much better weaving the mono around a tight braid with your FG knotter. Do able with the softer and thinner braid like .004 and .006 to 10 lb and above. Here's 10lbs Kanzen(.0054 and accurate at that labeled rating), which has a weight of 5.4 mg/foot compare to 12.5mg/foot for 10 lb Spiderwire Stealth and 9.0 mg/foot for 24lb Gliss. 10 lbs Kanzen has an ABS of 9.55 lbs, compare to 19.63 lbs for Gliss 24 lbs and 27.95 lbs for Spiderwire Stealth 10lbs test. So needless to say 10lbs Kanzen is crazy thin.

Best shot I can get with the Galaxy S5: 10lbs Kanzen to 11 years old green Trilene XL 10 lbs test.

And here it is on the line tester:

Broke at 8.60 lbs, which gives it a 90% FG knot strength:

But the break is the most interesting:

Somewhere around 8lbs of pressure, the Trilene XL that was under the FG wrap broke. I don't use leader this light so I've never seen this with 15 lb and above fluro/mono leader. But the FG knot that is now separated continued to hold on to the Trilene XL until 8.60 lbs when the Kanzen 10lbs broke at the last half hitch, where 99% of FG knot breaks when the leader is stronger than the braided line.

Click on the photos since TT cropped them.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 am

Don't form loose wraps like this video. Pinch it between your thumb and index finger and pull it back 45 degrees to keep each wrap tight and next to each other. That eliminates the need to constantly draw down and stack the wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7uWUa4z6Y

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Fri May 06, 2016 1:44 am

aquaholik wrote:Don't form loose wraps like this video. Pinch it between your thumb and index finger and pull it back 45 degrees to keep each wrap tight and next to each other. That eliminates the need to constantly draw down and stack the wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7uWUa4z6Y
Great inputs you guys bring, that is the way I learned it first, involving teeth [-X

Now tonight im gona pratice the pinch 45 degree and the tension method to see what suits me better.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent information.