Sunline Shooter Defier Nylon Monofilament

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sunline Shooter Defier Nylon Monofilament

Post by Pegasus » Tue May 31, 2016 11:08 am

I spooled my baitcaster with the 15 lb. version went to one the local ponds , was trowing a 5" swimbait rigged on a
Blade-Runner Weedless Swim Bait Head 3/8 oz. 5th cast the line snapped as I was casting.
Until this point I really liked this line, I still do,I am just not so sure I trust it anymore with expensive baits.
I have tried Armilo, and I think its garbage as far as casting distance goes, so what is the alternative.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sunline Shooter Defier Nylon Monofilament

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Too many variables to just stop using the line. Breakage could have been a result of several things. If you haven't had problems in the past and this is your first, I wouldn't jump ship just yet. You won't find an alternative mono with all the benefits of Defier. I've never had issue.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:27 pm

I have been using the green Defier for the past six years without any issues. The only other mono i could recommend and i still use along with Defier is Toray Polyamide Plus and Evergreen HD.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 pm

You may want to check your line guides to see if there are any chips or cuts that could affect your line. Then again, you could have gotten a bad batch. Take the like off your reel/s neatly and send it back to Sunline.
I've been using Defier for quite a few years, both fresh and brackish water and Armillo for a couple years.
Good luck to you

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:38 am

Im using 13 lb and 17lb on multiple setups and have had zero issues

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:40 am

15lb. Hands down the best mono ever. Will never use another mono except armilo for topwater

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:46 am

Do you know where the line broke? Check your hook eye if at the knot. Most anglers don't make sure that the area where the knot is tied is free of paint, gaps, and irregularities. This is where I would start. As has been said, check your guides if farther up. Do you use rod protectors? I see a lot of my co-anglers break their line above the knot because they throw their tackle around. All it takes is one accidental bump and any line will be compromised. I don't buy into the bad batch of line theory that many propose.