Braid to fluorocarbon

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by JBcrankaddict » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 am

Cal wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:16 am
Never understood the need to tie an FG, especially for bass fishing.
If you think the FG knot is excessive... wait until you see my review on PowerPro's Hollow Ace :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh man, have seen it done, so I know that’s the truth :lol:

Drakestar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:17 am

I'm an FG Knot zealot, might try out the knot assist tool.

What I'd really love is a way to easily test the tension I need to put on the knot after finishing the wraps (so that the braid tightly clamps down on the nylon line). On lighter diameter leaders (let's say 10lbs), it's easy to break the line just because you pull with more than 10lbs strength. So that's always a bit of a tightrope walk - you want to pull as much possible to make the knot clamp down, but not too much so that the knot breaks purely because you put too much force on it (the knot was good, but it would have broken during a snag, as well).

I know there are various force gauges that theoretically could be used, but a) a good digital one is expensive and b) you could only use them from the end of the leader, and that's not where you want to pull when setting a FG knot.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 620
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 am
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by Good351 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm

FG for me.

FG is also my initials :)

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by mthao105 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:15 pm

Modified albright with an overhand knot to lock it in.

LMSMBassaddict
Angler
Angler
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 15, 2020 8:39 pm

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by LMSMBassaddict » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:25 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:35 am
I have used (double) uni to uni variatios and also fg knot. Only difference is how hard or easy it's made a knot on waters. Naturally Uni can't be retrieved through guides because it won't go. But this is actually good. Because fg knot can go through guides, and when it is retrieved through, then it will fail and lure and maybe fish is lost. Because of that uni is better.
That's actually not accurate. Maybe you have knot failures when you reel your fg though the guides but I've never had that issue. I actually can see how you would say that because if you don't tie it right it'll start unraveling. I avoid that all together by using the rizzuto finish and burnishing the 2 lines to a small ball. You don't need to do it to the leader so much as the braid. Or just keep super glue ( loctite liquid gels suck and take too long to dry) in your pocket and give the top knot a dab. Liquid super glue will wick itself into the right places. You just need a dab.

But you don't have to use super glue. I just burnish the braid down to a very small ball. If you set the knot with the right tension that leader will last and never come free.

jvelth74
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:36 pm

OK, that's possible. Maybe I still must try long leader with fg knot. Maybe long leader can improve my seatrout catches :) (Currently I have 2 foot FC leaders in use).
- Jukka

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:11 am

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by Siggywiggy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:31 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:36 pm
OK, that's possible. Maybe I still must try long leader with fg knot. Maybe long leader can improve my seatrout catches :) (Currently I have 2 foot FC leaders in use).
Ive never had problems with FG knot weakening trough a whole day of seatrout fishing with a million casts, I run my FG knot to between the first shooting guide and the second one from the reel. Usually I refresh the leader maybe once during the day because the leader line itself gets beat up and visually hazy.

Regarding the first tightening/clamping of the FG knot with light and thin lines - as long as you leave a tiny bit of leader tag after tightening (maybe 1-1,5mm) and doing your rizzotto finish, you wont get the knot unravelling from the end of the leader line which is always when my knot actually failed. Also you will know when to stop pulling on the knot - if youve done the FG properly usually you break skin before the leader, knot or mainline gives. I fish 0,22mm Savage Gear fluoro leader to 0,1mm Daiwa Morethan 12 mainline and actually intentionally breaking off the lure by bare hand will cut me as long as my leader is actually anywhere near its rated breaking strenght (about 3.5kg for me), FG knot was tied properly and your lure knot is good.

Good knots, quality thin line, FG knot - this is how I was able to drop down to very light lines giving me huge increase in casting distance and frankly also improving the action of lures.

Lots of leader material you buy is actually nowhere near its rated breaking strenght or plain old - for example Stroft FC2 can be absolutely excellent or absolute garbage with random breakoffs, depends on what spool you get.

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 pm

My FG has never had a problem running through guides all day long.

jvelth74
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:53 am

Spinning reel, which I was using when I had issues. That might be part of issue. FC leader (and knot) sound bad when going through guides. But now I'm not using spinning reels at all :) I had really long leader, longer than rod.

But thanks for good advises, guys! I should try again FC with FG..
- Jukka

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2021
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:30 pm

I use the FG on both spinning and casting, but my leaders are never long enough to have the knot around the spool.

Usually my leaders are a little shorter then the rod I'm using, I tie a FG knot and reel the knot up to the first guide and end
the leader at the reel.

I hope that makes sense LOL :strface:

jvelth74
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am
Location: Finland

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:25 pm

I was having thin braided in that spinning reel and to make casting more comfortable, I reeled knot to spool. It was more comfortable but knot didn't go silently smooth through guides and knots did not last.
- Jukka

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:29 pm

I learned a new knot the other day on youtube although I can't remember the name... You figure 8 the mono, stick the braid through both holes then tie a uni knot with the braid around the mono leader. Super easy to tie and apparently the strongest knot second to the FG. But much easier!

amso4
Angler
Angler
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by amso4 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:38 pm

Cal wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 pm
I bought the Daiichi Knot Assist 2.0 to help me tie a more consistent knot. My success with the albright and modified albright was inconsistent with lighter diameter lines and the uni to uni knot just doesn't sit right with even though I've never had one fail. The FG knot is longer than I like, but it's small in diameter so goes through the guides easily and the Knot Assist too makes it easy to tie consistently. Worth checking out 👍
They have a "knot assist tool" now on Aliexpress for about $16. Only a few months ago the only options were $45 on Ebay for Daichi Japanese models. I just picked one up for curiosity. FG knot is my choice for connection knot.

Drakestar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:29 pm
I learned a new knot the other day on youtube although I can't remember the name... You figure 8 the mono, stick the braid through both holes then tie a uni knot with the braid around the mono leader. Super easy to tie and apparently the strongest knot second to the FG. But much easier!
GT Knot. I'd be incredibly cautious about that knot. It got some hype because there's a video proclaiming it "the strongest knot" based on very dubious test (a list of reader-submitted knots that were compared). If you google the knot you'll find a comparison video on SaltStrong where the GT maxes out at 13lbs (at best!) while the FG reaches 18lb+. Even the Double Uni etc. beat the GT in that test.
Last edited by Drakestar on Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Braid to fluorocarbon

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Its interesting you say that. I hadn't had any breakages with it but I tied a San Diego Jam to my lure today over the typical Uni knot and the I snapped a jig off at the braid to mono knot! So perhaps not as strong as I thought. Back to the albright then

Post Reply