Stiffest Braided Line?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stiffest Braided Line?

Post by reason162 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 am

DenhamBruce wrote:I guess that my real question is basically what is the tightest wound braided line, since stiffness is determined by how tight the weave is.
Not sure if I agree with your premise. How would one even go about testing for weave tightness? Imo no 8 carrier braid is going to be "stiffer" than 4 carrier braids of the same diameter. I think you should be looking for the roundest 4x braid you can find, and see if it works for you in your applications.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:39 am

A braid should be stiffer if it is wound tighter, thats my assumption.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 pm

All braids soften up over time like an old pair of jeans thas been through many washings. Some braids remain stiffer longer while others smoften quicky. Sufix 832 has been one of the best I've used.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm

reason162 wrote:
DenhamBruce wrote:I guess that my real question is basically what is the tightest wound braided line, since stiffness is determined by how tight the weave is.
Not sure if I agree with your premise. How would one even go about testing for weave tightness? Imo no 8 carrier braid is going to be "stiffer" than 4 carrier braids of the same diameter. I think you should be looking for the roundest 4x braid you can find, and see if it works for you in your applications.
This.
I say the line manufacturers should clearly state how tightly their braids are woven, just like they state the # of strands. Big applause to Sufix with their 832 in this regard.

And remember that not only the weave but also the coating plays a big role in making the braid stiff/limp. You can't just go assume that a braid is more tightly woven than another because it's stiffer.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 pm

What are you using it for and what test strength? The larger the diameter, the stiffer it is. Regular power pro is stiff, but really rough on the thumb. It cuts through vegetation like a rip saw, though. I don't know if the same can be said for max cuatro since it's apparently rounder and presumably therefore less abrasive.
This is the way.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:58 pm

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Spiderwi ... er_reviews

Spiderwire Stealth is very stiff right off the spool but like all braids breaks in and softens over time. 50lb is darn near unbreakable.

DaveJ

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 pm

If by stiff you mean wirey....original fireline....or if you can find fireline xds..i don't think anyting ever came close.

Of the tightly woven lines...I found fins 40g to be the stiffest. And it doesn't change much with use...however whileI love the stuff...I know two guys who have had fits with it....

I don't find j braid x4 to be stiff at all...same with og power pro....espcially after use

Berkley tracer braid is pretty waxy. stays stiff for awhile on baitcasting gear.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:16 am

I'm looking for a stiff braided line to put on my baitcaster with around a .009 inch diameter. Hoping the stiffness will help with casting and less digging. I spooled up some Cortland Masterbraid but have yet to fish it on the water.

Prancing Pony
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Prancing Pony » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:I'm looking for a stiff braided line to put on my baitcaster with around a .009 inch diameter. Hoping the stiffness will help with casting and less digging. I spooled up some Cortland Masterbraid but have yet to fish it on the water.
I saw a Youtube review on the Berkley Trilene braid and the reviewer loved it. It's got a nice thick coating which gives you the right amount of stiffness, and also the "radial construction" for round cross-section to prevent digging in.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Anyone tried Duel Hardcore Super 8? I hear its a lot like Sunline Castaway, which is somewhat like FX2, which happens to be my favorite braid! I just need something similar that comes in lighter tests and hi-vis yellow or white. :-k