Daiwa J-Braid Opinions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid Opinions

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm

bleeds pretty bad and keeps too much water

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 am

I too am not a fan of this line.
It digs into itself pretty bad.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:14 pm

i bought a spool of 8lb on a whim earlier this year, and have since bought 3 more spools, all 8lb (one chartreuse, 3 dark green). i really like the line. i havent noticed it holding any more water than other braids, and the bleed isnt any worse than other braids either. recently my favorite line has been sufix nanobraid, so far, j-braid is every bit as good as nanobraid, casts just as well, holds up great, and it seems to catch less wind making it easier to feel a light jig in wind.

i probably wont buy anything other than the 8lb in j-braid as i am almost exclusively a walleye and finesse smallie angler, but it seems like 8lb j-braid is going to be my main line choice!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:31 am

Canga- wrote:i bought a spool of 8lb on a whim earlier this year, and have since bought 3 more spools, all 8lb (one chartreuse, 3 dark green). i really like the line. i havent noticed it holding any more water than other braids, and the bleed isnt any worse than other braids either. recently my favorite line has been sufix nanobraid, so far, j-braid is every bit as good as nanobraid, casts just as well, holds up great, and it seems to catch less wind making it easier to feel a light jig in wind.

i probably wont buy anything other than the 8lb in j-braid as i am almost exclusively a walleye and finesse smallie angler, but it seems like 8lb j-braid is going to be my main line choice!
I have no idea what people mean when they say J braid "holds more water"...I haven't noticed this at all, and the bleeding is 10x better than PP superslick or other comparable "limp" braids. Once it's bled, it retains color better than most. J braid also has incredible FG knot strength in the sub 40lb test range, and spool to spool has been very consistent.

To me it's in a league of its own at that price point, if you're looking for a limp braid there's really nothing better on the market imo.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Excellent thread. Thanks for the very informative comments, especially the water-holding property, that help me make good decisions

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:08 pm

I am not a fan of J Braid. I have two of the same reels both spooled with 30# braid. One has Suffix 832 and the other has J braid 8X. I have used several spools of the Suffix 832 and have never had an issue with it. I use the ghost/white so there is no color to bleed off. (I also have use the Hi-Vis green and once the initial color has worn off and the line is broken in it works well. Still I prefer the white.)

The J braid 8x was not horrible but I felt the 832 was better in most every way.

Nicky
Angler
Angler

Post by Nicky » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:34 am

Still loving my J-Braid Chartreuse
No color bleed to speak of
No water retention to speak of
just a great all around braid especially at that price point !!!!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:22 am

Tried 30lb X4 in yellow for a few weeks now and it really sticks to the surface of the water. Very annoying, not a fan.

Nicky
Angler
Angler

Post by Nicky » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Still loving my J - Braid
20 and 30 lb chartruse ,still no color bleed and no break offs etc 7 months in on 6 setups !!!!!

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 am

LIked it enough to spool up 50lb metered in hopes of getting 400 yards. And a knotted break strenth of 60lbs.

I still like how people blame a brand of braid for dig ins...

Try spooling tighter and not retrieving slack line. Braid doesn't stretch..So slack line will stack loosely on the spool.

I fish as much as any other obsessed fisho...How come I never had dig in issues because of the line i'm using.
And that's going back 20 years of only using braid???? And using 3-5 new brand/ make and model lines / year.

I've also only gotten a single wind knot in a decade )zeebass replacement spool..required shimming..so there was a huge gap at the top of the spool after they "upgraded" to the sand proof spool)..It's all about line management with braid.

And J braid bleeds less than most pigmented braids.