Braid for deep diving cranks

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Braid for deep diving cranks

Post by njbasscat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:38 am

Does anyone use braid for deep diving cranks in the 3/4 to 1 ounce range? Do you think it effects your catch ratio? I'm thinking about trying 30 lb braid with a 12 lb flouro leader. I've been using fluoro for years and have started working more braid back into the mix this year. Let me know your opinions.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braid for deep diving cranks

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:58 am

I use both, 20lb Maxcuatro and 12lb Sniper, and haven't noticed a difference in catch rates. I love the feel of braid when cranking deep timber, you know what's about to happen before it happens! Usually throwing DD22s and 6XD on these setups.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:12 am

I also switched. Thin diameter equates to less water lift, coupled with distance requirement to work properly, braid helps dredging deep. I’m getting an extra couple feet as result. Usually. But hookup can be tricky, I’ve had regrettable moments. Shock leader helps, though sacrifices some depth advantage, and seek the most limber tip you can get away with. And, many will think I’m crazy here, don’t set the hook on pressure. Just keep reeling. Counter intuitive, but I swear it helps.
PEACE

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am

#30 8 carrier no leader is my prefered deep cranking line. I fish along deep weed lines in 20 feet of water next to 18 foot long weeds. When that bait catches one of those stalks nothing but braid is bringing it back. The small diameter, strength and castibility are aslo nice too.

Shaft
Angler
Angler

Post by Shaft » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:42 am

I've been cranking with braid for years. 30 lb is best for me. I've used 20 a lot but for lighter baits. You will definitely have dig in and issues with a heavy crank with 20 and probably break offs when casting. I would use 40 before I would use 20. Brown marker is nice to color your last 4 or 5 feet. Use a leader if you want a shock obsorber. Unless its ultraclear I don't use a leader. 15 ft and deeper with water with a little color and straight braid work great for me. Soft glass rod is a must. I agree with the reel set too. I treat it a lot like a topwater bite. Once feel the bite just a slight hesitation and then reel fast and load the rod. I might set it harder if its way out on a long cast. Love deep cranking braid. Smoother braids are a must

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:27 pm

i've only tried cranking with braid once. it's was for shallow-mid cranks on an old daiwa tds crank rod, and it about rattled my teeth out! i would suggest finding the dullest rod you can find.

it's a shame that braid doesn't sink like fc. other than weight, you'd never need a reason to buy a rod more sensitive than an ugly stick.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I have a MB XX Launcher which is pretty moderate. I used to have braid on everything but about 10 years ago, I started using fluoro and nylon. I like to feel when I'm hitting hard bottom, grass, etc. With moderate cranking rods made from a glass/graphite blend, sensativity could be an issue. I don't seem to catch any more bass using flouro than I did with braid. I think I'll try some 30 lb. Any suggestions on a top quality braid that is smooth and keeps it color?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 pm

I've been using Maxcuatro and am very happy with it. It's very round and smooth and seriously haven't had any problems out of the 20lb I've been using. These big deep cranks have a lot of tension, so the line packs on tight during retrieve and dig in has not been a problem. I use 20lb to gain extra depth, but some won't need to do that, so 40lb would work well. I also love some Sufix 832, best braid I have used period, never had a single issue out of it since it came on the market, and once it gets below the surface, it sinks.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 am

I use #30 832

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat May 27, 2017 8:57 pm

What knot are you fellas tying for the fluoro leader ? Any issues with the knot getting damaged on the way out ?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:47 am

I use a 9 turn Albright and never have any issues out of it. Goes through size 4 and 4.5 guides very easily. Can't even remember the last time I broke that knot.

Shaft
Angler
Angler

Post by Shaft » Mon May 29, 2017 12:00 pm

Six wrap up and down modified albright works great. I have trouble getting it to sinch properly if I use more wraps than that. Lost a Brians prop B2(27.99) and learned the hard way how important it is to sinch almost to breaking strenth. Search youtube. Justin Lucas and Seth Fieder have a couple good videos on the modified albright

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 am

Has anyone experimented with a sinking braid? Sufix makes one as do several other line manufacturers.

Brad

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:58 am

Subscribed... I'm considering going to braid well for use on composite or glass rods. I like daiwa's j-braid x8 for it's smoothness, anyone try it cranking?

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Brad in Texas wrote:Has anyone experimented with a sinking braid? Sufix makes one as do several other line manufacturers.

Brad
I also use 30# Suffix 832 as LowRange mentioned. I use a 3 ft mono or Fluoro leader depending on the water clarity.