secret for fluoro and spinning

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

secret for fluoro and spinning

Post by gailt » Thu May 11, 2017 4:32 am

I have not figured out what i'M doing wrong,I spool on new fluorocarbon on my spinning reel,and presto here it comes spiraling off like a demented slinky,and I go back to mono or braid,what am i doing wrong do I need to use another fluorocarbon line,or spool on less ,or just forget about it.Oh I used 8 lb Tatsu fluorocarbon ouch.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: secret for fluoro and spinning

Post by Cal » Thu May 11, 2017 4:42 am

Could have to do with how you're spooling it onto the reel. Are you using a line winding machine to ensure the line is spooled onto your spool in a straight line off the filler spool or are you doing it through a fishing rod so the line gets all twisted as it fills your reel?

Also, if you can move down to 6lb test, that might help, but Tatsu is already one of the better handling fluoros out there.

We use it all the time on spinning gear with little issue.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 am

To Cal you listen...

I'll add it beneficial to snug winding on, not tight, and take care not to overfill the spool.
PEACE

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Thu May 11, 2017 10:34 am

OK I'm going to try 6lb,.thanks

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm

I had that problem initially. What I do now is fill the spool most of the way (less than I would with braid or mono) and then soak it in KVD Lure and Line Conditioner. I'll let it sit for a day or two then soak it again and let it sit for a day or two. Before I take it out to use, I'll soak it one more time then fish it and it usually ends up behaving pretty well.
You shouldn't have any trouble with Tatsu. Which reel is it?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 12, 2017 2:20 am

adam lancia wrote:I had that problem initially. What I do now is fill the spool most of the way (less than I would with braid or mono) and then soak it in KVD Lure and Line Conditioner. I'll let it sit for a day or two then soak it again and let it sit for a day or two. Before I take it out to use, I'll soak it one more time then fish it and it usually ends up behaving pretty well.
What does that do to your drag?
This is the way.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 am

adam lancia wrote:I had that problem initially. What I do now is fill the spool most of the way (less than I would with braid or mono) and then soak it in KVD Lure and Line Conditioner. I'll let it sit for a day or two then soak it again and let it sit for a day or two. Before I take it out to use, I'll soak it one more time then fish it and it usually ends up behaving pretty well.
I have had this happen on a pflueger patriarch model 2530,and a ito 2506c

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri May 12, 2017 9:53 pm

poisonokie wrote:
What does that do to your drag?
Nothing. I don't dunk in the stuff, just spray it on so it can saturate the line.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:34 pm

First cast ever with these settings (2500 Ci4+, 8lb Invisx) I must have lost 30 yards in a tangled mess. Now I use Blakemore reel magic because KVD Line and Lure is always sold out it seems when I need it, and I have fine results. After I spool up a spinning reel with fluoro (which isn't often) I spray it down good with line conditioner, let it sit for a few hours or overnight, then its normally good to go. If you keep getting twist, the dragging most of your line out behind a boat and reeling it in trick has worked okay for me, just always spray it afterwards...

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat May 13, 2017 4:40 am

I confess, I find this sort of baffling. I spooled up much more wiry fluorocarbon lines than Tatsu or Inviz-x (think P-Line Halo) without these problems. I used to just use the Aaron Martens method, spool upright and line coming off the bottom of the rotating spool. I do use the KVD conditioner after spooling, but not excessively. Nowadays, if I'm filling at home, I tend to use one of these devices: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/American ... PULSP.html

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Sun May 14, 2017 1:44 am

I just picked up a Cabelas arachnid 2500 spinning reel for 6lb fluoro use. I'm glad I found this thread. Reviewer on another site used 8lb fluoro without any issues. Do you think a line roller bearing would have any effect on the fluoro winding/spooling?

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:40 pm

I spool 12# sniper on my Daiwa sp. inning reels with no problems. I do as Daiwa says in the directions that come with the reels, wind the line from the bottom of the spool due to the rotation of the reel.

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm

I use 6 and 8 lb on spinning reels. The 6 lb is InvizX, and the 8 is Sunline Snper.

I use a Berkley spooler to get the line on the reels, spooing from the top of the line spool. I never tried the spooling from the bottom.

I spool the line onto the reel through my hand to keep it somewhat snug onto the reel.

On casting, after the cast, I pull slightly on line coming off the reel to snug it up. But not too tight. You must do this quickly because your bait is in the water and a bass could hit it when you're snugging the line.

I recall an old thread on the topic last year, or maybe the year before, I recall that some guys raise their rod to snug up the line.

The process works for me. But Iits not perfect, and I sometimes get a birdsnest caused by another loop coming off the spool, Maybe I forgot to snug up the line coming off the spool.

I sometimes use the KVD conditioner, putting it on the day before, I go outside and connect my line to a tree, back off some 20 yards, and then spray the KVD stuff onto the spool, Reel in a bunch of line, and then squirt more KVD stuff onto thespool.

I would appreciate comments on "my" process.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Adding a couple more points...

The line should be fresh... the older it is, the more coily it will be. But the term "fresh" has never been defined.

It should have been stored in a cool dry place, and away from sunlight.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 am

It took a little time, but I finally located the original thread on line uncoiling on spinning reels.

I began the thread back in 2015. There were numerous posts providing advice, some of which may be helpful.

Here 's the thread starter:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=63871&p=516676#p516676