Casting braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
biggiesmalls
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Casting braid

Post by biggiesmalls » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello,

Looking to purchase some braid for some new reels. I need it in 15 lb test for freshwater/light inshore duties, 40 lb test for tarpon/snook duties, and then something in the 55-70 lb test range for frogging.
These new setups are going to be higher-end that will last me a long time, as I don't want to really replace them. So, I'm going to be a bit picky about color. Need to match a Daiwa Ballistic, some Lew's Baitcasters, and Daiwa Saltigas. So, it's gotta come in blue for the saltigas - dark green for the Lew's - and preferably red for the Ballistic, but not a requirement, something like white would be okay there, maybe even a chartreuse color.

Any recommendations here?
Take care and tight lines,
Drew

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Casting braid

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 pm

If you're looking for red colored braid for your spinning reel, you can get the regular Power Pro in 10 or 15 lb test in the vermillon red. I have the 15 pound spooled up on my Daiwa Tatula LT. Sufix 832 braid has a white colored line, so you might also want to check that out.

For your Froggin set up, you should try either Sufix 832 or Sunline FX2. I have the 60 pound FX2 spooled up on my frogging set up, and it casts really well. I have Sufix 832 in 50 pound and that also casts well.

I'm not too sure which brands of braid offer the blue color though, so others might want to chime in.

biggiesmalls
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by biggiesmalls » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks for your reply Ryan.
Looking to stay away from PowerPro, only thing I've found it's good for is breaking and cutting fingers. JMO.

Sufix 832 does come in 15, 40, and 65 lb test, and does come in white, lime green, dark green, and a new blue color.
Looking to use only one type of line for these three applications.
Any alternatives to 832? Not knocking it at all - just wanting to keep my options open and truly find what will be the best.

Drew

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 pm

You should take look at Daiwa Samurai or J Braid as well, I hear really good things about those especially Samurai.

biggiesmalls
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by biggiesmalls » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:21 am

Did look into those as well. Only blue braid is the 4-stranded J braid though. 8-strand comes in dark green, lime green, and metered. AFAIK Samurai only comes in dark green.

Drew

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:09 am

4 carrier is good for frogging because it cuts (saws) through vegetation (and your fingers) easier.
This is the way.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 pm

Check out Kastking Super Power and Kastking SuperKast 9. Best value for the money out there.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.