Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

Post by Drakestar » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm

So... does Gamma Edge just get better reviews because their lines are a lot thicker, and people have different expectations for when it should/will break? Or is there more to it and it's actually a superior product over Sunline? To me it simply looks like people buy 8lbs Gamma Edge (0.28mm) and it breaks near Sunlike Sniper 12lbs strength (0.29mm), and they then praise Gamma Edge through the roof for how strong it is. Meanwhile, they're also fishing with much thicker line than they would/could/should and just don't realize it, but as a result might miss bites from finicky fish in clear water etc.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Gamma Fluoro and CoPoly

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:11 am

Gamma Fluoro:

I have not tried any of the Gamma fluoros.......I like a line I can see, so I have been using Vanish Transition for fluro and worm fishing. The largemouth in Florida don't seem to care about line color.

Topwater:

I historically use plastic worms 99% of the time, but I have been revisiting topwater fishing lately. I tried some Spiderwire EZ mono that I keep around for guest rods, it's just like Trilene XL. It's a nice easy handling line. But it sinks too fast like most monos, and stretches like a rubber band, lol

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on some new topwater mono yesterday........ The two at the top of my list that I wanted to try were The new P-line Topwater and Gamma Polyflex.

I have used the Gamma Polyflex in the past and I like that it comes in all colors..... clear, green, yellow, and Florescent blue.... it's a great all-around bass line, a true low-stretch, extra-strong line with above average abrasion resistance, and easy handling. Other low stretch monos similar to Gamma would be Stren Magnathin, Stren Extra Strength (discontinued), CXX, and Stren Brute Strength.

Note: Some of these lines I'm mentioning in this post have been discontinued but I still have some, and some can still be found on Egay.

But Gamma is top-notch.... for example, it does everything Magnathin does but has more abrasion resistance.....and less memory than CXX. I think Stren Brute Strength might beat the Gamma, but it's discontinued. But that's a big maybe, the Gamma is really really good, it would be a close matchup.

But I did not need to buy any new topwater line....I found a stash of 10lb. Berkley Ironsilk (discontinued) buried away in a dark closet in the bowels of my house, lol..... The line was made in 2007, lol! I took a few feet of line and wrapped it around my hands and yanked and the line broke like 6lb. test. This line has no resistance to Uv rays. So I unspooled the top layer of line from the spool, perhaps 15 to 20 feet of line to expose the line underneath, and did the break test again, and I could not break it. The virgin line below the top layer is as good as new!

So I used the Ironsilk yesterday with a Devil's Horse. The line is kind of like a middle ground between braid and mono..... it's slower sinking than other monos, and has low stretch and easy handling. Gone was the rubber-band like feel of the spiderwire EZ, and it floated better for a more connected feel to the lure, and less line-drag in the water. It's the best I've ever used for topwater fishing.