Fluoro suggestions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Fluoro suggestions

Post by SapperTyler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

I’m wanting to try fluorocarbon this coming fishing year for large mouth. I’ve never used fluoro on my baitcaster and want to know a good one to use In the 12#-17# range

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fluoro suggestions

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:46 am

Sniper. Mic dropped. 8-)

Team Bass
Angler
Angler

Post by Team Bass » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Same here try Sunline Sniper.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Depends a lot on what you want out of the line, and what you will be using for.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Depends a lot on what you want out of the line, and what you will be using for.
I agree. For example - i use fluorocarbon for 100-130 mm jerkbaits with rod 10-16 Lb. For the upcoming season I bought Seaguar R18 Bass and Sunline FC Sniper Invisible. Both 0.33 mm, 14-16 Lb.

Blacktail 8541
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blacktail 8541 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Seaguar Tatsu. Supple and abrasion resistant. very pricey

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:42 am

i've been using sunline assassin in 17# for jigs & plastics, and seaguar red label 15# for spinnerbaits & cranks for the past year-year & a half. i've been really pleased with both on casters.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 am

Toray

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 am

SapperTyler wrote:I’m wanting to try fluorocarbon this coming fishing year for large mouth. I’ve never used fluoro on my baitcaster and want to know a good one to use In the 12#-17# range
If you provide more info on what line qualities you are looking for, the type of cover being fished, and the baits that you will be using, you will get much better info.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:46 am

Sunline Sniper is a good all around line. Best bang for your buck as well

There are techniques where certain FC shine.

I like Sunline Shooter for bottom contact, like jigs and Texas rigs. It has less stretch, more abrasion resistance and is "more" sensitive than softer FC lines. The great attributes of this line also make it a little less managable and springier than softer FC lines.

Sniper is good for everything. Its a great choice for cranks, jerkbaits and those setups that tend to have a little of everything thrown on them.

Sniper is easier to manage on a reel than Shooter is.
Shooter is a better line for bottom contact sensitivity....but its expensive.

Id go with Sniper, as it is your first go around with FC.

NO MATTER WHAT LINE YOU PICK, GET THE KVD LINE CONDITIONER!!!!!!
This will help tremendously with the memory/springiness FC line is known for. A couple sprays per reel the night before you go out will help a lot.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:48 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:Sunline Sniper is a good all around line. Best bang for your buck as well

There are techniques where certain FC shine.

I like Sunline Shooter for bottom contact, like jigs and Texas rigs. It has less stretch, more abrasion resistance and is "more" sensitive than softer FC lines. The great attributes of this line also make it a little less managable and springier than softer FC lines.

Sniper is good for everything. Its a great choice for cranks, jerkbaits and those setups that tend to have a little of everything thrown on them.

Sniper is easier to manage on a reel than Shooter is.
Shooter is a better line for bottom contact sensitivity....but its expensive.

The Sunline Reaction FC is nice but, really only for cranks and other moving baits. Its the least versatile of the lines I use. Does its specific job well though.

Id go with Sniper, as it is your first go around with FC.

This will help tremendously with the memory/springiness FC line is known for. A couple sprays per reel the night before you go out will help a lot.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:...
Not only will KVD Line Conditioner help with FC 'memory', consistent use will extend the life of good FC. I have Toray Super Hard Upgrade that is 8-10 years old and still "tight and right" after consistent KVD use.

OBW, Toray Super Hard Upgrade and Seaguar Tatsu are the only two FC lines that I use. And Seaguar Fluoro Premier, in 12, 15 and 20# is the only leader material I have used for the past 7 or 8 years. The 12# Seaguar Fluoro Premier is the same diameter as 8# Tatsu (0.235mm) and 15# Seaguar Fluoro Premier is the same as 12# Tatsu (0.285mm), so you have the advantage of using a heavier line test (12 vs. 8 and 15 vs. 12) with the benefits of a lighter line.

Here is some info about Kureha/Seaguar (Kureha launched Seaguar in 1971):

“Kureha chemical company owns the patent on the double extrusion process.
They are now on generation 5 lines in Japan. Premier is a gen-3 leader line and the Tatsu is a gen-4 full spool
line.

The Seaguar Fluoro Premier leader line is going to give you the best performance when top shoting. (braid to fluoro) The leader
line is designed with a super hard core and a medium hard outer layer. = + The ability to withstand super high
static loads and impact, excellent abrasion resistance. = - Because of the harder outer layer the leader has more
memory than line, causing handling problems and less knot strength.

The Tatsu full spool line is designed with the same double extrusion process, but to eliminate the memory and
handing problems, the chemistry has been changed to a medium hard core and a soft outer layer. = + The ability to
be used as full spool and super high knot strength. = - Less over all strength and performance when compared to
gen-3 leader. ++ = Tatsu being gen-4 has a higher refractive index than leader, and all other single extruded lines. (less visible)

In Japan the gen-5 lines have an additional performance rating, which has nothing to do with overall strength or abrasion resistance.
The rating is all about the improved refractive index. Less visible, more bites.”

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:29 am

DrPerf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:...
Not only will KVD Line Conditioner help with FC 'memory', consistent use will extend the life of good FC. I have Toray Super Hard Upgrade that is 8-10 years old and still "tight and right" after consistent KVD use.

OBW, Toray Super Hard Upgrade and Seaguar Tatsu are the only two FC lines that I use. And Seaguar Fluoro Premier, in 12, 15 and 20# is the only leader material I have used for the past 7 or 8 years. The 12# Seaguar Fluoro Premier is the same diameter as 8# Tatsu (0.235mm) and 15# Seaguar Fluoro Premier is the same as 12# Tatsu (0.285mm), so you have the advantage of using a heavier line test (12 vs. 8 and 15 vs. 12) with the benefits of a lighter line.

Here is some info about Kureha/Seaguar (Kureha launched Seaguar in 1971):

“Kureha chemical company owns the patent on the double extrusion process.
They are now on generation 5 lines in Japan. Premier is a gen-3 leader line and the Tatsu is a gen-4 full spool
line.

The Seaguar Fluoro Premier leader line is going to give you the best performance when top shoting. (braid to fluoro) The leader
line is designed with a super hard core and a medium hard outer layer. = + The ability to withstand super high
static loads and impact, excellent abrasion resistance. = - Because of the harder outer layer the leader has more
memory than line, causing handling problems and less knot strength.

The Tatsu full spool line is designed with the same double extrusion process, but to eliminate the memory and
handing problems, the chemistry has been changed to a medium hard core and a soft outer layer. = + The ability to
be used as full spool and super high knot strength. = - Less over all strength and performance when compared to
gen-3 leader. ++ = Tatsu being gen-4 has a higher refractive index than leader, and all other single extruded lines. (less visible)

In Japan the gen-5 lines have an additional performance rating, which has nothing to do with overall strength or abrasion resistance.
The rating is all about the improved refractive index. Less visible, more bites.”
That Toray Super Hard Upgrade is nice stuff. I got some on clearance at Japan Tackle a while back for DIRT CHEAP. It had white packaging. I know there a few different ones out there. I thought mine was "Toray Super Hard Premium Plus Upgrade" or something. I remember an annoying amount of words.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

DrPerf wrote: Not only will KVD Line Conditioner help with FC 'memory', consistent use will extend the life of good FC. I have Toray Super Hard Upgrade that is 8-10 years old and still "tight and right" after consistent KVD use.
How on earth do you still have enough line left on your reel after 8-10 years? The line conditioner helps, but fluoro, especially Superhard, is not very porous. So, it requires more frequent application than braid or mono. I think that having clean line and guides is more important to my Chi :D . I like to walk out my flouro and reel it through a damp washcloth after fishing in water with much algae. This helps your line performance and longevity quite a bit if you are willing to take the time.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: That Toray Super Hard Upgrade is nice stuff. I got some on clearance at Japan Tackle a while back for DIRT CHEAP. It had white packaging. I know there a few different ones out there. I thought mine was "Toray Super Hard Premium Plus Upgrade" or something. I remember an annoying amount of words.
Toray Super Hard Upgrade packaging looked like this whenever I purchased it and I have a pretty good "stash" of it. Toray also had a Super Hard Strong fluorocarbon that was pretty good.

Doc
Attachments
Toray-Super Hard Upgrade.jpg
Toray-Super Hard Upgrade.jpg (238.21 KiB) Viewed 14781 times