Braided Line for winter Trout

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braided Line for winter Trout

Post by Isaiah20 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am

Has anyone ever used braided lines in the winter? I am mainly fishing 1/16 oz hair jigs for the local trout. Temps vary from mid teens to upper twenties. Would an ice braid be better since they are so called hyrdophobic.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Braided Line for winter Trout

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

Briad hates cold temps...or I hate braid in cold temps. The lighter the lures, the more effect ice has on it. Even using FC or mono can have problems with ice.

The braid likes to "grab" more water.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 am

I don't ice fish here in SoCal :lol: , but it is also important to match your line to your hook diameter. Many of the light trout hooks don't do well with braid because it is low stretch.
I tried braid many years ago for stream fishing int the Eastern Sierras. It was too unforgiving, on small fish especially. I would also bury my hooks too easily in rocks and brush.
I am fishing small streams quickly pulling fish out of cover. The small trout are especially delicate, and so are the lures that I catch them on. I think that you need a little stretch on the hookset. Many of the small trout die when you horse them in on braid. This isn't fun when you are catching and releasing. The braid also tends to open up small hooks. It can work, but you need to make sure that all of your tackle is matched to your situation. I use a lot of Sunline Sniper, but I am not fishing freezing temps.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 am

I run braid on my trout rigs but like Hobie-Wan said, if its freezing temps braid will give you more problems with your guides icing up. I use 8lb PowerPro with a 6lb Fluoro leader

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 pm

I use braid when I ice fish and it works fine, I do have some that has been better than others.

It seems the good braids for ice or cold weather have a thicker coating or waxier coating that helps prevent it from
absorbing water.

Good ones
Sunline Xplasma Asegai, its one of the best if not the best at not absorbing water that I have used.
Pline TCB 8
Fireline Ultra 8
Duel hardcore super 8

Ones I don't like for ice fishing or cold weather, basically anything really soft...
Sufix braid including the sufix ice braid.
PowerPro
Daiwa