Abrasion Resistance

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Abrasion Resistance

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 am

I have seen it written many times that Fluoro is more abrasion resistant than mono. Has anyone done extensive testing in this area? Recently this has been challenged by some YouTube channels,claiming it’s not any better than mono,,some suggest it’s actually less abrasion resistant.
"That went out witj Ceramic hammers"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Abrasion Resistance

Post by Cal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:11 am

Scattergun2570 wrote:Has anyone done extensive testing in this area?
2007 : http://tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Some fluorocarbon line is designed for use as a leader material and therefore has a much tougher outer coating. This males it less suitable for use on a reel as a mainline. Dont tell your dentist I recommended this, but, get a spool of casting line and a leader line and try to bite thriugh them. You will soon see the difference.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:20 am

It all depends on the formula that is being used. Some monos and fluoros are soft. Some are hard. Softer formulas of each material tend to have more stretch. Most fluoro leader specific formulas tends to be harder than most monos, and they have less stretch. The saltwater guys are the ones that tend to be more likely to use the real hard fluoro leaders because of the toothy critters.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am

If I need abrasion resistance, I use Shooter Flouro for my leaders. Waaaaay tougher than any mono on the market. After getting run through some rocks by a redfish a few times, the 18lb has proved itself to me.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 28, 2019 6:30 am

Youtube is a good source of information, but more so for entertainment. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:35 am

Beware of abrasion tests.........dry tests can have different outcomes than wet tests.....I would think the wet tests would be more important....... we usually need abrasion resistance under water, in the real world.

That said, fluro, across the board, generally seems to have more abrasion resistance than average mono. But there are a few highly abrasion resistant monos that seem to match fluro's abrasion resistance.