Color braid?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Color braid?

Post by Randingo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm

1nutinthewater wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I like green and yellow, I personally would like just plain white without any die.
Fireline Ultra 8 in Crystal color. I use it on many reels. Easy to see and excellent line.
Sufix 832 in ghost is pure white.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:22 am

Randingo wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I like green and yellow, I personally would like just plain white without any die.
Fireline Ultra 8 in Crystal color. I use it on many reels. Easy to see and excellent line.
Sufix 832 in ghost is pure white.
:D Just ordered some of this in 8#- love the hi vis 832 but dont like the fade
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:08 pm

I've only fished dark/moss green and high vis red braid. The high vis red I have on my finesse spinning rod since it's much easier to see the line move than the moss green.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 am

leggomye990 wrote:
ShimanoFan wrote:I prefer dark red, dark green, and fluorescent blue, green and yellow as well.
What brand line is that fluorescent blue ?
ShimanoFan wrote:Oh you would ask that!

Man I have no idea really. I work for a rod and reel repair shop and we get sent all kinds of stuff from manufacturers wanting our approval or reviews on it or whatever, but the fluorescent blue braid came to us in the mail from some company in Italy is all I can remember now.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It is great line. Silky smooth. From Italy is all I can tell you.

I'll ask my boss and see if he remembers the brand name. I am presently using it on a couple of my Stradic spinning reels.
Funny how it's asked. The line company from Italy is sold retail as ASSO lines, manufacture company Gruppo. I used some of their line for ice fishing. I think they subcontract the PE stuff from Japan as on packages it's stated Japanese material to something like that. Dyneema SK71 which is now trademark changed to IZANAS fibers like that from Diawa J Braid Grand.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:25 am

The thing about braid is how many companies are there producing OTC braid? More than I can count around the world.

But, when I did my research into the PE gel spin industry, I found at the time, there were only like 12 actual gel spin factories in the world, and it broke down like this... 7 in China, and 3 or so in Europe, 2 scattered across Asia, and one in USA. Just one is all I could find.

Basically these gel spin factories make cotton candy like fibers in much the same way, but, each gel spin factory uses a slightly different method of doing this, so the fibers are not uniform across the gel spinning factories.

When I researched it, I found some of the factories were pioneering newly developed techniques and methods for making better gel spin fibers and seeking patent and copyright type of protections for their developing processes involving specific heat, chemicals, rotation speeds, and fiber stretching details trying to make the absolute tightest stretched fibers with strongest and most flexible results.

They are rapidly improving in this area too! Just search out some of the engineering reports on this industry to get an inside look.

While the end user brands basically get to "protect" their processes for making braid out of a pile of gel spun fibers. It is not the usual case for an end user brand to get into protecting the gel spun fibers because usually the gel spin factory companies are the ones protecting that process and those end user brands don't meddle into that unless they actually own one of those gel spin factories which could very well be the case here.

So we will see a variety of quality hit the market when these 12 factories sell the fibers to various braid brands who all they do is come up with some special weave all their own, and color dies, and then the coatings, some lines are dry and some have slick coatings added. They stick their brand name on it, package it and sell it to us.

The key to great braid lay in the spinning and stretching of the fibers as much as it is in the smoothness of the weave.

It works like this... take a rubber band. It stretches. Now stretch it as far as you can until it stops stretching. Now add specific heat applications along with chemicals and they can make this rubber band stretch just a little bit more beyond room temp stretching. It is like 99.9% stretched to just before snapping.

Now, through the gel spin heat and chemical process, the rubber band is now stretched so tight it can NOT stretch any further without molecular separation or breaking. Now FREEZE this tightly stretched rubber band at precisely this level of stretch.

The melted, chemically treated PE fibers stretch under high heat right to the breaking point, and then solidified at that tightly stretched point.

So braid is basically plastic fibers already stretched to the breaking point, solidified at this point, and then woven into braid. And this is why there is no stretching of braid, because the gel spin process has already done it at the molecular level.

Ever notice putting heat to braid makes it shrivel up? It is that stretched stored energy releasing as the plastic softens, it pulls back in quickly.

Names like Dyneema or spectra mean nothing really. Just copyright protected trade names is all that is. A fancy way of saying PE. It is how those brands try and come across to us as special and different from all the others with advertising gimmicks.

Point of comment, most brands source their PE gel spun fibers from these 12 factories or so with China being the cheapest and also some of the most innovative I found in pushing this technology forward. (I read several of the engineering papers on it) The rest is just proprietary weaving, colors, and coatings and nothing more.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 am

So what is your favorite braid?

Not being a smart ass, just curious...

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:09 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 am
So what is your favorite braid?

Not being a smart ass, just curious...
Today I am fine with cheap chinese dry braid. I have yet to lose a fish on it. I can not remember the last time I broke a fish off. Years. I use only braid with no leaders.

I do not like any braid line with slick coatings on it. Dry only.

But if I were to spend some dough on line, the last time I bought some sufix 8 ply, and some Italian ice by Gruppa was given to me that I like... I will not buy power pro any longer. Way over priced. I also like Berkley FireLine in grey smoke color. Has served me well over the years. A fused PE line. Softens up nicely as it ages too.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 pm

I like the 832 Ghost, too. Easy to see and you can hit the last couple feet with a Sharpie and it hides just as well as any moss green braid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 am

Thanks, ShimanoFan, for the excellent info on manufacturing the PE fibers that comprise our braided lines. I would say, based on some very cheap Chinese braids I picked up from A-zon to use as backing, that the braiding and QC of most name brand braids counts quite a bit in terms of the performance and consistency of the finished product. Obviously, it’s not universal that expensive lines are always superior to inexpensive lines, but I don’t have enough time to spend on the water that I want to waste any of it experimenting with poorly made line when I should be catching fish. So while I’ve certainly fished J-braid, I won’t fish (insert cheap generic line name here) because, while J-braid performs better for some than for others, that is generally based on what properties each person values in a line as well as the fisherman’s style and the surroundings in which the line is being fished, not on whether there are are weak sections of line or other manufacturing defects. Is it also possible that the manufacturers of the gel spun fibers produce “price point” products that differ in QC as well formulation of the plastic used in creating the fibers supplied to line manufacturer? We know that’s the case with fluorocarbon lines, which come from only a small number of plants but are produced in many formulations?