nanofil upgrade

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
rucker
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

nanofil upgrade

Post by rucker » Fri May 24, 2019 3:55 pm

im looking for a line that is a step up from nanofil! i been using nanofil for years now and I love the line. is there anything that out performs nanofil.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: nanofil upgrade

Post by Edward78 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:22 am

Ok from my experiences Gliss is a little better than Nanofil when it comes to durability but not much, now for castability I think gliss is hands down much better. If you do try gliss just know if its half as strong as its rated. So if you want #20 line get 40, I mean under perfect conditions I'm sure 40 would support 40lbs but when it comes to fishing its 20 at best.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am

Gliss is a nice line. Color fades pretty quick. The line is really quiet coming through the guides.

I used 2lb Nanofil on my Extreme BFS setup. No real problems except tying leader knots. The line can be difficult to get a leader knot to not slip.

I now have been using 3lb Sufix Nanobraid. It been a really good line. A lot easier to tie leader knots and I have not noticed too much of a difference in casting.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

antonv
Angler
Angler

Post by antonv » Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am
Gliss is a nice line. Color fades pretty quick. The line is really quiet coming through the guides.

I used 2lb Nanofil on my Extreme BFS setup. No real problems except tying leader knots. The line can be difficult to get a leader knot to not slip.

I now have been using 3lb Sufix Nanobraid. It been a really good line. A lot easier to tie leader knots and I have not noticed too much of a difference in casting.
Hi Hobie-Wan Kenobi,

Any particular reason why you switched to Nanobraid from Nanofil? I was quite impressed by the left over Nanofil you had on the spool and am actually planning to switch to 3-4 lbs Nanofil.

-Anton

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

antonv wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am

Hi Hobie-Wan Kenobi,

Any particular reason why you switched to Nanobraid from Nanofil? I was quite impressed by the left over Nanofil you had on the spool and am actually planning to switch to 3-4 lbs Nanofil.

-Anton
No real reason. I had the 3lb Nanobraid I bought on clearance and wanted to try it. The 2lb Nanofil is strong but, not great at tying knots.

I do a lot of stream trout fishing and snags are common. Retying leader knots with Nanofil is time consuming in the field.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing