Securing braid to the rod?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Securing braid to the rod?

Post by tracker01 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:57 am

I use mono on my spinning gear. I just tried braid and have a situation. With mono when I secure my line to the hook keeper it has some stretch in it to keep my line taught. With braid my line has a mind of it own. It’s loose and tangles with other things close to it. How do you secure your lure when it’s attached to braid?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Securing braid to the rod?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Adjust the drag to where it will just slip should the rod blank bend. I'd rather keep it a little loose than tight during transport if I have a bait tied on. Not really sure if there's another solution.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon May 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I use the velcro lure covers anytime I worry about the lure coming off the hanger, or if the exposed hooks will cause trouble in transport. I haven't found a better way short of taking the lure off.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 am

A rod glove will help quite a bit, even if it doesn't go all the way down to the hook keeper.
This is the way.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 am

How many rods or how are you transporting your rods?

I'd say that on my lighter power rods, I get unwanted line tangles here and there. On my heavy rod power, I don't have any issues with braids. Since the rod tip isn't flexing during transport/travel, the line never loosens up.

Other than that, instead of going straight to the hook keeper. Have you tried to wrap the loose line around your pole before putting lure to hook keeper?
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:27 am

slipperybob wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:42 am
How many rods or how are you transporting your rods?

I'd say that on my lighter power rods, I get unwanted line tangles here and there. On my heavy rod power, I don't have any issues with braids. Since the rod tip isn't flexing during transport/travel, the line never loosens up.

Other than that, instead of going straight to the hook keeper. Have you tried to wrap the loose line around your pole before putting lure to hook keeper?
I just started using braid on one of my light action spinning rods. 6’3” m/xf. Some good ideas to try. I like the “loose line around the pole” deal.
Thanks

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 am

Good suggestion to loosen the drag- when I go straight braid that's what I do.

I see a lot of folks with the rod tips bent when they secure the hook to the rod. As nice as I can (sometimes, depending on the situation) I mention, perhaps they should back off a bit in case that hook comes off into someone's face at 30mph.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 am

I put the lure on the hanger, tighten up any slack, then grab the line mid-way of the guides and wrap it around the blank, letting one guide be the "anchor" that the line holds onto.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:55 am
I put the lure on the hanger, tighten up any slack, then grab the line mid-way of the guides and wrap it around the blank, letting one guide be the "anchor" that the line holds onto.
^^^ This the trick
PEACE